Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

The House Of The Dead 2 (PC) .bin files

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
diszxchat
n00b

The House Of The Dead 2 (PC) .bin files

Post by diszxchat »

I'm not sure if this applies to "The House Of The Dead" and "The House Of The Dead 3" (<- I believe it's another format but the first, I'm not quite sure)

But here it goes,

everything except its game sounds are in .bin (Binary) format. They're from PC.

I have seen several threads stating other games in .bin format so I hope this works as well.

No-one has ever make a topic about this game so it's kind of weird. I wonder if it's possible to do it.

Here's the file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B65RgA ... 51elE/view
diszxchat
n00b

Re: The House Of The Dead 2 (PC) .bin files

Post by diszxchat »

Well, I will just wait for a week...

CAM - Camera position (On-Rail)
COLI - Collider (Maps)
EVT - Event
MOT - Animations / Motions
POL - Models and stuff
SOUND - Sounds
TEX - Textures
Mortisanti
ultra-n00b

Post by Mortisanti »

I'm interested in this project as well, but I don't have the knowledge to identify the file structures in a Hex Editor nor write a BMS script to extract from the game archives.

Oddly enough, it's possible to open "coli.bin" located in the "coli" folder with WinRAR. Within it are files all with the same names as the ones in the "coli" folder and a .TBL file that can be opened in notepad:

Code: Select all

F COLI.BIN;1                        	coli.bin
F COLI0.BIN;1                       	coli0.bin
F COLI1.BIN;1                       	coli1.bin
F COLI2.BIN;1                       	coli2.bin
F COLI3.BIN;1                       	coli3.bin
F COLI4.BIN;1                       	coli4.bin
F COLI5.BIN;1                       	coli5.bin
F COLI6.BIN;1                       	coli6.bin
F COLIT.BIN;1                       	coliT.bin
Some other random info: I recently learned that you can go into the "tex" folder and rename "scr_blood_red.bin" to "scr_blood_green.bin" to replace the monsters' green blood with red blood.
egregiousguy
beginner

Post by egregiousguy »

The .bin files in this game are definitely different that Hotd 1, III and 4; I can tell you that from experience since I've successfully extracted models from those games. I'm planning to look into these .bin files early next year, hopefully I can make some progress on it.
Current projects:
The House of the Dead 1-4 (Model/Map extraction)
Rent-A-Hero No. 1 (Translation/Model updates)
Jet Set Radio (Model/Map extraction)
Mortisanti
ultra-n00b

Post by Mortisanti »

egregiousguy wrote:The .bin files in this game are definitely different that Hotd 1, III and 4; I can tell you that from experience since I've successfully extracted models from those games. I'm planning to look into these .bin files early next year, hopefully I can make some progress on it.
Nice. Not to mention, I think the .bin files between the version published by SEGA and the one published by Empire Interactive may be different (or I wasn't able to rip subchannel data from my CD properly). More info, here.

Also, here's a BMS script by chrrox that can be used to decompress the texture .bin files:

#House of the dead
#quickbms script by chrrox
comtype PRS
get NAME basename
get EXT extension
string NAME + "_dec."
string NAME + EXT
get SIZE long
get ZSIZE asize
math ZSIZE -= 4
clog NAME 4 ZSIZE SIZE
egregiousguy
beginner

Post by egregiousguy »

Mortisanti wrote:
egregiousguy wrote:The .bin files in this game are definitely different that Hotd 1, III and 4; I can tell you that from experience since I've successfully extracted models from those games. I'm planning to look into these .bin files early next year, hopefully I can make some progress on it.
Nice. Not to mention, I think the .bin files between the version published by SEGA and the one published by Empire Interactive may be different (or I wasn't able to rip subchannel data from my CD properly). More info, here.

Also, here's a BMS script by chrrox that can be used to decompress the texture .bin files:

#House of the dead
#quickbms script by chrrox
comtype PRS
get NAME basename
get EXT extension
string NAME + "_dec."
string NAME + EXT
get SIZE long
get ZSIZE asize
math ZSIZE -= 4
clog NAME 4 ZSIZE SIZE
I tested out the bms script and it worked great on texture files. There seem to be a few .bin files that don't work with the script because the file is already decrypted :) such as ST1_1.BIN. I also realized that the bms script works with the POL folder for the models because the output data looks very similar to the data I've been seeing for other model formats so expect to see some maps and models very soon next year.
Current projects:
Mortisanti
ultra-n00b

Post by Mortisanti »

egregiousguy wrote:I tested out the bms script and it worked great on texture files. There seem to be a few .bin files that don't work with the script because the file is already decrypted :) such as ST1_1.BIN. I also realized that the bms script works with the POL folder for the models because the output data looks very similar to the data I've been seeing for other model formats so expect to see some maps and models very soon next year.
That's good to hear. Which copy of HOD2 are you using?

Also, I wonder how much progress this guy has made despite the video being 10 years old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7uXaBYf6Zk
His last video was uploaded 3 months ago, so he's still somewhat active.
egregiousguy
beginner

Post by egregiousguy »

Mortisanti wrote: That's good to hear. Which copy of HOD2 are you using?
I tried using a Dreamcast dump but the textures came out all garbled. I ended up finding an old copy of the game on a backup drive back from who knows when and it had better results.
Mortisanti wrote: Also, I wonder how much progress this guy has made despite the video being 10 years old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7uXaBYf6Zk
Yeah, I've seen that video many times. That's how I was first inspired to extract the maps from HotD1 which then led to HotD III and 4. I commented on that video a few months ago and I think he said no longer had the files or it was tucked away in a backup drive somewhere.
Current projects:
Mortisanti
ultra-n00b

Post by Mortisanti »

egregiousguy wrote:I tried using a Dreamcast dump but the textures came out all garbled. I ended up finding an old copy of the game on a backup drive back from who knows when and it had better results.
Ah, so it's a PC version?
egregiousguy wrote: Yeah, I've seen that video many times. That's how I was first inspired to extract the maps from HotD1 which then led to HotD III and 4. I commented on that video a few months ago and I think he said no longer had the files or it was tucked away in a backup drive somewhere.
Well, that would be a shame if he abandoned his project. :[
egregiousguy
beginner

Post by egregiousguy »

A little progress update:

https://youtu.be/3UzYZCV6H4o

I'll post a more detailed explanation of the format when I get around to it.
Current projects:
hazmeister
ultra-n00b

Post by hazmeister »

This is so awesome! Any chance of uploading the blender project somewhere?
hatsunemiekuah
ultra-n00b

Post by hatsunemiekuah »

egregiousguy wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:14 am
Mortisanti wrote: That's good to hear. Which copy of HOD2 are you using?
I tried using a Dreamcast dump but the textures came out all garbled. I ended up finding an old copy of the game on a backup drive back from who knows when and it had better results.
Mortisanti wrote: Also, I wonder how much progress this guy has made despite the video being 10 years old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7uXaBYf6Zk
Yeah, I've seen that video many times. That's how I was first inspired to extract the maps from HotD1 which then led to HotD III and 4. I commented on that video a few months ago and I think he said no longer had the files or it was tucked away in a backup drive somewhere.
Greeting sir. i have downloaded the tools but the guides here have lost which i found from here

Can somebody please tells us how to mod House of the Dead 2 textures please? thanks in advance...