Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Telltale and Gametap - extract to translate

Need help translating games in other languages? Have your language problems solved here.
merlinsvk
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Telltale and Gametap - extract to translate

Post by merlinsvk »

Place changed (.font, .landb, etc) files in "archives" folder.
Taner038
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Taner038 »

merlinsvk wrote:Place changed (.font, .landb, etc) files in "archives" folder.
I don't understand. giving examples ?
goldenboy78
n00b

Post by goldenboy78 »

Hi everyone, I'm trying to use a d3dtx/dds file from german version of Sam&Max 301 to use it for english version of the game for a few days now without success. . I know the game is obsolete, but I hope anyone experienced can help anyway.

When I extract .d3dtx from .ttarch archive of english version from S&M, ttarchext from Luigi A. shows me that the ttarch archive is V 8, is encrypted and compressed.
The other .d3dtx from german .ttarch archive of the game shows V 9 when I extract the .d3dtx file with ttarchext.

The .d3dtx file of english version is 257kb and the german .d3dtx file is 342kb. If I replace english .d3dtx file with german .d3dtx, it only shows me a black boundary texture instead of the "new game"-texture in the game options.

I opened both versions of .d3dtx files with hexeditor. The first bytes of english version of .d3dtx starts with "ERTM", but german not. The header of german .d3dtx is a bit different..

I've read the whole topic here over and over again, but I can't inject the german .d3dtx file into the english version of the game and having the desired success. Instead of the "New Game"-texture in game Options in the title screen, the texture is shown always filled in black when I replace english .d3dtx with german .d3dtx.

Maybe it's because the .ttarch archive from english version was built vith -V 8, and .ttarch archive from german version was built with -V 9 ? I don't know.. I could really need some help..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by goldenboy78 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
quckly
beginner

Post by quckly »

goldenboy78,
Have you tried to put .d3dtx in a Pack in game folder?
goldenboy78
n00b

Post by goldenboy78 »

Yeah I tried to repack it back to ttarch, and put the ttarch archive back in pack folder.
I tried with ttarchext -b -V 8 33 c:\1_output.ttarch c:\1_input_folder and with ttarchext -b -V 9 33 c:\1_output.ttarch c:\1_input_folder

But as far as I know, there's no need to pack .d3dtx back to ttarch.
It's just enough to put .d3dtx file back to Pack folder without packing it back to ttarch.

EDIT:
Problem solved. I substituted original .dds with edited .dds and it appears correctly now in the title screen of the game.
Tomas2886Cz
ultra-n00b

Post by Tomas2886Cz »

Any idea if it's somehow possible to extract the .obb archives from Android versions of Telltale's games? I'd like to try and make our translations compatible with those.
ricky12
ultra-n00b

Post by ricky12 »

how do i extract d3dtx files? its not work
ricky12
ultra-n00b

Post by ricky12 »

nvm i think i figured it out
ricky12
ultra-n00b

Post by ricky12 »

Taner038 wrote:
merlinsvk wrote:Place changed (.font, .landb, etc) files in "archives" folder.
I don't understand. giving examples ?
translate landb filesa and put those files in your game folder thats it
Ssencall
ultra-n00b

Post by Ssencall »

Greetings, I'm trying to figure out how the game actually refers to the files it uses, especially *.chore files, each of which contains a segment of a whole chapter, to let translators know which line goes first and which one follows more clearly. (just going through all the line presented without contexts could be a pain in the ass, you know.)

Through trying times I somehow managed to find out these relations between some of of the game files and the hex code that the game uses to locate them, but that's all I've got. It seems to be a kind of hash algorithm to shorten the file names (for the purpose of efficiency, perhaps,) but reversing them is above my ability and that's where I need your help.

Code: Select all

previouslyon_episode4_cs_Enter_1.chore   1D 85 33 99 60 0E 9E B5
previouslyon_episode4_cs_Enter_2.chore   9A 76 23 2F 2D 5E 3B BF
previouslyon_episode4_cs_Enter_3.chore   96 35 75 DA B0 CE F7 78
env_twinsEncampment_cs_Enter_2.chore     8A 9A AA 47 79 75 6C 37
note: All the Telltale Games product recently released seems to use the same hash code, at least The Wolf among Us, The Walking Dead, Tales from the Borderlands, and Game of Thrones.

It would be really appreciated if you could suggest what kind of algorithm it is using.
HieiTF76
ultra-n00b

Post by HieiTF76 »

Okashu wrote:Hi, can anyone tell me how to use ttg tools with dlogs from sam & max season 3?

Here's what I do
1. paste original dlog in "Input" folder
2. Decrypt
3. Translate txt file
4. Put translated txt in "Input" folder
5. Encrypt
6. Paste translated .dlog in "Pack" folder

Unfortunatelly, when i test it, texts are still in english. What did I do wrong?
(strangely, I managed ui_mainmenu.dlog to work, but i dont know how)

EDIT: nevermind. I was editing wrong dlog. But i have another question. What's the font used in game? ttarch has 20 font files, but it containts all fonts used in all seasons
Damn pretty old message, but well...

Hello. I'm actually trying to extract Sam & Max Season 3 french subs from the DVD version, to make them compatible with the Steam version I own.

I managed to did it for Season 2, with some little modifications to the files (minus the accentued letters, as Steam version doesn't seem to support them, so I replaced them with non-accentued equivalents. What is weird is the accentued letters works in the menu but not in the in-game subtitles :D), noticed some headers from the langdb files of the Steam version had to be modified to work, but Season 2 use .langdb files when Season 3 use .dlog files (they are a langdb file, and some landb files on the DVD version, but they seem unused according to the contents of the script). I didn't even bothered to recompile the season 2 langdb files as the game handle them properly directly as langdb files.

I tried what the message I quoted says, the .dlog (env_skunkapeflagshipbridge.dlog) to .txt (env_skunkapeflagshipbridge.txt) conversion is working fine (I choose "other" in TTG Tools as other names in the list are for Season 2) then I modify a few words on the .txt file to be able to check in-game if it worked, but when I click on Encrypt to recreate the dlog file from the txt file, the dlog file is not recreated (I did put the edited .txt file in the "Input" folder) and there are no messages in TTG window (a message is displayed when I decrypt sucessfully the dlog file).

I think I have the last TTG tools version (0.6.2, from 2011, seems old but don't think there's a new version?) so is there something I'm doing wrong? Is another tool needed to recreate the dlog file?

I saw that the DVD version of the season 3 use .landb files for the french translation, but this is not really a problem, as the contents seems to use the same format from what I saw. So I was planning to copy-paste the contexts of the french .landb files (replacing the accentued letters with non-accentues one with a find/replace in a text editor, as I did for the season 2) in the english dlog files, which is why I would need to be able to recreate them from the .txt source file, and then recompile them in a _0.ttarch file.

Edit : It seems recompiling the files in a ttarch archive is not necessary. I found a russian patch, I extracted the dlog files, put them in the game directory and the translation was still working.

Thanks a lot.

Edit 2 : I found the problem. I was deleting the dlog file from the input folder before creating the new one and it seems it was the problem. After reading a lot of pages from this forum, I found a message when someone was talking about leaving the original dlog file in the input folder and then it worked.

Also noticed that Season 3 on Steam already support accentued characters, maybe because the Season 3 use lower-case letters.

Edit 3 : Seems the accentued letters doesn't work in some "menus" (like in Sam's Notebook for example) but it's not a big problem, I'll edit those files and remove the accentued letters :)

Edit 4 : Noticed something weird. Converted the french dvd .landb to .txt files. Converted the english steam .dlog to .txt files. Noticed the contents of the files was using the same template (except two ui_files that I had to modify manually) so I put the french .txt files along with the english steam .dlog in the input directory and rebuilt the .dlog. Those .dlog work fine and the game is now subtitled in french.

Did the same for the episode 2, but seems the files crash the game, so except if the template if different, it seems weird. I'll have to check each template manually, hoping it can be fixed.

Edit 5 : I confirm there is a problem but I don't know which one. I converted "env_boilerroom.dlog" to "env_boilerroom.txt" (steam english version) which contains the first subtitles of the game. I only modified one word in the .txt file, then rebuilt the "env_boilerroom.dlog" file. When I put it in the game directory, th game boot, and where the subtitles should be display, the game crash with an error. Maybe the episode 2 use another encryption, which TTG Tools can't handle?

I also tried to directly editing the original "env_boilerroom.dlog" file with an hexadecimal editor, replacing the ASCII string "city" with "TEST" and the game also crash. What is weird is that if I put the untouched "env_boilerroom.dlog", extracted from the Steam version in the game directory, the game also creash, which would make me think the problem wasn't my french modifications but rather how the game handle the file, so maybe creating a ttarch file will work, I will try that.

Edit 6 : Creating a ttarch file changed nothing, really weird.
HieiTF76
ultra-n00b

Post by HieiTF76 »

Still more weird, the subtitles replacement works fine on episode 3/4/5 of the season 3 xD (except one little menu file I had to tweak because the order of the texts wasn't the same).

I'll still take a little while to try to understand how the episode 2 works and if I don't find the problem, I'll use Xdelta to make patch from each file, to transform the Steam DVD into the DVD version, not the best way in my opinion but better than nothing if I don't find another method
Melkor
ultra-n00b

Post by Melkor »

Hello there! 8)

I was looking in the forum but couldn't find any post about how to change fonts of telltale games specifically TWOU.
My language is from right to left and it doesn't use any words from English alphabet so I have to change all the letters.

I have found some files with .font extension but I don't know what to do with them, from what I have gathered if I want to change the font it has something to do with .dds files, where I can find them and how I can edit .font/.dds files to solve my problem?

it would be nice if you lead me to a tutorial or something or just give me some clues about the process.

Thanks bros (and sis'z ? *_* )
Korkofilaki
ultra-n00b

Post by Korkofilaki »

Hello, I am currently trying to translate the GOT subtitles to Greek.
Can someone please tell me where to find the font files and how to edit them to support greek letters?
stapheen
beginner

Post by stapheen »

which fonts should I change to translate the game?
all I know is cheapsignage_50.font for subtitle
and which font are for menu ?
because when I'm chaning the menu language I get ??? Image