Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Doom alpha models

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
SporeAltair
advanced

Re: Doom alpha models

Post by SporeAltair »

Hey all, well, no one knows how to fix a glitch in Cinema 4D?

And I have a question to the iOrange: So what to do with bmd6anim?

And who knows how to create an extractor such as DOOMExtract ? To know how to create such a program, then I have able to create a program to extract files from .mega2 and .pages

Well ?
NBayer
ultra-n00b

Post by NBayer »

Is anyone working on converting files like _vmtr_q4.mega2 into one huge texture file?

I believe in ETQW the megatexture consisted out of many 64x64 tiles which were jpeg-compressed. Stiching all together lead to a 32Kx32K tga file with 4 GB which most image viewers can't handle.
Rezulux
ultra-n00b

Post by Rezulux »

GLIntercept was working for me, or at least it seemed to be? It was periodically updating two 8192x8192 images with a new chunk or set of chunks, but unfortunately I wasn't able to run it long enough to get anything substantial over an incomplete set of particle effects and decals, or files we can already get directly through DoomResEx.

Note that this screenshot is after massive cleanup of the folder, in most cases I was getting at least 6 copies of the textures so I kept going through and deleting older content after comparing it with the newer ones. I plan on running it overnight tonight, I cleared up a good 120+ gigs in preparation for the mass of files I'll have to look through when I wake up, but it'll be worth it if I end up with some completed megatextures.

Unfortunately, even with an overnight dump, I'll probably only be scratching the surface as the above image is the result of about a couple hours. If anyone has a spare computer with an excess of space, I'd recommend running GLIntercept on the game for upwards of a few days, just to squeeze out every last bit of texture data we can get.

EDIT: An unfortunate update, after about 8 hours of running GLIntercept, it crashed and dumped a ton of garbage data into my images directory. But at least I can confirm that I've gotten 5 uniquely numbered 8192^2 image sets started in the directory as well as a few other highish-res sets, so I imagine with some luck and a computer dedicated solely to running the process, we could potentially bruteforce the megatextures out of the game. But of course, it doesn't put us any closer to actually cracking the megatexture 2 format.
SgtDirtDiver
ultra-n00b

Post by SgtDirtDiver »

I have been unable to find a program that can get the fbx files open and cannot afford 3ds max. Is there any chance someone can grab the models for the pistol. shotgun, and super shotgun? I would be eternally grateful :D
torridgristle
ultra-n00b

Post by torridgristle »

A bit of a bump but if you want to import the FBX models exported from the Doom Resource Explorer, get Blender x64 (Doesn't work on x32) and install this http://amyaimei.deviantart.com/journal/ ... -604467313
Asdroganz
ultra-n00b

Post by Asdroganz »

Hi guys, is there any way to extract the mesh from a .bmodel, or at the very least the tricount/vcount?
I'm interested in the models contained in the: ../cooked/model/models/mapobjects/prop/
Thanks in advance.

edit: correction, I tried with the original version of the game and all models show up correcly.
thanks
bye
pechenko121
advanced

Post by pechenko121 »

are there any news on virtual textures?
SporeAltair
advanced

Post by SporeAltair »

I have good news, someone is able to unpack .mega2 and extract textures from the game.

http://www.adriancourreges.com/blog/201 ... ics-study/
megatext2.jpg
Here's a picture with this microtexture, it looks that way, but in the lower left corner the game interface.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
volfin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by volfin »

Nice, using RenderDoc in Vulkan mode actually works. You need a copy of the EXE that will run without steam, and you have to check the box "Ref all Resources" or it doesn't include the virtual textures in the Log.

Sadly, all of the 128x128 blocks are in randomized order, so putting those together will be a real jigsaw puzzle. But it's a start.
SporeAltair
advanced

Post by SporeAltair »

volfin wrote:Sadly, all of the 128x128 blocks are in randomized order, so putting those together will be a real jigsaw puzzle. But it's a start.
Textures puzzle - it's cool.
volfin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by volfin »

Also I discovered the Virtual Texture Is stored as 3 'Slices', because it's 12 layers deep, and of course a texture can only be displayed 4 layers at a time (R,G,B,A).

So while viewing the Virtual texture, save all 3 slices with the disk icon. and choose each slice with the Slice Dropdown.

Slice 0 is Diffuse, with half of the Normal Map in Alpha channel,
Slice 1 is Specular, with the other half of the Normal Map in Alpha Channel,
Slice 2 is AO, and a few other misc 1 channel masks.

I'm wondering if the order of the blocks is directly related to the structure of the QuadTree...
SporeAltair
advanced

Post by SporeAltair »

A possible instruction step by step what to do, I can not to understand with this program.
volfin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by volfin »

Ok, so First off, you must set Doom to run in Vulkan API mode, instead of OpenGL. This is done in Advanced settings of Doom game.
Also, as mentioned, your game must be cracked, so it runs without steam. because if Steam preloader is present, then RenderDoc can't hook in.

1. Put in path to Doom Vulkan Executable.
2. Make sure Ref All Resources is Checked.
3 Press Capture to start the game.

Once you get to a scene in the game with content you want to get textures for, Press F12. That will capture the Frame.
(note that if you don't have an overlay as shown in the pic below, then RenderDoc isn't hooked in properly. This would usually mean your game isn't cracked.

Once you hit F12, the game will seem to freeze, but be patient, it's saving the Frame to disk. each frame is around 1 Gig of data or more, takes some time. You can take multiple frames, just be sure you have enough disk space.

after you exit the game, RenderDoc will still be running, with a screen showing all the frame you took (they call them logs). choose which log to view.

1. Switch to Texture Viewer.
2. Select Inputs tab.
3. Find a Colour Pass entry with large vkCmdDrawIndexed() calls (first parameter is data block size) This is where major geometry is being rendered. Usually the virtualtexture will be present there.

1. Select the VmtrphysicalPagesmap on that entry, and then you can access it's slices and save them as described above.

That's it.
SporeAltair
advanced

Post by SporeAltair »

No, all the same, the program will not work to me, I have a license, and to get the texture of all the weapons, characters need to find all the secret figures doomgay, they unlock the 3d model in the game.
pechenko121
advanced

Post by pechenko121 »

maybe it's just me but all textures have rather low size