Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Beyond: Two Souls - Reversing | Porting (THAT'S ALL FOLKS?)

Programs that are related to this or that game.
jadentheman
n00b

Re: Beyond: Two Souls - Reversing | Porting (I CAN TALK!?!?

Post by jadentheman »

This project is great and all, but I do have a few questions. Why Beyond Two Souls? and would you also reverse (if its comes) the PS4 game? It would have x86 coding, higher res textures, and maybe other bells and whistles.

Also does this open the door to reversing other PS3 exclusive games to PC? I mean wwe can talk about that later, but I just found this tiopic and all this info is shown to me at once.
HugoPeters
veteran

Post by HugoPeters »

mirh wrote:
HugoPeters wrote: Because Beyond actually stores all audio as MP3! (split up into 1 second chunks)
Oh, that's ok then.
HugoPeters wrote: Of course I bought the game. I own two copies even. But hmm. The license does say "no unauthorized use on any system other than PS3"... but I guess that entails the main executable.
License may even say that but, again, if pcsx2 still is alive (and that's trying to emulate every game, not just one!) I don't even see the furthest possibility of legal problems.
Especially when I think you did this with a "common" open source game engine and C# :o

And besides, yes I actually did. It took me the whole afternoon to read (and thanks almost) every freaking message, but I'm absolutely thrilled about this.
Really, when I first played the game.. I started at 2pm.. and I was with zoey starring at thunders at about 2am. I did even feel Aiden floating above me for the entire following day.. :scaredy:

And this was on my PS3 which I don't really love (cmon, couches are for pussies with downscaled graphics).
On PC.. good god

EDIT: and I still cannot believe the game that I liked more than every other... it's exactly the object of your unique work...
C# is actually the best programming language of All Time. :twisted:
That aside, I must admit Beyond made me depressed for around 4 days.

I like consoles (including the PS3) because developers can easily optimize for it in comparison to PC (for example, Edge SDK).

Now the only thing we need is Depth of Field... Wait what's that? The Paradox 3D team is working on it??
jadentheman wrote:Why Beyond Two Souls?
Because I fucking love it!
jadentheman wrote:would you also reverse (if its comes) the PS4 game?
I'm definitely going to take a look at it once it comes out and it can be dumped.
jadentheman wrote:Also does this open the door to reversing other PS3 exclusive games to PC?
Other PS3 exclusive games developed by Quantic Dream: yes.
Most other companies do not store literally everything in the game's external data like Quantic Dream does. As soon as any important part is in the main executable it suddenly gets a million times more difficult as that would require assembly to be decompiled, which for example I can't do.
So... as long as this project doesn't inspire other people, probably no. I've gotten some "requests" to do the same with The Last Of Us as what I'm doing with Beyond, but there's a high chance that's already impossible. Let's just say I got lucky with Beyond.
jadentheman wrote:I just found this tiopic and all this info is shown to me at once.
Have fun reading/watching/listening! There is indeed a lot already!

"I'm going to throw my shit at you" —The Great Mighty Poo
_______________________>> check my portfolio I wish the [center] bbcode was turned on
_______________________>> or my twitter
jadentheman
n00b

Post by jadentheman »

I wonder also since it's your build, that if you get far enough you can add something like TressFX or PhysX?
mirh
n00b

Post by mirh »

jadentheman wrote:I wonder also since it's your build, that if you get far enough you can add something like TressFX or PhysX?
You mad?
The game is already using Havok.. no way physics engine could be changed
TressFX would require adjustments to models I think (in addition to shaders and engine things..)

It has already been used with unity but this project has OGRE... and porting code from radeon SDK would be yet another hassle (assuming it may even be vaguely possible)
HugoPeters
veteran

Post by HugoPeters »

mirh wrote:
jadentheman wrote:I wonder also since it's your build, that if you get far enough you can add something like TressFX or PhysX?
You mad?
The game is already using Havok.. no way physics engine could be changed
TressFX would require adjustments to models I think (in addition to shaders and engine things..)

It has already been used with unity but this project has OGRE... and porting code from radeon SDK would be yet another hassle (assuming it may even be vaguely possible)
I'm not using OGRE anymore but Paradox, which has BulletPhysics built-in. If I were to implement it, that's what I would probably use.

But, I've got an update coming up that everyone may or may not like.

Also, this is my 100th post, which I actually wanted to spend on something else... but kinda can't. XD
More soon, I guess?

_______________________>> check my portfolio I wish the [center] bbcode was turned on
WRS
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by WRS »

100th post or not, your progress this far is quite impressive 8)

now you've looked at most of the data formats and created a lua kernel are you aiming for features (textures, etc) or compatability (more lua hooks)?

also, you should absolutely create a blog - https://ghost.io/
Useful tool links:
mirh
n00b

Post by mirh »

WRS wrote:also, you should absolutely create a blog - https://ghost.io/
http://heap.djek.nl/
HugoPeters
veteran

Post by HugoPeters »

We all knew it had to happen some day!

:(
I was recently approached by the co-CEO of Quantic Dream. He told me that he is aware of this project and would like me to stop working on it. He and the rest were amused by it though!

:)
I was also contacted by the CTO of Quantic Dream. We are currently in talk about some things...

But yeah, the inevitable happened. I'm afraid I can't continue on the port / tools. Sorry everybody, it's been a blast. A big thanks to everybody who supported / helped me with the project :D
Even though the port might be legal, I want to keep everyone at Quantic Dream as allies, so I'm not going to be disobedient.

To be continued...?

WRS
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Beyond: Two Souls - Reversing | Porting (THAT'S ALL FOLK

Post by WRS »

thats too bad for us - but good for you for complying :) hopefully they offered you a job!

with an engine built around lua, i'd expect a pc port!
Useful tool links:
HugoPeters
veteran

Post by HugoPeters »

WRS wrote:hopefully they offered you a job!
Maybe... :angel:

jadentheman
n00b

Post by jadentheman »

Shame you can't finish, but also a possibility is open for an official PC release? May or may not happen though as Quantic Dream is a Sony 2nd Party and the rumored PS4 release is coming, but hey.

Well maybe someday someone will continue your work lol. Good luck for future endeavors
zubren
ultra-n00b

Post by zubren »

HugoPeters wrote:I was recently approached by the co-CEO of Quantic Dream. He told me that he is aware of this project and would like me to stop working on it. He and the rest were amused by it though!
It was bound to happen some day. No worries, you showed off a ton of cool stuff, not to mention skills.
HugoPeters wrote:I was also contacted by the CTO of Quantic Dream. We are currently in talk about some things...]
Best possible outcome IMO. Congrats :)
mirh
n00b

Post by mirh »

Good God. :(

My heart is bleeding....I would have sold my ass to see Jodie on PC one day..
I hope you may reach a deal...

Best regards. Respect.
Mirrorman95
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Mirrorman95 »

Perhaps now we can work on a model viewer for Omikron: The Nomad Soul. David Cage might not like any of us extracting naked Ellen Page, but I don't think Quantic Dream would mind us ripping the Cybernetic Ghost of David Bowie.
BBSFM and KH2FM+ saves are compatible with KH2.5. viewtopic.php?t=13424
d875j
advanced

Post by d875j »

Mirrorman95 wrote:Perhaps now we can work on a model viewer for Omikron: The Nomad Soul. David Cage might not like any of us extracting naked Ellen Page, but I don't think Quantic Dream would mind us ripping the Cybernetic Ghost of David Bowie.
Not to sure naked Ellen Page be great in GTA IV or some game.