Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

.xma sound files - Perfect Dark Zero (Xbox 360)

Get help on any and all audio formats, or chip in and help others!
Pepsee
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

.xma sound files - Perfect Dark Zero (Xbox 360)

Post by Pepsee »

Hello, everyone. For a couple days I've been trying to dig though the audio files of one of the most underrated games of all time for the Xbox 360, Perfect Dark Zero, a prequel to the original Perfect Dark for the N64.

Anyhow, I found that the audio files are .xwb and .xsb, but upon extracted them with EkszBox-ABX v1.5, I get .xma files which I have no clue how to open. After doing some research, I found out that they are open-able in the Cross-platform Audio Creation Tool (XACT). However, I couldn't find this tool anywhere and I really would like to get the music and sound effects from this game. I will upload some samples for download.

Thanks for reading and have a good one! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spider91
advanced

Re: .xma sound files - Perfect Dark Zero (Xbox 360)

Post by spider91 »

to decode .xma use xmaencode.exe or towav.exe
brendan19
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by brendan19 »

These samples are mono channel headerless XMA streams.

You'll need to use QuickBMS from Aluigi and AlphaTwentyThree's XMA Transform Script to add a proper XMA header.

From the samples you provided, they are definitely mono from the XMA flag identifier near the start of the file (FC 03 80 00) found at 0x06 so you might need to adjust two lines in the script and change it around for other audio files as well as needed.

set FREQ_DEFAULT 48000 # for files without given freq info/headerless files (replace 48000 with one of the following: 22050, 32000, 44100 or 48000)
set CH_DEFAULT 2 # for headerless XMA files (2 for stereo files, 1 for mono files)

Stereo files have the XMA flag identifier (FC 01 C0 01) which can also found at 0x06.

After you have added a proper header, ToWAV will decode them from XMA to WAV.
Pepsee
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepsee »

Sorry for the very late reply, I left this postponed for a very long while whilst checking out other games.
I get this error message whenever I try to add a .xma file inside...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brendan19
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by brendan19 »

I forgot to mention that Alpha's script relies on the HCS tool XMA Parse so put that inside the same folder as QuickBMS.
Pepsee
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepsee »

I don't understand how to do this. Can you explain me the process in detail, please? How do I convert a .xma file to .wav? From start to finish