Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

[PC] Quantum Break .RMDP

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
UberBlack
advanced

Re: [PC] Quantum Break .RMDP

Post by UberBlack »

volfin wrote:I think your blender is just too old. 2.66 was released in 2013, 4 years ago.

I tried it on the oldest blender I have installed, 2.70 (from 2014), and it worked fine:

So I recommend upgrading your blender. But thanks for letting me know, I didn't realize armatures functionality had changed along the line. I'll have to stop saying it is compatible back to 2.63 (not that I really expected anyone to be using such an old blender lol)
Thanks, it worked, I never know which version of blender to use with scripts. I'm not a blender guy. I perfer Max or Maya. I had to manually flip the normal's. I Successful imported him into UE4. The major pain was scale. I used my Max trusty Rescale World Units to about 27 and that did the trick.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get some textures, and hopefully some day animation. Any suggestions would be great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
volfin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by volfin »

if you used version 0.2 of the QuantumBreak tool to unpack, it should have converted the textures to DDS for you.

With the model selected, you can see the material names on the right:

those are clues to the texture names.
So if I search the extract folder, I see a folder named "male_jonova" and it has the face, eyelashes, and eye textures.
if I search "striker_helmet", I see a folder named "malene_striker\accessories" and there's textures.
if I search "striker_bottom", I find that in "-Textures\bottoms" folder. And so on and so on.

P.S. you're correct about the flipped normals. I'm going to fix that and tweak a few things I've learned over the last 8 months since I released this, And post a new version.
volfin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by volfin »

Ok, new version of the importer.

Not a lot changed, I did fix the normal being flipped inside out. Bone groups are now sorted by skeleton hierarchy, And if you use blender 2.75 or newer, it loads normal in as the new split normal type. rest is general tweaks.

Enjoy.

Edit: Newer version below
Last edited by volfin on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
d875j
advanced

Post by d875j »

volfin wrote:Ok, new version of the importer.

Not a lot changed, I did fix the normal being flipped inside out. Bone groups are now sorted by skeleton hierarchy, And if you use blender 2.75 or newer, it loads normal in as the new split normal type. rest is general tweaks.

Enjoy.
But you still did not done the map model's coordinates? It be nice still to have that supported. It might be a good idea to do it as it will help importing maps into the game aswell.
volfin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by volfin »

d875j wrote:

Enjoy.
But you still did not done the map model's coordinates? It be nice still to have that supported. It might be a good idea to do it as it will help importing maps into the game aswell.
I have no idea what you mean by "map model's coordinates". If you mean placing all the objects as arranged on the map, that's never going to happen. I don't have that kind of time to spend on that kind of thing.
d875j
advanced

Post by d875j »

volfin wrote:
d875j wrote:

Enjoy.
I have no idea what you mean by "map model's coordinates". If you mean placing all the objects as arranged on the map, that's never going to happen. I don't have that kind of time to spend on that kind of thing.
Yes that. And shame hope someone does it on here.
UberBlack
advanced

Post by UberBlack »

After hours of working with both plugins I found a solution.

I use Blender 2.70
I use plugin 1.21
I tried using the new plugin but couldn't get it to reliably work. version 1.30.
What it does is, when the mesh is exported as fbx and imported to max all the bones are
small in a ball, even if the mesh is rescaled. That's why I use 1.21

I make sure to delete all lights, camera from blender.
I manually flip the normals.

Then in Max I rescale the mesh with Rescale World Units to 90 to better match Unreal Engine.
Then everything works. except. When you then load another mesh with the plugin in Blender there
are errors, so I close out blender and reload the mesh, and it will re-load without errors. I don't know
why the errors happen when I load the second mesh. Here is the error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\anand\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.70\scripts\addons\io_scene_QuantumBreak\__init__.py", line 80, in execute
result=import_WedMsh.import_WedMsh(self.filepath, bpy.context,self.randomize_colors,self.import_vertcolors,self.skip_blank,self.use_layers,self.mesh_scale)
File "C:\Users\anand\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.70\scripts\addons\io_scene_QuantumBreak\import_WedMsh.py", line 700, in import_WedMsh
poseRig(rig, Pose_Table,use_layers,mesh_scale)
File "C:\Users\anand\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.70\scripts\addons\io_scene_QuantumBreak\import_WedMsh.py", line 482, in poseRig
mod.object = rig
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'object'

Also, all the LODS are currently unusable, I just delete them, They are not bound to the skeleton/armature so they import into max or may laying flat. I guess if I wanted to I could re-rotate them and re-bind them and copy the weights to the mesh, but the plugin doesn't seem to correctly do this for me.

I hope this was useful, and thank you so much for your plugin. These meshes are crazy amazing, and I think they wen't overkill on the bones. It would be amazing if we could have animation, if possible. It would be great to have it implemented.
volfin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by volfin »

Well so many of your problems are because you're sticking with such an old version of blender. there's been so many bug fixes to blender between 2.70 and 2.78 it would literally fill a book.

But I have another version here, which will fix a couple of the issues you see with 2.70. I still recommend you upgrade to at least 2.77 or better yet 2.78

Edit: newer below
Last edited by volfin on Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
UberBlack
advanced

Post by UberBlack »

volfin wrote:Well so many of your problems are because you're sticking with such an old version of blender. there's been so many bug fixes to blender between 2.70 and 2.78 it would literally fill a book.

But I have another version here, which will fix a couple of the issues you see with 2.70. I still recommend you upgrade to at least 2.77 or better yet 2.78
Sorry, I can upgrade to any version you'd like. I couldn't get the other latest version to work with version blender-2.78a-windows64. If you'd like I can, and let you know what happens.
volfin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by volfin »

UberBlack wrote:
volfin wrote:Well so many of your problems are because you're sticking with such an old version of blender. there's been so many bug fixes to blender between 2.70 and 2.78 it would literally fill a book.

Sorry, I can upgrade to any version you'd like. I couldn't get the other latest version to work with version blender-2.78a-windows64. If you'd like I can, and let you know what happens.
Well I tested 1.30 against 2.77 and 2.78, So I know it works with those. 2.77 is generally the version I use on a daily basis, so it's probably the most 'safe' version. 1.31 I fixed to work with 2.70 (and all versions above that likely). But it's not going to have 100% of the features since it's old API doesn't support some things, and also, bugs.

But here's the facts about Blender and versions:
Blender 2.49b was the last version of what I call 'Gen 1' Blender. As of Blender 2.5, they completely rewrote blender from the ground up, so that's why a lot of olds scripts were stuck using 2.49b.

Then blender entered what I call the "Dark Ages" because they kept changing the API every new revision. From 2.5 to 2.62 was a nightmare.

Then in Blender 2.63, they added a new mesh system, called BMesh. So more API changes. it wasn't until around 2.70 that things really settled down.

So now from 2.70 on, Things are pretty stable. The 'Dark Ages' are over. But, they do continue to add new features every version. And that's what you're seeing, I'm starting to use some of the newer features blender has to offer.
Split normals didn't appear until Blender 2.73, but it was broken until 2.75.
It seems some Armature features didn't get added until Blender 2.72
And so on and so on. So it's just always best to use the newest blender these days. There' nothing that's going to be missing or removed as new versions as put out, only new things added. (at least until some day they decide to rewrite it from scratch again). :mrgreen:

You can always have multiple versions of blender on your system, for cases where some plugin demands a specific version of blender. But I guess I need to start being more vigilant with version testing. I haven't really paid it much mind til now. I'll have to go through all of the plugins I wrote and put a minimum supported blender version on them. I just assume people will keep upgrading blender when a new version comes out.
UberBlack
advanced

Post by UberBlack »

volfin wrote:
UberBlack wrote:

Well I tested 1.30 against 2.77 and 2.78, So I know it works with those. 2.77 is generally the version I use on a daily basis, so it's probably the most 'safe' version. 1.31 I fixed to work with 2.70 (and all versions above that likely). But it's not going to have 100% of the features since it's old API doesn't support some things, and also, bugs.

But here's the facts about Blender and versions:
Blender 2.49b was the last version of what I call 'Gen 1' Blender. As of Blender 2.5, they completely rewrote blender from the ground up, so that's why a lot of olds scripts were stuck using 2.49b.

Then blender entered what I call the "Dark Ages" because they kept changing the API every new revision. From 2.5 to 2.62 was a nightmare.

Then in Blender 2.63, they added a new mesh system, called BMesh. So more API changes. it wasn't until around 2.70 that things really settled down.

So now from 2.70 on, Things are pretty stable. The 'Dark Ages' are over. But, they do continue to add new features every version. And that's what you're seeing, I'm starting to use some of the newer features blender has to offer.
Split normals didn't appear until Blender 2.73, but it was broken until 2.75.
It seems some Armature features didn't get added until Blender 2.72
And so on and so on. So it's just always best to use the newest blender these days. There' nothing that's going to be missing or removed as new versions as put out, only new things added. (at least until some day they decide to rewrite it from scratch again). :mrgreen:

You can always have multiple versions of blender on your system, for cases where some plugin demands a specific version of blender. But I guess I need to start being more vigilant with version testing. I haven't really paid it much mind til now. I'll have to go through all of the plugins I wrote and put a minimum supported blender version on them. I just assume people will keep upgrading blender when a new version comes out.
Thanks for that. I have been just loading the models and extracting FBX to 3ds Max where I can scale them. The problem has never been with blender, It's when the meshes are exported to 3ds max via fbx.

Now with Blender 2.70 with plugin 1.3.1 it works perfect. I have included a Max Picture. I scaled both models to 90 so you can see the mesh better, because there are tons of bones. If you look you can tell the all the meshes are now in the correct orientation. i checked also they are bound.

If you look at the picture I took with Blender 2.78 using 1.3.1 you will notice that the LODs are not at the correct orientation.

Exported FBX with Blender 2.70 using plugin version 1.3.1 Imported to 3DSMax 2017 x64
Works Perfect!

Exported FBX with Blender 2.78 using plugin version 1.3.1 Imported to 3DSMax 2017 x64
Not Perfect, LODs are not matching up with Skeleton.

Thanks for your help, and we appreciate the plugin you've made.
volfin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by volfin »

I see. So they look fine in blender, but it's the FBX Export when the LOD models are changing. I think I know why, on the LODs, I didn't apply the rotational changes. Seems in 2.78 they no longer do that for you. Let me take a stab at fixing that.

Edit: try this version, I think it should work properly with 2.78 (and older down to 2.70)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UberBlack
advanced

Post by UberBlack »

volfin wrote:I see. So they look fine in blender, but it's the FBX Export when the LOD models are changing. I think I know why, on the LODs, I didn't apply the rotational changes. Seems in 2.78 they no longer do that for you. Let me take a stab at fixing that.

Edit: try this version, I think it should work properly with 2.78 (and older down to 2.70)
Thanks I really appreciate you're speed in fixing it. I have tried the new version. This is what I noticed.

I got to remember to turn off leaf in FBX export.

1. Smoothing groups are not kept when exporting to FBX

2. Not that it's a biggie but the scaling is much different, the default is 3 which is now huge. I put it back to 1 and it's a better size for unreal.

the bones seem correct in that they are not in a ball anymore when I export it to UE4.
It also doesn't crash when I load a new mesh in Blender.

So it's working Thanks again
Bladers
veteran

Post by Bladers »

Thanks for all your hard work vfolin. Especially for the normals fix. I made several scenes and the normals issue was giving me problems. Even when i flipped them, they never looked right. Lastly if we could get animation to work it would be heaven!

UberBlack, were you able to get unreal engine default animations applied to the models.
I tried that and i kept running into issues when re-targeting the animations.

d875j, the tool, though it exists in GUI form is really not user friendly but i will look at cleaning it up and releasing it. But concerning the map, you would have to arange it yourself, there is no coordinates. Although based on the new update, something similar is already being done.
d875j
advanced

Post by d875j »

Bladers wrote:Thanks for all your hard work vfolin. Especially for the normals fix. I made several scenes and the normals issue was giving me problems. Even when i flipped them, they never looked right. Lastly if we could get animation to work it would be heaven!

UberBlack, were you able to get unreal engine default animations applied to the models.
I tried that and i kept running into issues when re-targeting the animations.

d875j, the tool, though it exists in GUI form is really not user friendly but i will look at cleaning it up and releasing it. But concerning the map, you would have to arange it yourself, there is no coordinates. Although based on the new update, something similar is already being done.
Alrighty