Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

[PS2] Death by Degrees UV extraction (500$ compensation)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
IvoryCutter
beginner

Re: [PS2] Death by Degrees UV extraction (500$ compensation)

Post by IvoryCutter »

Magnificent! I love the art direction in this game. Finally there's a way to really appreciate it.

Can I try?
Also, looks like it's time you PM me your paypal info :-)
mariokart64n
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by mariokart64n »

Cool I'll PM you my info, I still need to prepare an explanation on how to get everything together
Maxscript and other finished work I've done can be found on my DeviantArt account
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

That is an awfully roundabout way of interpreting stcycl/stmask-driven unpacks. :) It should Just Work if pushed through the Noesis VIF unpacker.
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Yeah, I had a chance to plug this into Noesis and verify today. All it's doing is using those stcycl and stmask commands to affect the subsequent unpacks, which run through and write R3 into the position w's, then you can conveniently use those position w's as strip resets. All the work is done for you if you just VIF-unpack the data. You were manually interpreting the CYCLE and MASK values to figure out strip offsets. :)

Did this guy ever pay up? Because this format will probably be in the next Noesis.
mariokart64n
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by mariokart64n »

nope haven't got any money for this project yet, OP says he will next month.

also have you looked into Tekken5's format? the mesh table is driving me crazy.
I had to manually assign the materials such a pain

http://www46.zippyshare.com/v/oXIZY6Ym/file.html
Maxscript and other finished work I've done can be found on my DeviantArt account
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

I'd suspect he's a terrible liar, then. I'm tempted to just start banning people who broadcast financial offers. Even the ones that come through tend to end up being pieces of crap in one way or another. People shouldn't make offers if they don't have the money to follow through, either way.

Nope, I haven't looked at Tekken 5 yet. Planning to do that soonish. I'm assuming that in these Death by Degrees models, texture id's are stored in those blocks after the draw structures, which are referenced from the draw structures, and those blocks themselves probably represent a simple material structure. Haven't gotten to verifying that yet either. I just went as far as getting them up and drawing using the VIF-unpacked strip signals. I never would've gotten involved with this thread if that hex block you pasted hadn't looked like it started off with VIF cycle and mask commands, but I figure I might as well jam support for this thing in now that I've already half-implemented it.
mariokart64n
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by mariokart64n »

yeah haven't had luck with money offers, I remember the last time I did it and I got chewed down from the original 15$ offer down to 5$.
They said I could have the other 10$ if I completed a list of features which was not apart of the original agreement. lol only 15 dollars!!!

Anyways thank you for having a look into DBD and giving your insight into the format.
I don't have any career in computers, I just do it as a hobby. So of course it is a great honor to be here on xentax and learn from you and all the other great members.

PS. I couldnt extract files from tekken5's file archive, so I used PCSX2 to make a save state. then wrote a BMS to scan and dump the models and tm2 textures

essentially the tekken5 models are the exact same format, however its like the addresses in the files are overwritten, probably cause I took them from ram.

BMS for grabbing crap from save state (thanks to chrrox for helping)

Code: Select all

#Tekken5 

get FSIZE asize
set COUNT_G long 1
set COUNT_T long 1
set NAME string ""
SavePos POS 0
Do
	get DATA long 0
	If DATA == 0x00745865
		goto 0x0C 0 SEEK_CUR
		get DATA long 0
		If DATA == 0x58444947
			goto -0x44 0 SEEK_CUR
			SavePos OFFSET 0
			get SIZE long
			goto OFFSET 0 SEEK_SET
			goto SIZE 0 SEEK_CUR
			string NAME p= "%08d" COUNT_T
			string NAME += ".tm2"
			math COUNT_T += 1
			set MEMORY_FILE binary "\x54\x49\x4D\x32\x04\x00\x01\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00"
			append
				log MEMORY_FILE OFFSET SIZE 0
			append
			get SIZE asize MEMORY_FILE
			log NAME 0 SIZE MEMORY_FILE
		endif
	elif DATA == 0x5044554E
		goto 0x04 0 SEEK_CUR
		get DATA byte 0
		if DATA == 0x03
			goto 0x05 0 SEEK_CUR
			get DATA short 0
			if DATA == 0x00
				goto -0x0C 0 SEEK_CUR
				get SIZE long 0
				goto -0x08 0 SEEK_CUR
				SavePos OFFSET 0
				goto SIZE 0 SEEK_CUR
				string NAME p= "%08d" COUNT_G
				string NAME += ".nud"
				math COUNT_G += 1
				log NAME OFFSET SIZE 0
			else
				goto -0x02 0 SEEK_CUR
			endif
		else
			goto -0x05 0 SEEK_CUR
		endif
	Endif
	SavePos POS 0
While POS < FSIZE
IvoryCutter
beginner

Post by IvoryCutter »

Now now guys, calm down. Before talking about banning people maybe take into consideration that not every person on the Internet is a cheap lying bastard.
The only reason Mr mariokart hasn't been compensated YET is that I didn't expect anyone to jump on board and look into this so quickly and efficiently. I told him in several mails that I get paid on the 5th and that's when he'll get the compensation. I also suggested he'd keep his scripts and not release them until then. Again, I just didn't expect anyone to reply on this topic so quickly as it has been sitting here for a while. I'm glad he did, though, and I had the impression he does not mind waiting a couple of days to have the payment transferred to his PayPal account.

I don't care if noesis could have easily done the same trick or any of the things the scripts by chroxx and mariokart do, as I wouldn't have known how to get it to work that way. I asked for help, I offered a fair compensation, and mariokart delivered so brilliantly (I've tried both scripts and they work fantastic) he deserves every bit of those 500$ and then some. Unfortunately 500 is as much as I can offer right now, otherwise I would happily give him more, as I value other people's time and effort just as high as I value my own.
Sad to see you guys jump to conclusions, especially after I feel like my honest intentions were made pretty clear in the PM's I sent mariokart.
But I guess it was my fault for putting up the offer without having the funds yet. In that case I apologize to mariokart (again) for having to wait until the 5th of next month.

edit:
MrAdults wrote:I'd suspect he's a terrible liar, then. I'm tempted to just start banning people who broadcast financial offers. Even the ones that come through tend to end up being pieces of crap in one way or another.
Holy..., only just read that now. Wow! How rude of you!
Well, even though I don't have to prove anything to you I'll be very happy to prove you wrong.
My sincerest apologies if offering a financial compensation was against the rules, but I would never ask a stranger to do anything like this for free. But if it's against the rules I understand and I will have to think of a different way to approach people and still be able to pay them for their effort.
No need for unfounded accusations and name calling, though.

On a more cheerful note, I'm so glad you guys are looking into Tekken 5!
mariokart64n
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by mariokart64n »

Personally for me, I put faith in the honor system.

I gave you the tools and I trust that you will repay the favor in kind :)

Of course im not calling foul here but you have to understand mr adults critisms and support for programers in such situations.

Anyways ... The script i sent you supports death by degrees and tekken5. It's wriitten in the scripts change log
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Yeah, people are ridiculous about things like that these days. Thanking someone for their time by negotiating petty amounts is more offensive than useful. This isn't the god damn App Store. Anyway, thanks for the script, hopefully I can get back to this on the weekend.

As for my rudeness... you obviously don't have much experience with the human race. People are usually shitwads when they're operating (pseudo) anonymously. Congratulations if you're a beacon of hope, but I wouldn't put money on it, nor would it make the next guy to come along any less likely to be a liar. Quite the contrary, in fact.
IvoryCutter
beginner

Post by IvoryCutter »

If you feel like that attitude makes life easier for you, go for it. Maybe I just run in kinder circles.:-) But I feel it's pretty obvious that a person looking to compensate any coding job with a pathetic 15$ does neither value nor respect other people's time. Should be fairly easy to avoid such people.

Anyway, what a welcome surprise your scripts will work with Tekken 5 as well! I've been sorting and naming models in my spare time the past couple of days and didn't even check the change log.
The scripts run flawlessly and finally handling these models in 3DSM is not a pain anymore. Can't wait to work with the textures.

Let me thank you for your great youtube video guide. I've already downloaded and saved it for future reference. I'm also quite the fan of your dulcet tones Hahah Great voice!

Also very much looking forward to the noesis implementation. Will make things that much more easy, and I love using noesis. So happy how this turned out, I honestly didn't expect anything and I feel like I got everything haha :-)

Please keep us posted about the noesis implementation, mrAdults
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Life, no. Internet forums where demented monsters with severe Asperger's go to embrace their lack of humanity, yes. Oh yes.

I'll probably get around to doing a build on the weekend, unless a contract thing comes up.
IvoryCutter
beginner

Post by IvoryCutter »

Haha, OK, you've got a point there!
MrAdults wrote: I'll probably get around to doing a build on the weekend, unless a contract thing comes up.
Very much looking forward to it!
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Hey mario, did you find the mirrored vertex flag? Looking at one of the skeleton bits in one of those nina models, there are two draws referencing the same VIF segment, and I know one of them has to be the mirrored draw. I thought for sure it was bit 0x200 of the value 12 bytes into the draw structure, but apparently it isn't. That bit and the first bit of the structure are the only bits that change between those two draws, but they also change for geometry that doesn't seem like it should be mirrored. Did I miss a separate lookup table for mirrored geo or something? I figure either that or there's a pointer to the microcode that's gonna be run for the thing which is implicitly dictating whether the draw will be mirrored. That's the less appealing option, since it requires sifting through all the models to find the mirroring microcode variants.

Edit: Oh, and I noticed the texture is just the first 4 bytes of the draw struct, referencing it by global index. Dunno if you figured that out already or if it points you in the right direction for Tekken.
TGE
veteran

Post by TGE »

All this talk about vif commands urges me to ask a question.
I've been working on a vif style model format for ages (in maxscript) but the way weighted vertices are stored (overlapping several masked vertex arrays) drives me crazy.
So I might just want to learn noesis for this but before I do, what kind of output does the noesis' vif unpack give you?