Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

The Results are in! The Future of the Forum Poll!

Read rules and news about the XeNTaX Game Discussion Forum
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

The Results are in! The Future of the Forum Poll!

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Hi all,

A couple of days ago the poll closed with the 5 questions regarding the future of the forum. With between 290-382 respondents per question, it would probably be fair to say that we have a good view on the "true" forum members. Let's see.

Please read on !

Question 1:
forumq1.png
When it comes to the visit frequency of the respondents, about one third (31%) of them come to the forum every week, while about one in 6 people (16%) are here every day!
Another one in 5 (20%) frequent the board each month. The rest, one third (33%), are either here at least each every month or quarter (23%, so nearly one in 4), or less.
In other words, 67% (2 out of 3) are here at least every month, and 47% (nearly half of us) at least each week, of which 1/3 each day.

Question 2:
forumq2.png
We are a relatively young community! 68% (2/3) are 30 years of age or younger (though there are no wizkids of 10 years or younger ;) ).
In fact, the majority (40%) is between 18 and 25 years, while a quarter of respondents is between 26 and 30.
Another quarter is between 31 and 40 (23%). The rest, 41 years or older (9%), including the 3% 51 or older.

Question 3:
forumq3.png
Sadly, more than half (54%) of responding members don't ever post, they either read or download. So there is no active contribution to the forum from them. Judging from the 23K+ number of registered members, versus 332 respondents, I am guessing 54% is a huge underestimation of that group. I think it would be safe to say that this number is actually much, much higher.
In any event, only 12% of respondents are here just to help others, while another 22% state they ask for help, but also offer it, adding up to 34% (a third) of respondents that will help you out here. I think that's not bad at all. Finally, 12% of respondents state they're just here to get help. Likewise, that is not bad at all.
Even if you don't post, you're bound to get something out of this forum, that may be transferred somewhere else. So the third of active members help out a lot more people than those that respond here!

Question 4:
forumq4.png
An overwhelming number of respondents want this forum to continue, 93% of 341 respondents. 7% don't care. 1 person says it could be stopped.
I think that is interesting. Should there not be those among those 93% that would actively step up as admins to manage the forum? If so, STEP UP! [bruce]
It is one thing to want this forum to go on, quite another to make that happen.

Question 5:
forumq5.png
Again, an overwhelming number of people state they credit the forum in their products, 96%. 71% even say they always do that! Good news, when it comes to the respondents! Yet, considering 290 people filled in the poll out of the 23K+ registered members, it is doubtful if we can actually conclude this for every registered member. I guess the vast majority just come here to read / download and we won't ever know if they credit or not. . .

:bravo:

So there we have it! Without claiming to state total and supreme truth, I think it can be said that the active part of our community is for a large part young and dynamic, and half of them are at least here every month and a core of one third is here every week or even daily. Even if half of us are here just to read or post, the rest are part of the active members club.
Finally, it seems you all want the forum to continue.

Now comes the question: who wants to run it and make sure it will continue?

:think: Your thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheez
ultra-n00b

Re: The Results are in! The Future of the Forum Poll!

Post by Cheez »

The tricky part will probably be in finding someone with the resources to do it. I owned some web space for a while, until it became too expensive to hold onto space I hadn't found a use for. I imagine it only gets worse when you have something to protect and police.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Cheez wrote:The tricky part will probably be in finding someone with the resources to do it. I owned some web space for a while, until it became too expensive to hold onto space I hadn't found a use for. I imagine it only gets worse when you have something to protect and police.
Resources are not the issue. We can maintain the hosting.
Csimbi
veteran

Post by Csimbi »

Mr.Mouse wrote:Now comes the question: who wants to run it and make sure it will continue?
What does that entail?
______
Csimbi
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Csimbi wrote:
Mr.Mouse wrote:Now comes the question: who wants to run it and make sure it will continue?
What does that entail?
Be a role like one of these: admin, webmaster, forum code maintainer/programmer, public relations manager, newsposter and the like. Seek out new projects, and new civilizations. :) Boldly go where no XeNTaX member has gone before. :rock:
Acewell
VIP member
VIP member

Post by Acewell »

Hold my beer, i got this! :D jk

I think the forum is pretty much self sustaining, maybe just needs more active moderation and some hide tags for large blocks of code and monster images that some members post. (:
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

AceWell wrote:
Hold my beer, i got this! :D jk

I think the forum is pretty much self sustaining, maybe just needs more active moderation and some hide tags for large blocks of code and monster images that some members post. (:
Lol at jk. :harry

Still, for the current admins it is a "burden" time-wise, and a lot more can be done to make it a lot better and more self sustaining. It also could do with young blood in the admin range. :wv:
The mods did / do a fine job, no worries there, lot of respect for them.
Haoose
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Haoose »

Hello, Mr.Mouse )
I would like to continue to live forum.
This is a good site, there are a lot of clever people.
And I would be interested to participate in writing the code for the forum (forum code programmer).
But there is one small problem. I know that my English is not high enough to communicate freely with team members. If this is not a problem - I'd like to try to become part of the team. =)
Once again: I would not want to Forum stopped existence.
-= GP-team =-
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Devilot »

I've already did some admin\newsposting for the forum. can you get into greater detail about what this involves?
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Devilot wrote:I've already did some admin\newsposting for the forum. can you get into greater detail about what this involves?
I can, sure, drop me a PM. :)
Delphy
ultra-n00b

Post by Delphy »

As a very long time admin and owner of one of the largest Sims modding sites in the world, I can say that it's quite a nice challenge to run a website, especially one involved in game modding and reverse engineering files (which I love to do). I'd be happy to help out where I can, since I have quite a bit of experience in forum coding too. :)
Ekey
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by Ekey »

I remember when on this forum has been big number of people in a per day 150+. My first account registration here Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:36 am. I tried to help everyone as best he could. Finally, i got VVIP member status with 3 stars - i did not expect. :keke: But lost account control - Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:57 pm.

I think, Mr.Mouse remember who I am, right? :). 10 years as I dwell on this forum! Nostalgia! :P
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Ekey wrote: I think, Mr.Mouse remember who I am, right? :). 10 years as I dwell on this forum! Nostalgia! :P
I certainly remember you Ekey!!!! :up:
HugoPeters
veteran

Post by HugoPeters »

Even though I haven't been on here for that long, I would love to be a part of the team that maintains and develops the site.
I'll drop a PM :dance:

"I'm going to throw my shit at you" —The Great Mighty Poo
_______________________>> check my portfolio I wish the [center] bbcode was turned on
_______________________>> or my twitter
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

Wow, Ekey, you've been here that long? Damn!