Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Forza Motorsport Resource Extraction (.carbin)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
TolikGT
beginner

Re: Forza Motorsport Resource Extraction (.carbin)

Post by TolikGT »

Forza Horizon 3 carbin importing 3dsimed 3.1i Easy Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xakdrUKN_is
Andrakann
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Andrakann »

TolikGT wrote:Forza Horizon 3 carbin importing 3dsimed 3.1i Easy Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xakdrUKN_is
You also need a Forza Horizon 3\media\_library\ folder extracted, and content of Textures_pri_44 must be moved to Textures folder, then content of Textures_pri_45 moved to Textures folder with confirmation of overwriting existing files, because "pri_44" contains broken textures, and "pri_45" have their fixed versions.
Same for Materials_pri_44 and 45 in both media\_library and media\cars\_library folders.

You can check for everything is loading correct with Process Monitor tool, setup it like this:
(FOR_RangerT6_14 is missing a for_55_capriturbo_81_livery_002_diff_65278ac2-27a6-4c87-9187-4d7127b60067.swatchbin - seems like my copy of game doesn't have this texture at all, strange...)
TolikGT
beginner

Post by TolikGT »

but there

Forza Horizon 3 3D models
all cars in fbx and obj formats with textures in swatchbin and dds
https://www.facebook.com/pg/3Dcarmodels ... 3084364128
zwrtron
beginner

Post by zwrtron »

Hey there :wink:
I would like to announce progress with Modelbin Texture Collector in 4 points.

MODELBIN TEXTURE COLLECTOR:
Modelbin Texture Collector is tool, which scans modelbins of Forza Horizon 3 car archive and collects all textures required to properly texture whole car.
In average, there are ~200 textrures per each car.
If you are interested, make sure you watch all videos related to Modelbin Collector ->Tado Hmn Youtube Channel

1.) LIBRARY ARCHIVES
In current state, the collector will need only four archives of _library folder to work propertly (around ~1GB) and the one of car being processed.
The archives containing textures COULD NOT be original archives, modified/repacked archives with correct names will work. If you do not own the game, you can download the library from somewhere.
NOTE: If you own the game, you CAN use original archives in "media/cars/_library/", there is no need to extract anything. The Collector reads only, also no backup needed.

2.) CAR ARCHIVES
The same about car archives. They CAN be original or repacked (downloaded from somewhere), also there is no need to extract anything.
During the process of collection, the collector scans car archive for modelbins, materialbins and swatchbins and CHANGES pointers for texture references. See reference down below.

3.) CONSOLE APPLICATION
A friendly "GUI". See video.

4.) ALL DURING A FEW SECONDS.

EXAMPLE (redirecting pointers):
Let's say we processing archive: D:\MyModels\downloaded_bmw_m2_16.zip and our library is located D:\MyModels\library\
If the entry refers original swatchbin in car archive : Game:\Media\cars\bmw_m2_16\textures...\gauge.swatchbin
The tool finds it in CAR ARCHIVE' and changes to (for example):
D:\MyModels\downloaded_bmw_m2_16.zip\2016 BMW M2\textures\gauge.swatchbin
If the entry refers to library: Game:\Media\cars\_library\textures...\badge.swatchbin
The tool finds it in "Textures.zip" OR "Textures_pri_45.zip" and changes to:
D:\MyModels\library\textures.zip\badge.swatchbin

Hard to explain, even harder to code. :]

See latest video on Youtube!

Why bother if there is 3DSimEd ?

Andrakann
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Andrakann »

zwrtron wrote:Why bother if there is 3DSimEd ?
Maybe the next version of 3DSimEd can do the same?..

Your tool is very need yesterday, not so hype need today, but i'm unsure about tomorrow.
zwrtron
beginner

Post by zwrtron »

Andrakann wrote:Maybe the next version of 3DSimEd can do the same?..
Hey, thank you for reply. Not sure if it's just me or your reply sounds frustrating, but the version of 3.1i of 3DSimEd I've tried collected the textures shown on the screenshot above. Next Version, do you mean upcoming? Perhaps next version of this paid software will do the same, no doubt. Maybe in next version there will be no need to make fake directories for library, who knows.

The sentense "Why bother if there is 3DSimEd ?" was supposed to say "look what is different" instead of "look my tool can do it better" as it may sound like [roll]

I am posting an progress in here to get ideas for the development, how to do it better, how can I improve the collector to be better. For example like idea of hashless filenames you have suggested for Swatchbin Converter.
Andrakann wrote:Your tool is very need yesterday, not so hype need today, but i'm unsure about tomorrow.
Huh?
minime891
advanced

Post by minime891 »

@zwrtron Looking great. :D Still using the ones you sent me.
Andrakann
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Andrakann »

zwrtron wrote:
Andrakann wrote:Your tool is very need yesterday, not so hype need today, but i'm unsure about tomorrow.
Huh?
Exactly! :keke:

Sorry for "your reply sounds frustrating", but your development cycle is tends to be overpolished (second time!) without any release, so it's need to push a little for birth something ;)

Congratulations with release :)
zwrtron
beginner

Post by zwrtron »

Andrakann wrote:Sorry for "your reply sounds frustrating", but your development cycle is tends to be overpolished (second time!)
Yes you are right, thats because we always make sure that the tool will not fail or produce logical errors, have optimized algorithms with lowest possible O notation difficulty and does not perform any unnecessary operations. This results to fact, that collection of single archive using collector went from 9-15 seconds to 2-8 seconds (on my machine) and thats even without using parallelism. :eek:
{ there is a parallel (mutli thread, stream allocated) version of Swatchbin converter in development, which does a 2 minute task of (latest) 0.41 version in ~28 seconds, but shhhh }
As I mentioned earlier, both me and Tado had exams term so we had no free time to spend on development, but as was promised, after the exams term, we started to work on it and the result is out.
:]
MMWsmokey
beginner

Post by MMWsmokey »

Thank you so much for release! Tested it and its working perfectly :)
zwrtron
beginner

Post by zwrtron »

Modelbin Texture Collector 1.0.3 Update
For those who have previous (console version), please redownload to this fixed GUI version. Link in my signature.

• Tado wrote our very own from-scratch adapter for accessing non-default filesystems (like ZIP archives are), with our own, very fast, filesystem provider and accessor. In short, that means that a truezip library which has enormous 4.7 MB is no needed anymore and the tool itself has only 300KB!

• Brand new approach of collecting files from archive.
Instead of read -> write method there is new method based on path streaming, only possible because of our file system provider and it's very fast lookup feature !

• Collecting single archive is now more than 2 times faster! (depends on HDD speed, the collector wait until files are written and stream closed).

• Fixed issue with skipping built-in materialbins and swatchbins because of lowercase or uppercase letters. (non default filesystems are case sensitive, but those we have are not)

• Fixed issue with "&" symbol in material names instead of "%". (FER_500TR_54)
oldman
n00b

Post by oldman »

An old man has an interrogation ....

What am I doing wrong???

I create a folder with Textures.zip, Materials.zip etc ... and an encrypted Car_for_test.zip.

I work with console version. I get the message the way to Textures.zip etc. is valid.

I type COLLECT Car_for_test zip. After this action I get only a blank XML file, no collection with swatch.bin

Must decrypt the files? Have I read something not properly understood?

My old brain is now smoking .... :frizzy:
I am old, but not my mind (:
zwrtron
beginner

Post by zwrtron »

oldman wrote: I create a folder with Textures.zip, Materials.zip etc ... and an encrypted Car_for_test.zip.
Make sure you used these inside cars media\cars\_library NOT the ones in media/_library ! Private message me if you have any questions.
oldman wrote:I work with console version. I get the message the way to Textures.zip etc. is valid.
If you are using console version, please switch to latest (GUI) version as it has some bugs fixed.
You have message that directory is valid, because the collector check archive existence, no its content.

Please, see this kind-of-outdated video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPM74dAOl80
oldman
n00b

Post by oldman »

@zwrtron
Thank you for your offer, I will come back to it.

New question...

I can not find a complete axle suspension in the many parts for the cars. Only in the folder undercarriage are stub axles, but no springs and shock absurd .... strange! Or do I need a new pair of glasses?

3DsimED has small problems with the tire size, but this is not bad. The correct tire size and rim size I can calculate myself.

The game is well designed in many areas. Only the tuning parts for old cars disturb me. Wider tires or other exhaust is okay, but these wings ..... no no ... :bleh:

I like classic cars in original condition ...

my absolute favourites :up:

Opel Kadett
Opel GT
Volvo 1800
Volvo 123
Mercedes 280 SL
Holden Sandman
I am old, but not my mind (: