Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

[REL/REQ] Sleeping Dogs Part 2: Definitive Edition

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Theuaredead`
ultra-n00b

Re: [REL/REQ] Sleeping Dogs Part 2: Definitive Edition

Post by Theuaredead` »

2A 7A C6 13 appears to tell the game where the texture is in the TEMP.BIN

C0 AA 02 appears to be the location of the texture aswell (maybe end point?), but it might be to control the texture size,
this is what it does in-game when I edit C0 AA 02

Also, 55 50 might have something to do with the DXT readings, I put it on the head texture to see if any artifacting would happen, but it didn't appear so, I still need to test it on the normal maps to see if something changes, 55 50 appears to be for DXT5, A8 AA appears to be DXT1

EDIT:

Appears the 55 50 and A8 AA don't control the DXTes, Maybe it's in the .TEMP.BIN?
Still gotta look more at the PERM.BIN
SergeantJoe
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by SergeantJoe »

SergeantJoe wrote:In order to extract textures from Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition we basically have to cut the texture bytes out of the .TEMP.BIN file and glue on a proper .DDS header.
It's a bit of a long and obnoxious process though, so bear with me.
Just a heads up, I managed to create a program that automates this process. It's not perfect, but it certainly saves a lot of time.
artworkplay
veteran

Post by artworkplay »

Kinda off/on topic but does anyone have howfie's texture extractor from the original/old Sleeping Dogs because I don't have DE.
SergeantJoe
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by SergeantJoe »

I already replied to your post on Facepunch but here's the link again just in case.
SergeantJoe
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by SergeantJoe »

Gentlemen, today we have been given a gift from the gods themselves.

Triad Wars, the third installment in the Sleeping Dogs series that's currently in open beta, ships with a tool that can convert textures to .bin format!

It uses the exact same engine as Definitive Edition, and another plus: all the BIG files are split into many parts. So, we can unpack one or more without the game crashing!

Combine that with this new tool and we finally have the ability to make mods!

I've compared the generated .bin files, and they're EXACTLY the same as DE .bin files, with only a couple bytes difference in the .perm.bin.

However, we cannot pull the same trick with DE, because the BIG files contain a lot more.

For example, Characters crashes the game when unpacked because of a few buggy unknowns at the beginning of the file. In TW those are in Characters 1.big, so we can safely unpack and modify Characters 2-4.big.
octaviousrex
veteran

Post by octaviousrex »

I am willing to use these tools but might I be able to rquest if someone could get me the armored car and police bike files. I'll use these tools to do the translating myself. either way thank you all for your time.
SergeantJoe
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by SergeantJoe »

Sure, no problem. Here you go.
SergeantJoe
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by SergeantJoe »

Definitive Edition compatibility confirmed!

But like I said, we can only edit cutscene models. The regular ones cannot be modified because of those buggy unknowns in Characters.

The good news is, I showed my TW mod to the devs, and they loved it!
Here's hoping I'm able to persuade them to release a model converter as well. Fingers crossed!
octaviousrex
veteran

Post by octaviousrex »

SergeantJoe wrote:Sure, no problem. Here you go.
thanks so much for the help. means a lot.
OriginOfWaves
beginner

Post by OriginOfWaves »

SergeantJoe wrote:Gentlemen, today we have been given a gift from the gods themselves.

Triad Wars, the third installment in the Sleeping Dogs series that's currently in open beta, ships with a tool that can convert textures to .bin format!

It uses the exact same engine as Definitive Edition, and another plus: all the BIG files are split into many parts. So, we can unpack one or more without the game crashing!

Combine that with this new tool and we finally have the ability to make mods!

snip

I've compared the generated .bin files, and they're EXACTLY the same as DE .bin files, with only a couple bytes difference in the .perm.bin.

However, we cannot pull the same trick with DE, because the BIG files contain a lot more.

For example, Characters crashes the game when unpacked because of a few buggy unknowns at the beginning of the file. In TW those are in Characters 1.big, so we can safely unpack and modify Characters 2-4.big.
hey there, i realize it's been a few months since this thread has seen any action but i was hoping you could help me out. it's about that tool that you're talking about that comes with Triad Wars, the "texturescriberpc64.exe". how do you actually use it? and can it also be used to extract textures from .bin files?

thanks in advance.
SergeantJoe
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by SergeantJoe »

Oh, no problem. This community needs anything and everything we can get.

Here, I've compiled a convenient download with all you need plus an example.

The basic process is this: place the texture files in the root folder, edit the .bat and .xml files (I've commented them) then run the .bat and it should create a Data folder with the new .bin pair inside.
I'm in a hurry right now but I'll write up a much more lengthy explanation when I get back.

OriginOfWaves wrote:and can it also be used to extract textures from .bin files?
Sadly no, it only works one way. However, I made a program that can. I've included it in the above download.

Although it's pretty buggy since I'm not a good programmer.
OriginOfWaves
beginner

Post by OriginOfWaves »

thanks for the quick response. shame that this tool can't extract textures too. anyways i downloaded your little program and unfortunately i'm having some problems extracting textures. looks like if a .bin file has textures that are smaller then 512x512 the program reports an unsupported size and crashes. maybe you could look into adding support for smaller images, something like 256x256 and 128x128.

And if it's not too much of a problem could you reupload those valid dds headers. i can't seem to get working normal maps out of the .bin files. tried out a few ATI2 headers from some images i have on my HDD but none give me a good result.

Edit: oh and for some reason i can't import a single perm .bin from character and Character HD into blender 2.49 with that script you provided. i'm getting a memory error.
Tosyk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by Tosyk »

Thank you for all you do here
my blog | my forum
SergeantJoe
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by SergeantJoe »

Tosyk wrote:can you reupload this pls?
Here you go!

Just out of curiosity, what are you planning on using it for? After all this time, we still can't really modify anything worthwhile because of the archive unpack problems. :(
SilverEvo
n00b

Post by SilverEvo »

I know I am beating a dead horse with a stick and I apologize for this, but any chance someone keeping the Triad Wars game files?