Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Future of the forum: Q5 - Do you give credit to the forum?

Read rules and news about the XeNTaX Game Discussion Forum

Do you give credit to the forum if someone helps you?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:12 pm

Yes. I always give credit to those who help out in my products.
71%
Well, sometimes I do credit the forum for the help.
24%
No. I mostly take their help and do not give credit in my product.
4%

Total votes: 290

Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Future of the forum: Q5 - Do you give credit to the forum?

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Hi everyone, time for a number of poll questions to determine the future of the forum.

Question 5: Do you give credit to the forum?

Also make sure to answer the following other questions:
Question 1: How often do you come here?
Question 2: What age are you in years?
Question 3: Why do you come here?
Question 4: Should the forum continue?

If you are done with those: What suggestions or ideas do you have for the forum, what are your thoughts in general? Post here.
HiddenKnowledge
ultra-n00b

Re: Future of the forum: Q5 - Do you give credit to the foru

Post by HiddenKnowledge »

This questions seems to assume that we only need credit for products but sometimes we just want to discuss something related to it or only use it for personal projects.
Personally if I use something from any forum or website, I link back to the relevant post. If I (want to) use it in my product I contact the post author if there isn't a license for it already and ask them for a license/permission to use it.
If I use it for a personal project that will never see daylight, I use the relevant thanking feature (Post a reply/Press thanks) and if it happens a lot then I will let my friends know about the forum/site as well/post it on social media.
I really prefer the thanking option though because it means I don't need to bug everyone subscribed with my "thanks" post.

I voted yes because I try to give credit where possible.
WRS
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by WRS »

depends. i usually dive in because i have some free time to look into a format.

i've referred people to xentax because there is a huge amount of information here - but it's not always easy to discover (beyond the realms of searching, i'm thinking discussions on stuff and direct messages)
Useful tool links:
Quetzalcoatil
n00b

Post by Quetzalcoatil »

This isn't really a fair question. I don't produce a lot. I comment when and where I can if it feels appropriate. But that usually means on this same forum :P
Honestly I try not to draw too much attention to us. This is a hacking forum when you get down to it. I point people I know IRL life here all the time though. If I feel they'd get/give something to/from the community. I made one of my classes reverse engineer a 3d model file I showed them how to scrape once. Then made them build an obj from scratch using the data as a final project. I pointed the ones that really took to it here after the project was due. They liked it.
raziel2001au
ultra-n00b

Post by raziel2001au »

Yeah i agree, i use the knowledge here for personal use, I ended up saying sometimes since it seemed the closest to a neutral option, but this question really does not apply to me and i imagine a lot of other visitors to the forum.
Uikri
ultra-n00b

Post by Uikri »

I answered yes on the assumption that I actually put anything out there. So long as the person is not being a whiny, demanding jerk about it, I believe they are always due credit when they are the key to me figuring something out that would have otherwise prevented me from achieving my goal.
randomreader
ultra-n00b

Post by randomreader »

I do, yes.
Nerd42
beginner

Post by Nerd42 »

I generally haven't given credit because I think people often don't want it because of all the copyright stuff could make it more blame than credit on alot of this, since it's often in a legal grey area. But if I should be giving credit then I can
GMMan
veteran

Post by GMMan »

Hard question for me to actually answer. I do mostly original research, and post results of my research here. If there is anyone to be credited, I do it in the post accompanying tools or in the source code, but only by name in the compiled program. I haven't credited XeNTaX in any of my programs (though I wish I did for certain ones so tools that somehow ended up getting rehosted on other sites would at least link back here).
Currently researching: Alpha Prime scripting (AI and mods)
Queued: EE .cache repacking, CustomPak repacking, Gameloft Scrambled Zip multitool, GRAF Extractor Skeleton repacking, Gun Metal filenames CRC