Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

[REQ] Happyland Adventures (Freeware) Resource Extraction

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
MusicMantis
ultra-n00b

[REQ] Happyland Adventures (Freeware) Resource Extraction

Post by MusicMantis »

I'm looking to extract the files from Happyland: X-Mas Edition, specifically "misc.dat". The game itself is freeware from a decade ago and there are BMS scripts for Icy Tower (made by the same developers) that do not work with this title. I had a quick look at the contents of the file in hex and it could be encrypted; that being said I could still see what appeared to be some sort of directory structure and several midi files. Could someone please help me?
MusicMantis
ultra-n00b

Re: [REQ] Happyland Adventures (Freeware) Resource Extractio

Post by MusicMantis »

It's been a year, so I thought I might bump this request as I'm still after on this. Here's the file in question. It's 380kb and is a collection of miscellaneous resources used in the game.

If I recall, the game was programmed with the Allegro library - which means their dat / grabber tools should work for data extraction. They say the files are invalid, however, meaning they're password protected. The password is likely in the executable but this isn't my specialty.

Edit: Still no extraction, I have the password though. I feel stupid after not getting that.

If anyone else needs this, you're welcome to resurrect this thread and I can help. Consider this solved!
DarkStar18
ultra-n00b

Re: [REQ] Happyland Adventures (Freeware) Resource Extraction

Post by DarkStar18 »

I requested (and received) the entire OST from the gamedevs some time ago. Amusingly with the exception of the most-liked song "messa.mid" , an arrangement of Pachelbel Canon in D, the music is all MIDI renditions of Christmas songs that have been floating about the web since the Geocities era.

Unfortunately the Yahoo account they sent the music to was compromised in the last hack. I'll see if my old XP machine has a copy of the archive.

EDIT: FOUND IT!!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwqIc ... 0h6YnpmSnM