Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Hitman / Kane & Lynch series model tools

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Re: Hitman / Kane & Lynch series model tools

Post by daemon1 »

ssringo wrote:Thank you for the new tools. A couple questions:

-That's a LOT of files to go through. Any way to find out what's what without going through the whole process?
-Is there a way to convert textures?

EDIT: Referring to Absolution
Currently the tool will ONLY unpack segments if some skeletal models will be there. This is only about 300 packages from all 5000 (according to headers). So if you run it on all of them, 300 folders will be created. At least I hope so, because I don't have the game, only 2 files I was provided.

After that, you can find the model name in MATI files as material name will include it.

Textures probably can be converted with 2016 game tool. If not, let me know.
hhchunter
beginner

Post by hhchunter »

daemon1 wrote:sort everything out with names, and this is completely absent in your script as we know.
daemon1 wrote:you can find the model name in MATI files as material name will include it
I think they're also stored else where as well, and they might not all be present.

From my understanding it should be easier to do this for Absolution than HITMAN. Absolution has finished development & support now, so changes to the archives/files are minimal.

Getting file names would require to my knowledge, getting hashes from the game files once extracted?
Some of which are stored in files extracted, which you can find with a string search of "[assembly:/"

Then creating some sort of list and matching it to the HashID?
I'm not sure how you would go about matching the filenames to the hashID's in the archive however.

Either way I think naming the files might have to be done in the original QuickBMS script or a whole brand new tool altogether like you proposed.

Looking forward to what you come up with if you decide to go ahead with it.
:)
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

hhchunter wrote:I think they're also stored else where as well
No, they are NOT.

I've researched all hitman games from 1 to 6 (2016) and I'm telling you: glacier engine does not need names, so they are not present in game files. It was like that in all their games. Let me give you an example:

There are 2 guards on a level. Each of them stored in properties tree of the level with its own position (x,y,z) and links to model, animation set, behavior script etc.

So these 2 guards may have absolutely different models (with no names), and the same animations and scripts. So there's no way to give them names, other that "1" and "2".

But in every game there are some clues that can be used to name models. In hitman 4 I used animation names, as they were more descriptive than script names. Like "scientist" or "SWAT". In 2&3 I just dropped all animation/script names in a text file for you to choose. In hitman 1 I used folder names. Notice that everything above (folders, anims, scripts) may be the same for different models, so this is only a clue, not an exact name.

Now to present time.

The main problem in absolution was to split packages into sections, such as models and textures. And I was able to do this. Now in 2016 its the opposite: I need to connect sections into packages, so you can tell which textures go with which model. This info is stored in properties tree. I've seen this a year ago when I first researched the new game.
hhchunter wrote:a string search of "[assembly:/"
Yes, but assembly names for all 5000 main game packages look like:
[[assembly:/Common/PC.layoutconfig].pc_layoutdef](0645).pc_resourcelib
which is not a very descriptive name, right?

So for Absolution and 2016 games, material names are really the best chance to identify models. And this is already done for Absolution.
volfin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by volfin »

Interesting, I'll have to see if that applies to Deus Ex as well, it uses Glacier and it desperately needs filenames.
hhchunter
beginner

Post by hhchunter »

daemon1 wrote:
hhchunter wrote:I think they're also stored else where as well
No, they are NOT.

I've researched all hitman games from 1 to 6 (2016) and I'm telling you: glacier engine does not need names, so they are not present in game files. It was like that in all their games. Let me give you an example:

There are 2 guards on a level. Each of them stored in properties tree of the level with its own position (x,y,z) and links to model, animation set, behavior script etc.

So these 2 guards may have absolutely different models (with no names), and the same animations and scripts. So there's no way to give them names, other that "1" and "2".

But in every game there are some clues that can be used to name models. In hitman 4 I used animation names, as they were more descriptive than script names. Like "scientist" or "SWAT". In 2&3 I just dropped all animation/script names in a text file for you to choose. In hitman 1 I used folder names. Notice that everything above (folders, anims, scripts) may be the same for different models, so this is only a clue, not an exact name.

Now to present time.

The main problem in absolution was to split packages into sections, such as models and textures. And I was able to do this. Now in 2016 its the opposite: I need to connect sections into packages, so you can tell which textures go with which model. This info is stored in properties tree. I've seen this a year ago when I first researched the new game.
hhchunter wrote:a string search of "[assembly:/"
Yes, but assembly names for all 5000 main game packages look like:
[[assembly:/Common/PC.layoutconfig].pc_layoutdef](0645).pc_resourcelib
which is not a very descriptive name, right?

So for Absolution and 2016 games, material names are really the best chance to identify models. And this is already done for Absolution.
Ah miss-understanding. I thought you meant the actual proper filenames, instead of the Material ID such as "shotgun_stealth_a_receiver_a.mi"

I was thinking in terms of all the filenames, for things beyond just models.
YourImaginaryFriend
n00b

Post by YourImaginaryFriend »

Thank you for the tools. Finally being able to obtain these models with good weighting and correct scale is quite impressive.

There are some issues I discovered while messing with them:

- UVs have incorrect scale/position in some cases. Arms seem to be a common example

- Sanchez's rigging ended up bugged, compared to others

- Some physics-enabled meshes (jackets, Victoria's hair) are missing.

Example files: http://www3.zippyshare.com/v/qojhi12M/file.html
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

YourImaginaryFriend wrote:Some physics-enabled meshes (jackets, Victoria's hair) are missing.
That's because they are not present in the mesh. They are probably stored in special cloth containers. Will need to be researched if its possible to convert them.
trexjones
veteran

Post by trexjones »

This may seem like a noob question, but how do I go about removing the excess lower LOD meshes. They all appear to be connected, but I can't figure out how to separate things to get to the best quality model parts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

trexjones wrote:how do I go about removing the excess lower LOD meshes
In blender you can:
select model, go to EDIT mode (tab)
press "P" and click "by material"

this will split the model into submeshes :)

p.s. tools will be updated soon with texture converter and better model support.
trexjones
veteran

Post by trexjones »

daemon1 wrote:
trexjones wrote:how do I go about removing the excess lower LOD meshes
In blender you can:
select model, go to EDIT mode (tab)
press "P" and click "by material"

this will split the model into submeshes :)

p.s. tools will be updated soon with texture converter and better model support.

Ah! Fantastic! I was just trying to figure out the 2016 texture tool for this...! Looking forward to it! Thanks again, man!
Tosyk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by Tosyk »

for interested here's something usefull to handle the original game unpacked archives

edit: it's for absolution
model_sorter_v0.1.cmd.zip
>latest version of unpacker scripts here<
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tosyk on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thank you for all you do here
my blog | my forum
volfin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by volfin »

Tosyk wrote:for interested here's something usefull to handle the original game unpacked archives
Which game is that for?
Tosyk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by Tosyk »

volfin wrote:
Tosyk wrote:for interested here's something usefull to handle the original game unpacked archives
Which game is that for?
oh, yeah, it's for absolution.
my blog | my forum
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

All Absolution tools updated.

1. Main tool. Now outputs borg/prim files with same name, so you can make batch conversion.

2. DDS tool for textures.

3. Model tool Now only takes 1 parameter: BORG. PRIM file must have same number (this is done with new main tool). UV scales must be fixed.

I also checked Sanchez, and must say I don't see how it can be broken with my tool. This must be original game error.

Tosyk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by Tosyk »

continue working in file sorter for absolution.
my blog | my forum