Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Valkyria Chronicles (PS3, PC)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
alon
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: Valkyria Chronicles (PS3)

Post by alon »

This link Dead, please reup
Last edited by alon on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gta1211
beginner

Post by gta1211 »

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.
sprayer
beginner

Post by sprayer »

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.
Chthonic
n00b

Post by Chthonic »

I was wondering since megaupload is having their problems can someone re-upload the scripts please?
gta1211
beginner

Post by gta1211 »

Shinobi
ultra-n00b

Post by Shinobi »

Hello guys, could anyone from this topic help me extract models from the PS2 game Shinobi? Here are some
HMDL and HTS samples from the game.

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-cf640984.html
Adalarder
ultra-n00b

Post by Adalarder »

Has anyone been able to decipher DATA.CVM?
chrrox

Post by chrrox »

here is the quickbms script to extract files with names.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windfury
beginner

Post by windfury »

I thought your new post would be an update on the importer you made awhile back, with bones support that is.
Still, this is nice, thank you chrrox.
Adalarder
ultra-n00b

Post by Adalarder »

Thanks. Unpacked.
Does anyone know what formats, and scripts are responsible for the initial conditions of missions?
leonkennedy4011
n00b

Post by leonkennedy4011 »

Sorry to bump and ask, but does anyone have the 3ds max script from the OP?
windfury
beginner

Post by windfury »

I apologize for bumping this old thread. I'm still hoping that we can have bone support for this.
As much as possible, I'd really like to avoid rigging the models myself, I want them just the way as they are in the game.
There are some models which have parts that needs attaching, I'm assuming they're attached to the bones.
gomtuu
beginner

Post by gomtuu »

Hi windfury,

Funny you should ask! After not working on my Blender importer for a long time, I recently picked it back up. I got preliminary support for bones working on the same day you posted your last message. :)

This isn't finished, but I'll release what I have so far as version 0.4. Changes since version 0.3 include:
  • Ported to Blender 2.63+
  • Added preliminary support for bones.
  • Improved support for materials, including normal maps and transparency.
Notes:

If the model looks weird, try viewing it in game engine mode (press P to enter game engine mode and Esc to exit). Some things look better this way (eyelashes), some look worse (hair).

Blender doesn't seem to deal with the normal vectors very well, so you'll probably have to flip them for half of the objects.

Some textures don't work in Blender 2.66 or 2.66a because of a bug in its DDS texture support. I reported it and they fixed it, so it should work in the nightly version. I haven't tested that, though.

I'm not sure if VC's bones work differently from Blender's or if I'm just misinterpreting the bone data, but I had to use a hack to get the bones to move the right vertex groups. The consequence is that there are no terminal bones in fingers, feet, strands of hair, and so on. So if you want to pose these, you'll need to add a few new bones.

Some pieces of equipment that are mounted to bones aren't oriented correctly.

Have fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windfury
beginner

Post by windfury »

Hey gomtuu,

Lol, that's awesome! I actually messaged you back then, not sure if you received it though.
Still, this is really great news! I had been studying on how to do proper skinning/rigging since this was left inactive for such a long time.
I haven't tried this new version of yours yet, but I'm really looking forward to it! :)

EDIT: Wow! I was so looking forward to getting the equips attached correctly.
This looks very promising! You just made my day man! Thank you!
gomtuu
beginner

Post by gomtuu »

Hello again,

In my hmdl-import-0.4 announcement, I mentioned that I used a hack to get the bones to work properly. I'm going to elaborate on that here. This is partly a warning to anyone who plans on using the bones as imported by 0.4, and partly a request for help in case anyone can easily identify the problem.

This is how bones work without the hack that I mentioned:

(I also posted about this at blenderartists.org, and it'll help to refer to those screenshots.) The Deform.83 bone's head/root is the shoulder joint, and its tail/tip is in the elbow joint. When I move the Deform.83 bone, the forearm, hand, and finger vertices move with it, but the upper arm vertices don't. The same thing happens all down the length of the arm: Moving the Deform.84 bone moves the hand and fingers but not the forearm, etc. One way of looking at it is that each vertex group seems to be associated with the parent of the bone it should be associated with.

At first, I thought this might mean I should just change the way the bones are created so that Deform.83 is instead called Deform.82, and so on. But there are two problems with this: First, what happens when a bone has more than one child, like when the wrist joint splits into 5 fingers? Which of the finger bones gets the Deform.84 name? What are the other ones called? And second, there doesn't seem to be enough data in the file for this. Imagine what would have to happen with the fingertips. If one of the old fingertip bones was called Deform.89 and ended at the first knuckle, there would have to be a new bone called Deform.89 that extended from that knuckle to the actual tip of the finger. But I can't find data that specifies the position of that new bone's tip.

There is data that specifies the rotation of that knuckle joint, though. If an object or bone were parented to the knuckle joint, then it would inherit that rotation. In fact, this is how the bits of armor are positioned and rotated. (So that's a third problem. The armor, for the most part, is positioned correctly right now. If we go and add an extra bone at the end of those anchor bones, it's going to push the pieces of armor away from the body.)

It's almost as if each "bone" specified in the model file is actually a joint. If I could create a tree of empties and use that instead of an armature, then there would be a shoulder empty called Deform.82, and when you rotated that empty, the arm mesh would move properly. The last joint in a finger (Deform.89 in the above example) would still be positioned at the first knuckle, but rotating that empty would bend the finger mesh at that knuckle.

But blender doesn't let you associate vertex groups with empties as far as I know, so I applied a hack instead: When I'm assigning the vertex groups to the meshes, I simply use the bone ID of the first child of the bone that I'm actually supposed to use. So the upper arm vertices are assigned to Deform.83 instead of Deform.82, and so on. The fingertip bones don't have children, though, so the vertices in the last finger segment have to be put into the same vertex group as the second-to-last finger segment, and the fingertips can't be articulated separately from the rest of the finger.

hmdl-import 0.4 incorporates this hack, which makes the bones mostly work properly, except for the fact that all the vertex groups at the tips of the hair, feet, and fingers are essentially lost because they've been merged with the next vertex group up the chain.

I don't know if this makes any sense or not, but I hope so. Anyway, if it's not clear, don't worry too much about it. I was just kind of hoping there might be an easy fix that someone with more rigging experience would instantly recognize. There might not be any such fix, or I might just be reading the bone data incorrectly.

Thanks,
--
gomtuu