Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Ascendancy documentation

The Off-Topic Forum - Anything goes! As long as it's legal(ish). Things that made you scream "Holy Cow!"
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Ascendancy documentation

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Guys, this request I got. I don't have such material. Perhaps someoneelse can help him?
Hi!

I am working a little bit on Ascendancy

Now I need the documentation or the tools for:
- FNT font file format
- some of the non-creative VOC files
- HAZ, expected to be the "haze" or highlight in the game, a sort of bitmap mask
- TMP (what are these?)

Mark's site is broken, do you still have its pages? A lot of useful stuff was there but through the google cache I could get only the shp.html page

Sad Please help me
If you have contacts of people who has material about Ascendancy I you should also let them contact me.

Thank you,
--
Last edited by Mr.Mouse on Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
friendsofwatto
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by friendsofwatto »

Hi mate,

Um no, unfortunately I don't know anything about these files - Mark added in the website links himself and I couldn't get access to them either, and I am unable to contact him.

In regards to the FNT file - it is probably a font-related file, maybe a list of points of something that would allow you to construct the vector-based font text. I know *.fnt files are used in many games, but I don't think they are a standard format

The TMP files - they are probably just temporary files, like a cache - you probably don't want to bother with them as they would be overwritten by the game all the time.

The VOC files - not sure - possibly they would be standard *.wav audio, with or without the headers, or just some kind of raw audio format. Perhaps try Game Audio Player - see if that program does it - if it does then there are some audio specs on the same website. Also try opening the file in an audio editing program like Cool Edit. Finally, consider looking for text strings in the game *.exe file - maybe you can find a reference to the format there, or even in the readme file or the game credits.

Good luck. Sorry it isn't anything specific, but hopefully it is a step in the right direction.

WATTO
[email protected]
http://www.watto.org
Game Extractor - Read and write thousands of game archives!
friendsofwatto
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by friendsofwatto »

Oh, I missed one :)

The HAZ files - if they are what you expect, it would probably be structures similarly to a BMP image (you can find BMP specs everywhere on the net), or more probably it would just be a 2D array of bits that represent the alpha. In other words, if the image is 4x4, it would just be 16 bytes where each byte told the alpha value of the related pixel. Not sure how the game engine works, but it could also be just some co-ordinates, light intensity values, reflectivity, etc that would just be fed into the game engine.

WATTO
[email protected]
http://www.watto.org
Game Extractor - Read and write thousands of game archives!
Strobe

Cheers!

Post by Strobe »

Where can I download files from this game? =O
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Strobe

Sound

Post by Strobe »

All sounds seems to be 22Khz 8 bit mono files.
have not yet found a single header in the archives, but playing these as
pcm with at these settings works terrific.
Strobe

Btw.

Post by Strobe »

is it somehow possible to extract files per file out of the archives?
its a pain in the ass trying to disinguish files in these COB archives,
as all files seems to be headerless in it. =///
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

COB files are supported by MultiEx Commander.
legolas
ultra-n00b

Post by legolas »

friendsofwatto wrote:Hi mate,

In regards to the FNT file - it is probably a font-related file, maybe a list of points of something that would allow you to construct the vector-based font text. I know *.fnt files are used in many games, but I don't think they are a standard format
Yeah..Mark had something about Ascendancy FNT format, but neither Google's cache has that page now...
friendsofwatto wrote: The TMP files - they are probably just temporary files, like a cache - you probably don't want to bother with them as they would be overwritten by the game all the time.
They are in the COB archive, that is intended to be read-only...I have just discovered they are simply SHP files renamed to TMP
friendsofwatto wrote: Good luck. Sorry it isn't anything specific, but hopefully it is a step in the right direction.
Thank you my friend!

I'll post/ask here when I have news
--
was gluck du lan
legolas
ultra-n00b

Post by legolas »

The latest MODguide is available at

http://legolas558.awardspace.com/download.php?list.6

Enjoy!
--
was gluck du lan
Pookie
ultra-n00b

:O

Post by Pookie »

Heyhey

Im quite a nooby... but I hope you guys are talking here about the files of the game Ascendancy (http://www.logicfactory.com/games_ascendancy.htm) I really love the music in that game, and I have been searching everywhere and couldn't find a thing. Do you guys maybe have some kind of music file of this background music? You wud surely make my day ^^

Thank u for ur time :)

-Gina
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Re: :O

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Pookie wrote:Heyhey

Im quite a nooby... but I hope you guys are talking here about the files of the game Ascendancy (http://www.logicfactory.com/games_ascendancy.htm) I really love the music in that game, and I have been searching everywhere and couldn't find a thing. Do you guys maybe have some kind of music file of this background music? You wud surely make my day ^^

Thank u for ur time :)

-Gina
Yeah, people love the music in Ascendancy. In the past I have played it. you can extract music from the Ascendancy files using MultiEx Commander.
Pookie
ultra-n00b

Post by Pookie »

Okay ^^, so I installed MultiEx Commander and I tried some things and read the manual, but I don't really get it :(

Does it have the Ascendancy file itself or do I have to get it from some site (http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php/Ascendancy#VOC) ? And then how can I play it?

Could you help me out? Or tell me to read some tutorial so I can know?

Thank u for ur trouble.. again

-Gina
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Pookie wrote:Okay ^^, so I installed MultiEx Commander and I tried some things and read the manual, but I don't really get it :(

Does it have the Ascendancy file itself or do I have to get it from some site (http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php/Ascendancy#VOC) ? And then how can I play it?

Could you help me out? Or tell me to read some tutorial so I can know?

Thank u for ur trouble.. again

-Gina
Nope, you should open .COB files (It think that's what their extension is) from the game with MultiEx Commander and extract the music. Then you'll need something like Cool Edit Pro to play those files.
Pookie
ultra-n00b

Post by Pookie »

hmmm I'm still kinda confused about this, I looked everywhere for those files , but I don't quite get it. I tried all kind of things, but do you need the full game of Ascendancy to get these files or is there some place where I can get them in some kind of zip file? (or do I need a registered version of MultiEx Commander?)

I know, I probably sound annoying and know that you guys are probably busy with more important things, but I would really appreciate it if you or someone else could tell me step by step how I can get this to work (I already got the Cool Edit Pro program). The background music of Ascendancy is just so nice and I would love it if I could hear it again, so if someone has the time; please help me out.

-Gina