Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Request help regarding Warhammer Online .diffuse textures

Get your graphics formats figures out here! Got details for others? Post here!
clairegrube
beginner

Request help regarding Warhammer Online .diffuse textures

Post by clairegrube »

Hi,
the game's static meshes and textures were accessible for quite some time thanks to nif tools, now recently Machinima Studio made it possible to convert the .geom character models too.
Now i'm asking, has anyone had any success opening the character textures? They're .diffuse, .specular, .mask and so on, i suppose owing to their use.
I've provided an example if anyone would give it a look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Acewell
VIP member
VIP member

Re: Request help regarding Warhammer Online .diffuse texture

Post by Acewell »

your sample is dxt1 in TextureFinder annd it looks good except for the strange bit shifting near the bottom, i have never seen anything like that. :?
clairegrube
beginner

Post by clairegrube »

Indeed you're right, makes me feel ashamed that i didn't even try it myself before asking for help. I just didn't think it could be so easy, when all those years noone ever wrote a converter or something. Well, not exactly easy, texture finder usually requires still some tinkering. Thank you very much for your time.

Edit: Hmm you're right about that strange distortion though. I've tried a few that worked flawlessly, at first i thought it was only those with an alpha channel but now i think there's something else to it. I'm unable to fix it via offset values.
Shouldn't the alpha channel be visible in Texture Finder when i select DXT1+a? I'm sure there has to be one, as i have a ninjaripped version to compare it to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Acewell
VIP member
VIP member

Post by Acewell »

transparency isn't shown in TextureFinder, but the alpha is preserved when you save out the image to bmp.

your second .diffuse sample looks worse than the first one :eek:

looks like some research was done already on these textures
viewtopic.php?p=26825#p26825
viewtopic.php?p=26838#p26838
Wobble wrote:The mipmap data decodes fine with DXT1, but the image is shifted for me. I'm guessing you might have to use those mipmap padding amounts to 'unshift' the image correctly?
clairegrube
beginner

Post by clairegrube »

There goes my optimism i had when the first two files i opened in texture finder were completely restorable. I've had a look the Sundering mod for Medieval2, which uses WAR models, and the way it looks to me they used Ninja-ripped textures too.

I'll try to find a pattern so that some might at least be restored in "post-production".

EDIT:
Strange coincidence. The saved bmp doesn't have an alpha channel or transparency, but the "corruption" starts pretty much where the transparent part of the texture should begin. Here's a comparison, ninja-ripped and edited texture on the right, alpha channel visible in red:

At the beginning, where the alpha channel is still white, everything is fine. Only at the bottom, where the hairs around the hooves should be transparent, does the shifting begin. That would explain why some pictures are more corrupted than others, with transparent parts further at the top. What it doesn't explain is why it affects specular textures as well, as they shouldn't have transparent parts.
clairegrube
beginner

Post by clairegrube »

Ok i managed to get Intel GPA running with WAR, so at least i can get those textures of the models i meet in the game.
Strangely, it sometimes gives me two almost identical textures, one in DXT1 and one in DXT3.
Does that help in any way?

OllyOrc
ultra-n00b

Post by OllyOrc »

We found the same issues but only with rectangular diffuse textures. Fortunately square diffuse textures extracted fine, with our diffuse converter tool.

http://forum.dark-omen.org/3d-scenery-m ... 7#msg13777

Currently investigating if .mask files can be edited and resaved and also if .obj can be edited and converted back to .geom, if anyone would like to help please. (or we have loads of other Dark Omen mod stuff to do but thankfully we now have enough tools to create Dark Omen 2 and we are even remaking the game engine in the Unreal Editor - Dark Omen Reborn!)

ps. I've only just discovered the TextureFinder tool due to this thread and it's a very cool tool but sadly also struggles with rectangular diffuse textures.