Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Forza Motorsport Resource Extraction (.carbin)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
brucektrain
ultra-n00b

Re: Forza Motorsport Resource Extraction (.carbin)

Post by brucektrain »

Does Anybody has Fully Assembled or ZModeler file of Nissan Skyline GTS-R R31 Mk.VII '87? (Includes JUST SLOD/LOD0 and Converted Textures aswell)?

I trying get it work on Unity Editor. but it seems it's missing it's Interiors. and few texture UV is wrong.

Thanks,

minime891
advanced

Post by minime891 »

@brucektrain Asking for a specific model to have all UVs edited manually and textures whilst the tool is still not finished is very unrealistic.

@shakotay2 I have come across a UV that doesn't seem to be restricted to the UV box. The trunkBay_a__SLOD for the Range Rover SVR.
Has any one else seen this with SLOD parts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SoniKalien
beginner

Post by SoniKalien »

minime891 wrote: I have come across a UV that doesn't seem to be restricted to the UV box. The trunkBay_a__SLOD for the Range Rover SVR.
A lot of textures are tiled and tiling info is contained in the material settings.
minime891
advanced

Post by minime891 »

SoniKalien wrote:
minime891 wrote: I have come across a UV that doesn't seem to be restricted to the UV box. The trunkBay_a__SLOD for the Range Rover SVR.
A lot of textures are tiled and tiling info is contained in the material settings.
Tiling is done when the UV expands out of the UV box so i am not sure what you mean there.

Material settings can cause tiling not to work if you say clamp texture instead of wrap. Maybe you can elaborate on what you mean.
SIDfixed
ultra-n00b

Post by SIDfixed »

I've been searching high and low for a thread like this. Thank goodness I found you guys.

I'm just doing part swaps between cars in FH3, and I've gone over the previously posted hex code translations very thoroughly, but I still can't figure out which parts of the code to copy between .modelbin files to get it to work. I've gone over every file in each car's .zip and the gamedb to see what determines just assigning a particular part filename to each upgrade (I want to swap exhausts) but arrived at more game crashes and bugs.
Last edited by SIDfixed on Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frazzlee
advanced

Post by Frazzlee »

SIDfixed wrote:I've been searching high and low for a thread like this. Thank goodness I found you guys.

I'm just doing part swaps between cars in FH3, and I've gone over the previously posted hex code translations very thoroughly, but I still can't figure out which parts of the code to copy between .modelbin files to get it to work. I've gone over every file in each car's .zip and the gamedb to see what determines just assigning a particular part filename to each upgrade (I want to swap exhausts) but arrived at more game crashes and bugs. There isn't any reference to exhaust_a.modelbin anywhere.

you are trying to swap files in game??
SIDfixed
ultra-n00b

Post by SIDfixed »

It's very possible, D3FEKT has been doing it in FH3 for months now.

EDIT: From what I can gather, changes need to be made to the target .carbin and .modelbin. Here is what I could decipher inside .carbin:

As for .modelbin, I can only guess from Andrakann's findings that the entry reference block needs to also be modified after the swaps between the materials, UV, LOD names, meshes, positioning, and the filesize after these changes had been made. This much is over my head.

D3FEKT, buddy.... you gotta come out of hiding more often.
Andrakann
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Andrakann »

SIDfixed wrote:I'm just doing part swaps between cars in FH3, and I've gone over the previously posted hex code translations very thoroughly, but I still can't figure out which parts of the code to copy between .modelbin files to get it to work. I've gone over every file in each car's .zip and the gamedb to see what determines just assigning a particular part filename to each upgrade (I want to swap exhausts) but arrived at more game crashes and bugs.
Main difference between exhaust_a.modelbins for different cars is Skeleton entry. It's the same for all modelbins in car folder (or zip), so, you'll need to put Skel from old part to new one.
Would be easy enough, if new part have same or bigger Skel entry (in bytes) and more difficult if smaller - you'll need to change all adressing in Grub header after Skel entry in this case, because modelbin change it's size to bigger.
Also you need to check all links to swatchbins inside new exhaust_a.modelbin and copy those swatchbins to modified car folder too (only for "local" swatchbins, not for cars\_library\ ones).

And there's a big chance that you'll get new exhaust somewhere behind or inside car body, if length of cars is differs heavily.

Just my thoughs.
SIDfixed
ultra-n00b

Post by SIDfixed »

Andrakann wrote:Main difference between exhaust_a.modelbins for different cars is Skeleton entry. It's the same for all modelbins in car folder (or zip), so, you'll need to put Skel from old part to new one.
Would be easy enough, if new part have same or bigger Skel entry (in bytes) and more difficult if smaller - you'll need to change all adressing in Grub header after Skel entry in this case, because modelbin change it's size to bigger.
Also you need to check all links to swatchbins inside new exhaust_a.modelbin and copy those swatchbins to modified car folder too (only for "local" swatchbins, not for cars\_library\ ones).

And there's a big chance that you'll get new exhaust somewhere behind or inside car body, if length of cars is differs heavily.

Just my thoughs.
Alright, this seems logical. I didn't know if skeleton alone was what needed to be changed, but I did notice different skel references between cars. So far it's just been pasting the other blocks over to see what works. I'll give it a shot soon, thanks

EDIT: I've just spent around... 4 hours in hex editors learning the layout of the file and re-referencing every item's new position in the exhaust.modelbin.... to be met by crushing defeat at the loading screen. So many tears
Andrakann
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Andrakann »

SIDfixed wrote:to be met by crushing defeat at the loading screen. So many tears
Without error messages or logs?
SIDfixed
ultra-n00b

Post by SIDfixed »

Andrakann wrote:
SIDfixed wrote:to be met by crushing defeat at the loading screen. So many tears
Without error messages or logs?

This was the first thing to pop up, then it comes up with impactmask.swatchbin and so on.
Andrakann
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Andrakann »

SIDfixed wrote:This was the first thing to pop up, then it comes up with impactmask.swatchbin and so on.
It says compression wrong, are you sure you using the same zip compression as in game?
And what about using extracted folder instead of zip?
SIDfixed
ultra-n00b

Post by SIDfixed »

Andrakann wrote:
SIDfixed wrote:This was the first thing to pop up, then it comes up with impactmask.swatchbin and so on.
It says compression wrong, are you sure you using the same zip compression as in game?
And what about using extracted folder instead of zip?
Using an extracted folder I was met with this:

Also I have no idea about zip compression settings. I've just been dragging the modified files into the existing zip. I'll have a poke around though.
zwrtron
beginner

Post by zwrtron »

I just wanted to share Ferrari F12tdf with swatchbins whose paths are found inside its modelbins. The whole thing is done by Modelbin Textures Extractor as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xZr8B8blUI
(also pleasure to post #1800 post (: )

Structure example overview:
Nothing brand new, but let me summarise. Each modelbin file contains at least one materialbin | swatchbin entry. Each materialbin file contains at least one shaderbin or swatchbin entry.

Code: Select all

body_a.modelbin
 -> swatchbin entries (direct swatchbin texture)
 -> materialbin entries (reference to material container)
   -> shaderbin entries
   -> swatchbin entries
Like we shared on our facebook page, we are developing tool to make texture collection a bit simplier.

Materialbin Textures Collector (MTC) is able to:
- read modelbin file to get material names, materialbin and swatchbin entries.
- this same for materialbin to get swatchbin entries.
- find swatchbins from both modelbin and materialbins in game files and copy them to subdirectory of modelbin location.

After process of MTC is done, subdirectory textures_%modelbin_name% should contain ALL textures to fully texture whole modelbin.
This is how it works:

Download Ferrari F12tdf (complete MTC output example)
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... lozN1N6R2M

The tool release is pointless IMO, because requires large library of game files to work (22GB collection) so I'm not sure how this tool can come handy.[roll]
SoniKalien
beginner

Post by SoniKalien »

zwrtron wrote: The tool release is pointless IMO, because requires large library of game files to work (22GB collection) so I'm not sure how this tool can come handy.[roll]
It would be handy for us who do have the complete files :] . Could this tool, instead of actually collecting textures, just make a text list? With like maybe:

Code: Select all

BumperFa:
-screw013ao.swatchbin
-screw013nrm.swatchbin
etc.

That would be a big help to me :) At the moment I am hex viewing each individual files to find out what the related textures are for each part.