Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Mortal Kombat X sound format

Get help on any and all audio formats, or chip in and help others!
crazymonkey25
ultra-n00b

Re: Mortal Kombat X sound format

Post by crazymonkey25 »

Okay so I see what you're saying. I managed to do Jax's Foley sounds because it had the FSB5. But like you said, when you try the SFX, there' s no FSB5. Tricky.

Btw did you end up with OGG Vorbis files when you did the Jax extract? I can't see to open them with anything, wondering if I did something wrong.

edit: nvm got it, I wasn't using the suitable FSB extractor. "fsb_aud_extr" worked like a charm. I'm feeling like a genius right now even though I'm doing the most basic, noobish shit :D . Props to all you dudes who know how to code and program, you make everything easy for guys like me haha.
MusicNerd
beginner

Post by MusicNerd »

I tried what was suggested above (I am working on Scorpions VO file SND_SPEECH_SCORPION_ENG.XXX) and no matter what no FSB header. This is Madness!
I can see in the file the packed .wav file references, if I look at the .fev file I can see the 3 .fsb file containers but when I look at the source data file no headers. I am guessing this is an issue with the extract.exe or fsb dumper tool that was posted earlier. If It's not dumping at the correct offset the fsb headers are being cut off... Any further suggestions guys?
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

MusicNerd wrote:SND_SPEECH_SCORPION_ENG.XXX
Packages of this type have encrypted FSBs outside of package structure, just appended to the end of it. You can split them with Luigi's script. http://zenhax.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=833
Seifer29
n00b

Post by Seifer29 »

It's cool that you guys are making progress with this stuff.

Was trying to extract the contents of SND_VO_Raiden_X64DataSourceBank_0.FmodSourceData, but ran into some problems. So after I deleted all the lines above FSB5 and saved it as an fsb file I tried to extract the contents using both fsbext and fsb_aud_extr. fsbext gave me an output of 110 ogg files that seemed unplayable, like crazymonkey25 said above. Then I tried fsb_aud_extr and got 5 wav files as output (the command screen seemed like it was frozen or like it was still trying to output more files, but nothing came out). I was able to play the wav files, but they came out distorted, almost like slo mo.

Any idea what the problem is? I probably screwed something up along the way like a fool. Thanks.
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

Seifer29 wrote:I tried fsb_aud_extr and got 5 wav files as output (the command screen seemed like it was frozen or like it was still trying to output more files, but nothing came out).
This must be an error in official FMOD library. It hangs on "readData" function. It must either give me an error code or work, but it just hangs. We can wait until they find and fix this, or you can try "player ex".
Seifer29
n00b

Post by Seifer29 »

Holy crap, it works, lol. Just plugged the SND_VO_Raiden_X64DataSourceBank_0.fsb into musicplayer ex and it allowed me to convert the sounds and extract them as playable wavs. It contains all of Raiden's combat sounds. Assuming this works for the rest of the cast, as well.

Thanks a bunch guys.

EDIT: Ah, I see what you guys mean about certain files not having the FSB5 line. Those won't open in music player ex. Some files have it and some don't for some reason.
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

Seifer29 wrote:Some files have it and some don't for some reason.
Those other files have them encrypted. Just check all DataSourceBank files.
Seifer29
n00b

Post by Seifer29 »

Hey Daemon,

So is there any way to decrypt the files so that music player ex will recognize them as fsb files? The method used for the other ones was to delete the first two lines before the FSB5 line and save it as an fsb file. What would the method be for the encrypted file?

Sorry for the constant questions.
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

Delete first 32 bytes, then decrypt the file the way mentioned above.
Seifer29
n00b

Post by Seifer29 »

Alright Daemon, it worked. Thanks for the help.
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

OK, here's temporary workaround for these small sounds which freezes the extractor.

Somehow (i think by error in fmod official library) for MONO files, instead of sound length in bytes it returns twice smaller number, and then hangs when i try to read the sound. 2-,4-,6-channel files extracts without this problem. So I make it double the size only for mono files. That is wrong, but it works now. Suggestions welcome.

p.s. there was no error. See below.
Last edited by daemon1 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Straight Edge
advanced

Post by Straight Edge »

Tested it out with CHAR_Mileena_A.xxx. It seems to have extracted most if not all of the encrypted SFX files, however most of the VO files weren't extracted correctly since they're at 1KB in size.
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

[file deleted, new version uploaded below]

Ok, problem was when the whole FSB file is marked as stereo, then fmod extracts all individual files as stereo, though they all can actually be mono. The same is probably true for other channel combinations.

So this new version ignores what's written in individual sound properties, and extracts all the files with the channel count given in FSB. At least it works for all files that i have now.
Last edited by daemon1 on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Straight Edge
advanced

Post by Straight Edge »

daemon1 wrote:Ok, problem was when the whole FSB file is marked as stereo, then fmod extracts all individual files as stereo, though they all can actually be mono. The same is probably true for other channel combinations.

So this new version ignores what's written in individual sound properties, and extracts all the files with the channel count given in FSB. At least it works for all files that i have now.
Tested it. Extracted all the files successfully this time. :D

Thanks a bunch, and great work!
crazymonkey25
ultra-n00b

Post by crazymonkey25 »

Holy crap, extracting the audio from all the characters works perfect now. You guys are amazing. Thank you!