Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Tips on income/financial support of the Game Research Forum

Read rules and news about the XeNTaX Game Discussion Forum
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Tips on income/financial support of the Game Research Forum

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Hi all,

As we were shut out from Google Adsense income today for false reasons, we are looking for new ways to keep up the Game Research Forum.

If any of the members have got some good legal ideas on how to proceed, like ads, a donation system or other sources we can try, do not hesitate and provide us with tips.

Best regards,
Mike
finale00
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Re: Tips on income/financial support of the Game Research Fo

Post by finale00 »

How about xentax t-shirts? Oh man I'm sure people would love to walk around with a xentax shirt.
I'm sure there's someone here with connections!
clauddiu
ultra-n00b

Post by clauddiu »

hey,
I will love to buy some coffee mugs with some opcodes on it or a code for a random archive compression in c++ :)
Anything related to this forum, you know what I mean.

Claudiu
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

That's actually a pretty good idea. I'd love a XeNTaX shirt. And a XeNTaX mousepad. And beer mugs.
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Also, I've used CafePress for custom shirt designs before. I was happy with the quality. Don't know how they compare to other services otherwise though.
Forsaken
ultra-n00b

Post by Forsaken »

Not to be ungrateful or anything, but what is your realistic cost of hosting this site? Were you running this site purely from ad revenue? My host is about $100 a year, and that doesn't seem like an exorbitant amount. I'm not a "regular" or anything so maybe I'm missing something. I only visit the site when I get an admin email that reminds me this site exists, but I don't want to see a resource like this go away either. Just curious.
SWTOR fan
veteran

Post by SWTOR fan »

Maybe you know this already, but with the Amazon Associates program, anytime someone comes from XeNTaX and then buys something from Amazon, XeNTaX would receive about 5% to 10% of the price from Amazon, without the customer having to pay extra.
I am sure that every visitor here buys something over Amazon, and just by following a special link before check-out they would be able to support XeNTaX. :)
See here for more information: https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Devilot »

I agree with amazon affiliates. although, do this for the .it and .co.uk domains as well, if buying from the US I have to pay additional customs fees, and can't possibly help.
taarna23
ultra-n00b

Post by taarna23 »

If you're looking for something to replace the ads, I've used a place called AdBrite in the past. You could check them out. Personally, I wouldn't go with CafePress. You only get 10% of your sale amount, no matter what you have the price set at. Just my 2 cents, though.
Dazz
beginner

Post by Dazz »

I use a few advertisers - Intergi, who have a minimum user requirement, and CPMstar who do an alright job - better than Google did when I used them.
If you need to reduce costs, I have my own dedicated hosting server which I could offer to you at a heavily reduced rate.

While I've had a falling out MrAdults, it doesn't mean anything about this, don't worry.

I'd be more than happy to help you guys out.
Snowmeow
beginner

Post by Snowmeow »

How about open a Blogspot and use the Blogspot ads to earn money?
Per example, relevant topics being posted at Xentax Blogspot and the users doing their part, visiting and commenting the blog so many times be possible. :D
P@S@f
ultra-n00b

Post by P@S@f »

It's always ideal for projects like this to have it's own server. Or some free server in big companies where there are thousands of servers with tons of free resources (maybe someone knew admins).
Or just find out sites with same subjects and collaborate with them to kept up. Then costs will be divided so many as many sites will include collaboration.
Kenny
ultra-n00b

Post by Kenny »

Man I remember when they blocked my Adsense account for my website because someone was spamming it. I've tried other alternatives such as Adbrite and they're nowhere as good as Adsense. In the end I just chosen to accept donations which a lot of people kindly did.

I'd be happy to donate to this website as I've always found it of great help.
SFera
ultra-n00b

Post by SFera »

how about https://flattr.com and paypal.. donations
finale00
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by finale00 »

Snowmeow wrote:How about open a Blogspot and use the Blogspot ads to earn money?
Per example, relevant topics being posted at Xentax Blogspot and the users doing their part, visiting and commenting the blog so many times be possible. :D
Blogspot is operated by google so would they make the connection and quickly block the blog? lol