Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Far Cry 4 new interleaved format?

Get help on any and all audio formats, or chip in and help others!
Vosvoy
veteran

Far Cry 4 new interleaved format?

Post by Vosvoy »

Hi mates,

Step 1:

I was checking Far Cry 4 sounds when I figured that some .spk archives are not compatible with Zench's DecUbiSndGUI 0.81.
Here's the file "00074eb9.spk" in ".../fcc_main_unpacked/soundbinary" main folder.

Step 2:

So I tried to extract these with its little brother DecUbiSnd 0.80 (DOS version) with that command:

Code: Select all

for %%i in (*.spk) do "%CD%\DecUbiSnd.exe" %%i -D --input-type ubi_raw -o %%~ni.spk3
ren *spk3 *.wav
del *spk
Here's the result in Audacity:

The sound is very noisy and glitchy.

By the way, other command options (ubi_iv9, raw, ogg, etc...) doesn't work on this kind of archive.

Step 3:

So I tried with another archive ("00448bc8.spk") and look what happened:

In DecUbiSndGUI 0.81, same result as above. No layers or sounds detected.

By DecUbiSnd 0.80 (DOS version) with the same batch command:

Note: Clear sounds but with very strong low filter (basses). Each sounds are split by a strong "click". So, that's not good.

So, I don't know if Zench is still around but those archives are very tricky. Is there someone that can help me out?

Thanks in advance.

REMINDER: Each of those archives were extracted with "ubi_raw" batch command option by "DecUbiSnd 0.80.exe"

Files are too big to upload them on the forum. Contact me if you need any info.
Vosvoy
Zench
VIP member
VIP member

Re: Far Cry 4 new interleaved format?

Post by Zench »

Hi Vosvoy,

From a quick glance at the files, looks like you found a new variant. Some of them even crash DecUbiSndGui (uh-oh). I'm not around these parts much any more so I can't say when or if I get around to looking at it.

- Zench
And I said, "The well has finally run dry." So then that will be my battle cry.
Vosvoy
veteran

Post by Vosvoy »

Hi Zench,

It's okay. It's just cool that you're aware of that new type of .spk archive (sufficient for me). But I think this variant will be commonly encountered in future Ubisoft games using this sound archive. So, I have confidence that's not the last time you've heard about this problem (by someone else at least).

Thank you for taking time to look at it though.

Cordialy.
Vosvoy
Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper »

Vosvoy wrote:Hi Zench,

It's okay. It's just cool that you're aware of that new type of .spk archive (sufficient for me). But I think this variant will be commonly encountered in future Ubisoft games using this sound archive. So, I have confidence that's not the last time you've heard about this problem (by someone else at least).

Thank you for taking time to look at it though.

Cordialy.
I'm pretty sure this variant was in blood dragon. I found a lot of times the audio files would be from 4-12mb, but still turn up nothing when scanned. Just trying to help if at all, I know Zench is free to do what he wants, and I'm thankful he supported his tool to this point.