Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Valkyria Chronicles (PS3, PC)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Sectus
veteran

Re: Valkyria Chronicles (PS3, PC)

Post by Sectus »

I made a modding tool for extracting and replacing textures in Valkyria Chronicles (made for PC version, but is probably compatible with PS3 files too).

Download: http://www.tzarsectus.com/tools/VCtool.rar
Download source: http://www.tzarsectus.com/tools/source/VCtool.rar

Usage:
- Drag'n'drop files onto the extract.bat and replace.bat batch files in Windows explorer.
OR
- Use it in command prompt (ie, "vctool -x valcA02aD_h.mlx" to extract, "vctool -r valcA02aD_h.mlx" to replace)
windfury
beginner

Post by windfury »

Awesome! You finally posted it here.
I actually got it from your original post and made some fun combinations (Alicia - Valkyria form in town clothes). :D
Thanks!
TheSlider
ultra-n00b

Post by TheSlider »

It seems like it would be possible to make hi-res textures and mods for this game quite easily as it accepts about any dds you throw at it.
Tried replacing the textures of the _m version of some objets/characters with _h (1024 instead of 512). Works nicely.

Could it be possible to have the entire package extracted/repacked instead of only the textures ? I'm interested in making model swaps and possibly other edits if they're not binary/compressed files like changing/removing the colision meshes in some maps to alow a bit more exploration... : )

I'm trying to understand the file naming used in the "ressource/mx/" folder. I've been looking into the files prefixed with "val".
For those interested, tanks start with the prefix "val_vc" with a unique number that identifies the vehicle and a code for color variation while all pc and npc files seem to start with "valc" then have some sort of global ID. Welkin is "A01", Alicia is "A02" and so on. Each character ID comes in a few costumes "aA", "bB", "dB" and so on. I'm not sure if the lowercase leter and uppercase have a diferent meaning though. The files that have "_h" are the ones used for cutescenes (briefing, popups and special animations where you get a close-up) and "_m" is the file used during actual gameplay. The "_m" version also contains a low res texture for the LOD (usualy it's 128*128) that uses another uv map. If you're looking to make character texture edits or grab their 3D models, these are the ones you need to open. The others seem to be animation.
Weapons start with "valw" (w for weapon i presume ?) following by their category like "FT" for flame thrower, "GR" for grenades and so on. Weapons mlx files can be swaped around safely as long as it's the same category (replacing the level 1 grenade model with the lvl 5 for example) but it would be better to later make our own 3D models if importing becomes possible.
I haven't tried swaping characters (making an army of Welkin for example) but it might be possible, at least, if you use characters from the same category (scouts, snipers ...). It depends where the animations are stored but then again, be carefull with the "_h" and "_m" diferences and don't use character variations that aren't supposed to be on the battlefield. It might crash the game.
adol365
advanced

Post by adol365 »

Are there anyone who can demux *.SFD video files corrently? I tried some PS2 SFD programs but all of them can not convert or demux Valkyria chronicles *.SFD files correctly.
Darko
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by Darko »

adol365 wrote:Are there anyone who can demux *.SFD video files corrently? I tried some PS2 SFD programs but all of them can not convert or demux Valkyria chronicles *.SFD files correctly.
Read this:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=11092

I've done it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxLu-UUaKvI

That's a sfd video I reencoded from DOA4.
sanyabane
n00b

Post by sanyabane »

Is there any way to export model among with animations? Or just animations and them import them to model?
Xr79
veteran

Post by Xr79 »

Okay, so I can confirm that import script does work for the models of the PC version of the game, how ever the MXE files for the maps will not open, a shame cause the map data is beautiful. Wait, okay I need to edit this, the script works perfectly, you need to move the MXE and MLX files into the MX folder in data for it to work.
RoyalBlue
ultra-n00b

Post by RoyalBlue »

Hey so I had all the models from pretty much the entire game ripped and pulled out. Then my ex fried my HD while I was waiting. Now I have an industrial 3d Printer with no models ready for it =(. Can somebody teach someone who's had all their devices fried and been out of the game awhile step by step how to get blender to pull out the models from the PC version please? Would be much appreciated.
Portugalotaku
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Portugalotaku »

Hey sorry for the bump, but does anyone know how to export weights? Although the models come with skeletons, the rig is absent.
Zaczac121
beginner

Post by Zaczac121 »

Does anyone know where the truck models are stored? I've searched Resource/mx and I cannot find it... I just want to find that three-wheeled truck and that bakery truck but I just cannot find them (I found the baker version of Alicia tho :L ) but anyway if anyone can help I would be much obliged.
Zaczac121
beginner

Post by Zaczac121 »

Gonna bump this since I still need to know where those trucks are...

The trucks I'm looking for are in the screenshot provided (I cannot seem to load Vmap_Sets so I cannot seem to get them that way)
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gomtuu
beginner

Post by gomtuu »

Hi Zaczac121,

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the Alicia's Bakery logo in the game's texture files. It's possible I missed it somehow, but another bad sign is that the epilogue sequence in which her bakery appears is a pre-rendered video (EV1901.PAM). So the model wouldn't have to be included with the game.

The prologue sequence with the three-wheeled truck, where Alicia first meets Welkin, is also pre-rendered (EV0002.PAM). I don't remember ever seeing the truck model itself, but it's been a while since I spent much time on the Blender importer.

Do you know of an instance where the three-wheeled truck appears as a 3D object in the game? I can't tell what the context of your screenshot is.
Zaczac121
beginner

Post by Zaczac121 »

Thank you for replying, the truck appears as a 3d model during the chapter of retaking Bruhl in the mid game thats where the screenshot is from
gomtuu
beginner

Post by gomtuu »

Found the truck model! If you open VMAP_SET_015_00.MXE and zoom way out, you should see it.

If you can't open the VMAP_SET files, that's just because I still haven't made import_valkyria aware of the Steam file layout. It expects all the files to be in a single folder together instead of organized into subfolders. But you can just copy the following files into a folder, then open the MXE file.

VMAP_SET_015_00.MMF (from data/mx)
VMAP_SET_015_00.MMR (from data/resource/mx)
VMAP_SET_015_00.MXE (from data/resource/mx)
VMAP_SET_015_00_MERGE.HTR (from data/resource/mx)
VMAP_SET_015_00_MERGE.HTX (from data/resource/mx)

You might also need to rename the files so they're upper-case.
Zaczac121
beginner

Post by Zaczac121 »

Thank you so much! This has helped big time, also I hope the plugin will support the PC paths soon since that would be amazing