Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Wangan Midnight [Need Help Reversing]

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
REDZOEU
veteran

Re: Wangan Midnight [Need Help Reversing]

Post by REDZOEU »

If someone is willing enough to convert this to GTA V, C1 would look absolutely gorgeous.
Takukun
advanced

Post by Takukun »

Guys I was now seriously thinking about doing the same thing with TXR3 and I've been playing around with Hex editors and stuff, looking at the structure of the game etc. but as I have ZERO experience with Hex, reverse engineering, BMS, MaxScript and stuff (only a little programming experience) I just don't know where to start.

Is this even feasible for me to do? I am willing to learn but I fear It's too advanced as I'm a total noob...
Any help is appreciated.

Again THANK YOU for making this possible, I just can't describe how happy I am. Maybe I'm just too obsessed with Shuto expressway...
REDZOEU
veteran

Post by REDZOEU »

Don't worry, you're not the only one. I'm the same as you. Heck, i have no idea what programming is. I helped nfm by pointing out stuff like possible file structure and stuff. He's the one doing the programming and extracting, and mariokart64n did the maxscript (and some other who helped that i forgot to mention).

If you're gonna give TXR3 a try, maybe guys like the ones said above might help you. I'm also looking forward if Osaka's model can be taken. But you know, there's an even better world than TXR3, which is Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune series. It's currently the 5th game that's available in my country, but someone uploaded the arcade files of WMMT2 on the internet. WMMT2 alone have nice looking shutokou map, from C1, New Belt Line, Yokohane, Wangan, Osaka, Hakone, and some i forgot. Newer maps like Nagoya, Fukuoka, C2, and Hakone Taikan is only available on WMMT5 (Japanese and International version have different maps, cars, and features).

Well, i'm just giving my opinion for something better than TXR3, but TXR3 itself is great too.
Takukun
advanced

Post by Takukun »

REDZOEU wrote:Don't worry, you're not the only one. I'm the same as you. Heck, i have no idea what programming is. I helped nfm by pointing out stuff like possible file structure and stuff. He's the one doing the programming and extracting, and mariokart64n did the maxscript (and some other who helped that i forgot to mention).

If you're gonna give TXR3 a try, maybe guys like the ones said above might help you. I'm also looking forward if Osaka's model can be taken. But you know, there's an even better world than TXR3, which is Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune series. It's currently the 5th game that's available in my country, but someone uploaded the arcade files of WMMT2 on the internet. WMMT2 alone have nice looking shutokou map, from C1, New Belt Line, Yokohane, Wangan, Osaka, Hakone, and some i forgot. Newer maps like Nagoya, Fukuoka, C2, and Hakone Taikan is only available on WMMT5 (Japanese and International version have different maps, cars, and features).

Well, i'm just giving my opinion for something better than TXR3, but TXR3 itself is great too.
Glad to hear that :P

Sadly, there are no WMMT machines in the whole country where I live (did they even bring them to Europe?) but I agree that Maxi2 looks gorgeous (well, if we could extract 3D from WMMT5 that would be even better :D). I chose TXR3 mainly because of Osaka and Nagoya. If I remember correctly, there is also an extra piece of Wangan which is missing in other TXR games.

I extracted the .chd file of Maxi2 (which is under 1GB) with the help of MAME's tool "chdman" and the header of the extracted img is ".ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ....." and the image name which are repeated several times. TXR3's BUILD.TOC's header is "æi..#5®.t ®.]B®."

These are the only things I know.

As I said I'm willing to learn, I just need some indications where even do I start xD Or is it even possible, because of Import Tuner Challenge being compressed with an unknown format, there is a chance also TXR3 is...
REDZOEU
veteran

Post by REDZOEU »

Wow, great progress there, mate :D
Now we just have to wait for someone professional enough with these type of things to help us once again. Hell, i posted few topics, and none get helped. Only this one, with the help of nfm. Let's just hope things won't just stop at only Wangan Midnight.
Takukun
advanced

Post by Takukun »

REDZOEU wrote:Wow, great progress there, mate :D
Now we just have to wait for someone professional enough with these type of things to help us once again. Hell, i posted few topics, and none get helped. Only this one, with the help of nfm. Let's just hope things won't just stop at only Wangan Midnight.
Actually it's nothing you can't do. Just open up the file in the Hex editor, read the header and check if any of the stuff is human-readable/understandable.

Yeah I saw the ITC one... nobody seems to know :( I'm the type of person who doesn't like to ask and pray for help but it's a dead end for me at this point.

Currently, I'm learning BMS script from some pages I found online.

Man, imagine... A game with the full complete Shuto expressway + Osaka + Nagoya etc, with the storyline(s) and gameplay of TXR and WMMT, fully moddable game engine with options of importing your own 3D cars and customizing them to your liking, multiplayer battles of 2 vs 2 or even 3 vs 3, decent traffic (not like TXR3's annoying yellow van) etc etc etc... goosebumps xD
REDZOEU
veteran

Post by REDZOEU »

Hell, that would be japanese car culture's paradise for a game.

Honestly speaking, i'm lazy when it comes to codes, but hearing that from you, it sounds easy. Maybe if i have time, i might do some googling to learn a little bit of stuff like maxscript, bms, and hex. But i tried learning hex once, but failed at doing so (was attempting to extract models with hex2obj for the game RIDE).

Assetto Corsa's almost close enough to what we actually want. It's just that it lacks arcade physics, customization, time, weather, story, etc. Might as well make that kind of game using Unity or any other game engines imo.
Takukun
advanced

Post by Takukun »

REDZOEU wrote:Hell, that would be japanese car culture's paradise for a game.

Honestly speaking, i'm lazy when it comes to codes, but hearing that from you, it sounds easy. Maybe if i have time, i might do some googling to learn a little bit of stuff like maxscript, bms, and hex. But i tried learning hex once, but failed at doing so (was attempting to extract models with hex2obj for the game RIDE).

Assetto Corsa's almost close enough to what we actually want. It's just that it lacks arcade physics, customization, time, weather, story, etc. Might as well make that kind of game using Unity or any other game engines imo.
Bad news. I've been playing around with hex and found the .éUCLÿ header somewhere in the middle of BUILD.DAT file (TXR3) which I thought wasn't there. In other ps2 GENKI games i checked the files start with this header right off the bat so I thought this one, which doesn't have it at the start of the file, was extractable.

According to nfm, ITC uses the same header which points to some kind of unknown encryption. This is what i feared the most :(

Man I'm disappointed. Now we really need some experts to work on this.
Takukun
advanced

Post by Takukun »

A little update.

I've been trying to extract the files from the chd of Maxi2 for the last 2 days but still I'm not successful. It is an old Sega GD ROM, you can open it with Dreamcast file explorers for that file but the difference is no files would show up except three txt files with no useful info. IsoBuster's not helpful either. Then I found online someone wrote some tools for Sega Chihiro platform, including an extractor, in C language (they weren't compiled). It seems these tools are for Linux as some libraries included are unix-based so i went and tried to compile them in CentOS 6 with gcc which threw out errors. There is also a .sh file which is the main file and makes use of MAME's chdman, bin2iso and other tools. Finally I succeeded to compile some of the tools with DevC++ on windows but the main tool (the extractor) still wouldn't compile because of some errors.

So does any of you know how to extract data from a chd (especially Chihiro's Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune)?

Next thing, I succeeded at extracting Dreamcast's Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2's 3D files. They are without an extension and are stored in .AFS archives which can be opened using some tools. I know they are low poly but hey, they don't have that weird header and are extractable :) now I must find a way to import them.

Oh I almost forgot. A year ago or so I ripped the cars from TXR Portable (PSP). Poly number is very similar to TXR3's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lratafia
ultra-n00b

Post by lratafia »

nfm wrote:
kimdrummel wrote:Is there still any progress being made on this? Was thinking about this whole DMCA thing. I love this being ported to Assetto Corsa. I was dreaming about doing this for rFactor 1 back in the day but with the models from TXR 3.
I consider C1 map complete at this point. I have handed files to multiple people who have asked, I think they are playing around and trying to convert map to rFactor, you can search youtube for videos. The DMCA thing doesn't have that much impact, don't worry about it, the download link to rev3 is still here.

Main thing is the lack of a racing game that can do decent job with lighting in order to have a night map.
hi, you know the track doesn't appear on the acServerManager, do you know how to fix that? thanks
Takukun
advanced

Post by Takukun »

Cmon guys, no one? :( If the strange Genki's encryption gets taken care of, then we can get another HUNDREDS of kilometers of expressways! For example:

Osaka area (Hanshin expressway):
-loop 1
-route 16
-route 4
-route 6
-route 15

Nagoya area:
-Ring route
-high speed loop of Nagoya expressway (don't remember the name)

Tokyo Area:
-Yaesu
-Shinjuku 4
-Shibuya 3
-EDIT: Minato Mirai
Then there are custom cars of C1 Racing Battle and Kaido Battle with special vinyls, not mentioning the great number of tracks to race on.

Hopefully somebody can help.

Enjoy and I wish you all a happy new year! :)
REDZOEU
veteran

Post by REDZOEU »

Oh hell, somehow new replies are not notified to me by e-mail :D
Nice progress there!
Also, i'm wondering if this is nfm's youtube channel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkH8aG3NOrc
That's a video of Wangan for AC.
And as always, i can't be of any help with those headers stuff (i don't even know how to extract them .afs files :mrgreen: )
Guess all i can do is just wait :(
nfm
advanced

Post by nfm »

rev4 is here with some changes if anybody's interested, there's still tons of things I would like to see improved

c1_rev4.zip 85.9MB, md5 hash: 60c254c93c2f9666635350e60158350a
download: link

[rev4]
- fixed missing AC_PIT_2, map can now work with 12 cars
- added a turn-around on rainbow bridge for a way to re-enter the pit stop
- added AC_TIME_1_L & AC_TIME_1_R boxes for split-time, general timing and ghost car recording (thanks to Aleinikov65 for mentioning)
- moved pit boxes [5,6,7,8,9,10,11] to fix AI cars spawning on the road above (thanks to Aleinikov65 for mentioning)
- added sections.ini file for track description app (by Aleinikov65)
- added TV Cameras! (and csv files for camera spline movement) (by Aleinikov65)
- made pitlane.ai file for AI to enter and leave track (this not quite works yet) (by Aleinikov65)
- redone the fastlane.ai, however AI cars still crash into the walls (by Aleinikov65)

Yeah the Wangan preview video is by me @REDZOEU
REDZOEU
veteran

Post by REDZOEU »

Haha, that explains the same profile picture then :D
I still can't quite enjoy the mod to the fullest (due to lags). If there's anything i could help with, let me know (If i could be of use, anyway).
I might consider making car mods for AC too, but exams are on my way, so that's a no go for now.
RacingFreak
veteran

Post by RacingFreak »

Wow, that's awesome. Thanks guys!

What about SBOL? Shutokou Battle Online was the only PC SB game by Genki, and it has nice score of cars. If someone is willing to take a look it will be greatly appreciated :)

samples: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4st00metd0xbp3/CAR.zip?dl=0