Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

StarWars Battlefront unpacker / decoder

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
elementofprgress
n00b

Re: StarWars Battlefront unpacker / audio decoder

Post by elementofprgress »

daemon1 wrote:
elementofprgress wrote:There are no flags labeling what is cas, noncas, a delta patch, etc anymore.
As far as I can see, there's no noncas chunks or resources in this game. Everything is in CAS files.
BF4 had like....18 different possible kind of files, but pretty much all the files used like...6? or so and everything was nice and marked right in the toc, sb, bundles, and files themselves.
daemon1 wrote:
elementofprgress wrote:How many audio files total have you been able to pull with just info from the data folder?
I don't have the game, so I don't know.

I have all small files (sb/toc, etc) and only the first cas_01.cas files from the whole set. But considering the size of chunks extracted from these, everything is extracted. The script goes through all sb/toc files, including the patch folder.

Also, by simple logic, since the whole patch folder is so small, it just can't hold any significant amount of chunk data (sounds or textures, or anything). The patch probably changes levels or some other game properties, but not the original audio/visual content.

At least thats how it was in other games that I had full size (Dragon age, Battlefield HL)
AHHH I didn't know you didn't have the game/updated files. Things make more sense now. There are a few more cas/cat files now and a few weird things going on now. The release patch folder was so small I really didn't start catching on to what was going on in the patch folder and such until after when there was actually something there.

Yeah, most of the game is in the base folders(~80k cat entries and like ~45k in the base, but even amount of sb/toc entries) but at the same time the patch folder if full of delta patches, where it only takes a handful of bytes to change a file. I was curious to see how much they messed with resource files via patching with out having to dump all the audio again. Last time I got something like 130k audio files and it took fooooorrrever.
Symthic.com - elementofprgress
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

elementofprgress wrote:I was curious to see how much they messed with resource files via patching with out having to dump all the audio again. Last time I got something like 130k audio files and it took fooooorrrever.
I can't imagine them changing some bytes in an AUDIO file. More like sound ebx, to turn the volume up/down a bit. Anyway, you can just comment the decoding routine and make a counter to do that.
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

elementofprgress wrote:130k audio files
I also recommend using my XAS decoder, because Frank's dll makes 32-bit WAV files, and this is a big waste of space in case of 130k files.
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Re: StarWars Battlefront unpacker / decoder

Post by daemon1 »

Audio decoder updated. Because of minor error, very long audio chunks (music) were converted wrong.
ariarosmurf
ultra-n00b

Post by ariarosmurf »

Can someone please tell me where i can get the unpacker decoder, i wanna get all the voices from battlefront!
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

ariarosmurf wrote:Can someone please tell me where i can get the unpacker decoder, i wanna get all the voices from battlefront!
It's right here in this thread in the first post!
ariarosmurf
ultra-n00b

Post by ariarosmurf »

cant find it, please link me the download
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

ariarosmurf
ultra-n00b

Post by ariarosmurf »

yeah but how do it work, is it just SWBF.rar? what do i do help
ariarosmurf
ultra-n00b

Post by ariarosmurf »

please tell me what to do
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

If you never used python to unpack Frostbyte engine, I'm afraid this will be too hard. Try searching for tutorials for battlefield or other Frostbyte games.

Also you can use simple decoder, that's very easy, but in this case, files will have no proper names.
ariarosmurf
ultra-n00b

Post by ariarosmurf »

cant u give me a download llink for sounds
johnathon
ultra-n00b

Post by johnathon »

Anyone else having memory issues with the script?
After running for about 5 hours, Python complains that it's out of RAM. I checked in task manager and it shows Python using 1.8GB of memory, which is just at the 2GB limit for 32bit processes.
Patching Python to be large address aware lets the script run for a lot longer. But eventually it fails in the same way when Python reaches 3.8GB memory usage.
Is the script leaking memory somewhere?
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

I don't have the full game, so I can't check it. I don't think the script can leak memory, but the LZ77.DLL, which is probably written in c++, can.

What's the result of unpack? How much of the data it dumps until crash?

I can suggest you unpacking 3 big parts separately: initial, mp & sp.
johnathon
ultra-n00b

Post by johnathon »

daemon1 wrote:I don't have the full game, so I can't check it. I don't think the script can leak memory, but the LZ77.DLL, which is probably written in c++, can.

What's the result of unpack? How much of the data it dumps until crash?

I can suggest you unpacking 3 big parts separately: initial, mp & sp.
It dumps around 13GB before failing.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a go. Presumably by commenting out the other cat path definitions?

I've also noticed that it doesn't seem to dump any ebx files from the expansion packs. It makes the xp0 and xp1 directories and subdirectories but they're all empty. I commented out the lines that dump the res and chunk files so that the script can complete (they use the most memory), but the folders are still empty. Any ideas?