Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Kingdom Hearts 2 Map files

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Mirrorman95
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Kingdom Hearts 2 Map files

Post by Mirrorman95 »

I'm pretty sure Yaz0r didn't add map support until at least v0.4, so I'll have to check my old files. It could take a while, no promises I'll even find it, and if I do the Moderators could very well remove the links again. I'm not exactly sure how the animations worked, but I believe that many of the maps are pre-packed with animation files.
BBSFM and KH2FM+ saves are compatible with KH2.5. viewtopic.php?t=13424
ichibankameha
n00b

Post by ichibankameha »

I sure do appreciate it!
Alternatively I used pcsx2 and emu haste to explore the maps, however the dark margin freezes and I have not found a way to implement a free camera within pcsx2/kh2fm(JP).

Thanks again.
Mirrorman95
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Mirrorman95 »

In the meantime, you can free-roam the KH2 map files in their entirety with http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/pcsx2lair/expack1h.7z . The password is ][
ichibankameha
n00b

Post by ichibankameha »

Thanks so much, that is the one I have been using along with noesis.

I know nothing of the python language or blender, but could the export option provide the map animations in the .py script? I will have to check it out.
Thanks again, I sure do appreciate it!
ichibankameha
n00b

Post by ichibankameha »

Hey guys, I have been doing a lot of research and it is my goal to make a better map viewer. I am absolutely new to 3d rendering and programing(much less ps2 reverse engineering and emulation), but this is something I want to look into. It will take a while with my studying CNC machining, luckily CNC drafting software and 3D rendering are kinda similar.
Is any how is anybody interested in this project?

And how about the HD remix's, are the meshes and textures upgraded, or did they just increase the resolution for the PS3?

If I need to I will make a standalone model to run in a generic/free game engine for the models I want.

What are your favorite models for those interested. I personally want Destiny Islands and the Dark Margin. I would like to look into the Twilight Town tower and Memories Skyscraper.
Mirrorman95
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Mirrorman95 »

In the HD remixes, usually what happened is that the map models and textures were generally left as-is, but the character and enemy models all got retextured in HD. Some of the main characters and some of the Princesses of Heart got remodeled too, because a lot of those models were remade in HD for Birth by Sleep and KH3D.
Birth by Sleep HD is a different story. Not only were the textures upgraded, and all of the main character models, but the keyblade models were as well. They barely had any depth on the PSP version, so to look good in HD, all the keyblades had to be remodeled.
KH1, KH1HD, KH2, and BBS all have Noesis plugins or viewers for their models. There currently are no plugins or viewers for re:CoM, BBSHD, KH2HD, or KH3DHD. mysis made a Noesis plugin for BBSHD, but never released it, and Revelation was working on updating and releasing the source to many of his KH plugins, but last I heard from either of them was over a year ago.
In terms of map viewers, several have been released, but all only for KH2.
ichibankameha
n00b

Post by ichibankameha »

That is a lot of help, I am Looking at the source code provided by kkdf2's map viewer and slowly learning. I am thankful much of this work has already been done.
I may either make a plugin for Noesis, or I will more likely make a stand alone viewer using slimdx and visual studio, I think that is what kkdf2 did.

I have only looked at PS2 era square game disks, I have not checked out the PS3 disk data of 1.5 or 2.5.
This is an ambitious project and I know I am in over my head, I thank you for the tips and encouragement.

After 2.8 comes out I would like to see if I can find the way finder model and machine a realistic replica out of metal. Would that pertain to this community?
zimfan508
ultra-n00b

Post by zimfan508 »

Hey guys, I figured you MIGHT have an answer to this, but for some reason on Windows 10 the map viewer bugs out hardcore. When I go to rotate the camera within the map it freaks out and it only goes up and down super fast. I used it for when I build the maps within MC, but it has become hard to use.

Any way I can stop it from doing so?
Mirrorman95
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Mirrorman95 »

That depends which map viewer you're using. I assume you mean the one in kkdf2's expack1h, but I've run it on my Windows 10 and it handles just fine. But if that doesn't work for you, it has a function to export the maps into .blend files for viewing in Blender. If that still doesn't work, Revelation's latest KH2 plugin for Noesis also can view KH2 map files, and Noesis can export any model you can view in it to a variety of other formats.
zimfan508
ultra-n00b

Post by zimfan508 »

Mirrorman95 wrote:That depends which map viewer you're using. I assume you mean the one in kkdf2's expack1h, but I've run it on my Windows 10 and it handles just fine. But if that doesn't work for you, it has a function to export the maps into .blend files for viewing in Blender. If that still doesn't work, Revelation's latest KH2 plugin for Noesis also can view KH2 map files, and Noesis can export any model you can view in it to a variety of other formats.

Awesome! I'll check this Noesis thing out. Where could I get the plugin?
Mirrorman95
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Mirrorman95 »

zimfan508 wrote:
Mirrorman95 wrote:That depends which map viewer you're using. I assume you mean the one in kkdf2's expack1h, but I've run it on my Windows 10 and it handles just fine. But if that doesn't work for you, it has a function to export the maps into .blend files for viewing in Blender. If that still doesn't work, Revelation's latest KH2 plugin for Noesis also can view KH2 map files, and Noesis can export any model you can view in it to a variety of other formats.
Awesome! I'll check this Noesis thing out. Where could I get the plugin?
I maintain a dropbox folder of the latest release of Noesis with the latest versions of all the plugins I could find. The Kingdom Hearts-related plugins are all here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8d4ydoefxp41 ... fMzra?dl=0
zimfan508
ultra-n00b

Post by zimfan508 »

Your suggestion definitely worked!
Also, is there map files available for kh2fm like how kh2 were?

I'd love to explore the fm rooms using the map viewer.
Mirrorman95
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Mirrorman95 »

zimfan508 wrote:Your suggestion definitely worked!
Also, is there map files available for kh2fm like how kh2 were?

I'd love to explore the fm rooms using the map viewer.
Yes, kh2fm's map files are just as explorable with the viewer as the base game's.
yaz0r
beginner

Post by yaz0r »

Wow, this thread still lives?
Larxian
ultra-n00b

Post by Larxian »

Hello, I just found out about this forum / thread and registered, and I wanted to ask, did anyone here manage to open the maps in Blender?
expack1h gives me a bunch of .py scripts when I export for blender, but it always ends up giving me coords errors like this:
Any idea about how to solve that issue?

Thank you!