Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Kingdom Hearts MDLX and Re:coded File Viewer (Request?)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
SoftIce
veteran

Re: Kingdom Hearts MDLX and Re:coded File Viewer (Request?)

Post by SoftIce »

Hi yall. Wanted to bump to say I've made lots of progress with Xion's low poly model. I have the unhooded model's verticies correctly placed now, so no more broken limbs or twisted torsos. But because the unhooded model has no UV data I've had to go and make them myself, which is taking a bit longer than expected. But, I have her entire robe done now, and her face and her neck, so all that's left is to make the UVs for her hair and her ears. Ears will be a piece of cake. Hair will take a bit longer. I've started on the front part, but it's messed up still so I need to fix it. lol

Here's some screenshots.

When I finish the UVs, I'll upload the model here for anyone who wants to fool around with it. It's not rigged or anything, but if you want to rig it that shouldn't be very hard considering how low poly it is. I also plan on making a custom high poly version of xion using Larx's robe (modified to xion's bodytype), plus kairi's face, and either kairi's kh hairstyle or aqua's hairstyle... or a modified version of both (i have to see which one fits xion's hair closer and modify that.)
philip92dk
advanced

Post by philip92dk »

wow awesome :eek: SoftIce wil you also upload the high poly version when it is finished? i will need it for my Kingdom Hearts remark as a boss :D
Zerox
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Zerox »

Ah it looks great so far. I'm excited to see the end result posted. Didn't she have more hair in front of her face/eyes?
SoftIce
veteran

Post by SoftIce »

Thanks for the feedback guys! Yep, I plan to upload the custom high poly version when I complete it (I haven't even started on it though.. lol.)

Her hair was messed up in the preview pics I posted. lol. The UV's weren't scaled or arranged so it was a WIP. Her hair is all fixed now, and she's pretty much done. But then I noticed a few of the faces on her robe sleeve had the UVs messed up... so now I'm off to fix that, and then I started wondering if I had the verts right on the sleeve.. so yeah. :mrgreen:

Here's a pic of what I have at the moment. Please excuse the bright robe and hair textures.. heh, I had to lighten them because it was too hard to see the detail otherwise. :? When I get everything set, I'll replace the edited textures with the originals.

But yay for Xion no longer looking like she stuck her head in a lawn mower. But now she looks like she's going gray prematurely from stress or something. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Also... is anyone interested in custom edits for some of the main KH2 characters? if anyone is I'll upload them here. I don't mean new fanmade ones... I just mean fooling around with trying to give Kairi or Sora or Riku or Namine different outfits or different hairstyles. Haven't done any yet, but I'm going to eventually.

.. Because I'm a nerd like that. Yeah. :P

Oh, any Maya people here know how to deal with transparency settings? I use png images, but the entire mesh part appears semi-transparent sometimes. Oddest thing. Also, what texture do you use? At the moment I'm using surface shaders because they aren't affected by shadows, but when I try to render them, the transparency goes away, even though it's transparent in the viewport. Woe is me.. lol
Zerox
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Zerox »

Ah yeah putting the textures brightened does help with black textures. It still looks quite improved from the last hair. "Yay for Xion not looking like she stuck her head in a lawn mower!" I totally agree. =P So your doing the UV's from scratch right? I must commend you on the work you've done so far imitating UV's exactly is a difficult process.
SoftIce
veteran

Post by SoftIce »

Yeah, thank God for the console viewer which displays the textures/model correctly. lol. and for the fact that xion's hooded model and larxene's model both have the uv's preserved. So I had a lot of references to go off of. Still was a pain generating them from scratch though, since maya's attempts at auto-generationg UVs almost always ends messed up for me. :oops:

I haven't played days yet, but I watched the cutscenes with xion in them. Now I'm all depressed because of her back story. Jeez, for a game with disney characters it can sure be depressing at times.
Tazuka
ultra-n00b

Post by Tazuka »

Hello !

I would like to extract 3D model of a NSBMD file WITH UV data and texture :[
I tested 3DVIA, HijackGL, Ogle, 3D Ripper DX
I can't extract with UV data :cry:

Someone knows a program which extract 3D model of NSBMD file with UV data ? :'(

Thanks you very much for your future answers and sorry if you are busy

PS: Sorry for my bad english, I'm french :roll:
Zerox
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Zerox »

SoftIce wrote:I haven't played days yet, but I watched the cutscenes with xion in them. Now I'm all depressed because of her back story. Jeez, for a game with disney characters it can sure be depressing at times.
:lol: Kingdom Hearts has a immersive well thought out storyline. There are good moments and bad. Heck 358/2 made me cry.
jaden
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by jaden »

great job softice
SoftIce
veteran

Post by SoftIce »

Thanks for the encouragement guys. :)

Oh lord, I was reading some threads over on the khinsider forum where people were discussing exactly what the nature of nobodies/sombodies/heartless is and all that. I must be dumb because some of it makes my brain want to melt. Some of the people there seriously know their stuff. I'm usually all 'hurrr lemme bash the bad guys with my giant key - oh yay triggered a cut scene finally.'. >_>

I'm also the biggest procrastinator ever. I've had the low poly model of Xion done for several days but then I went all ADD and forgot about her because I got obsessed with the high poly counterpart's hair of all things. yea..

I'll upload an obj, dae and fbx version of her here, along with the textures I used. I got from the texture resource. You'll probably have to reassign the textures though, since I apparently fail at being able to export an obj that knows where the textures are. Whoo...

I've gotten neurotic over high poly Xion's hair. I thought before it was just KH Kairi's hair flipped, but her front bangs are slightly different, her side bangs are different, her part line is not nearly as pronounced, and the back is different, and there's no freaking good quality video or shot of the back of her freaking head in any of the cutscenes. The best shot is one where you see it kinda off to the side, and even then it's confusing. Curse only having low quality cutscene material to work with!

I think I'm still going to use KH Kairi's hair as the base though, and go from that. I also might use part's of kh2 yuffie's, and parts of Aqua's and a few others. I also found a random npc from ffx2 that has the back part of her hair kinda similar. Making Xion's high poly hair has been my obsession over the last few days. I am such a nerd. :roll:

Oh, and to Tazuka:
Which models are you trying to get? NSBMD.exe rips some with UV data and others with no UV data. I have no clue why it picks up on one model's UV data and not another one's. I've tried with ogle and 3dvia. Both seem to pick up the same basic shape. But, nsbmd.exe displays the models all distorted, so it's a huge mess to sort through, even if you get the UV data. Console tool (version 2.0) display's unhooded xion correctly, with UV data, but I've seen it mess up other models.. so not sure on that. And you can't rip 3d data from console tool, but you can use it as a reference.

The only model that we don't have any version of from days is Xion, to my knowledge. All the others have high quality versions available in other games.
Zerox
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Zerox »

SoftIce wrote:Thanks for the encouragement guys. :)

Oh lord, I was reading some threads over on the khinsider forum where people were discussing exactly what the nature of nobodies/sombodies/heartless is and all that. I must be dumb because some of it makes my brain want to melt. Some of the people there seriously know their stuff. I'm usually all 'hurrr lemme bash the bad guys with my giant key - oh yay triggered a cut scene finally.'. >_>

I'm also the biggest procrastinator ever. I've had the low poly model of Xion done for several days but then I went all ADD and forgot about her because I got obsessed with the high poly counterpart's hair of all things. yea..

I'll upload an obj, dae and fbx version of her here, along with the textures I used. I got from the texture resource. You'll probably have to reassign the textures though, since I apparently fail at being able to export an obj that knows where the textures are. Whoo...

I've gotten neurotic over high poly Xion's hair. I thought before it was just KH Kairi's hair flipped, but her front bangs are slightly different, her side bangs are different, her part line is not nearly as pronounced, and the back is different, and there's no freaking good quality video or shot of the back of her freaking head in any of the cutscenes. The best shot is one where you see it kinda off to the side, and even then it's confusing. Curse only having low quality cutscene material to work with!

I think I'm still going to use KH Kairi's hair as the base though, and go from that. I also might use part's of kh2 yuffie's, and parts of Aqua's and a few others. I also found a random npc from ffx2 that has the back part of her hair kinda similar. Making Xion's high poly hair has been my obsession over the last few days. I am such a nerd. :roll:

Oh, and to Tazuka:
Which models are you trying to get? NSBMD.exe rips some with UV data and others with no UV data. I have no clue why it picks up on one model's UV data and not another one's. I've tried with ogle and 3dvia. Both seem to pick up the same basic shape. But, nsbmd.exe displays the models all distorted, so it's a huge mess to sort through, even if you get the UV data. Console tool (version 2.0) display's unhooded xion correctly, with UV data, but I've seen it mess up other models.. so not sure on that. And you can't rip 3d data from console tool, but you can use it as a reference.

The only model that we don't have any version of from days is Xion, to my knowledge. All the others have high quality versions available in other games.
I'm excited to see the hooded/unhooded versions upload. Perhaps you should share them at ModelsResource as well then I won't be the only one with a 358/2 model there. Good luck making a high poly version, I'd personally recommend using Aqua's HP head for the base of the face because her face is just as HQ looking as the others but it's more conservative in polys. There are other things such as the few heartless like the (Large Armor, aka the armored Largebody) and then there's the Final Boss models. Those are unique as well.
Tazuka
ultra-n00b

Post by Tazuka »

To SoftIce,

First, thanks you very much for your answer. :)
So, I tried with NSBMD files of Mario Kart DS on NSBMD.exe and when I rip with 3dvia, I don't have UV. :(
With Ogle and 3D ripper DX, I can't get the result I should have ( No UV ).
I have tried with ConsoleTool, but It doesn't open my NSBMD files. :-(

Thanks you very much for your futur answers.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm french. 8D
SoftIce
veteran

Post by SoftIce »

Zerox wrote:I'm excited to see the hooded/unhooded versions upload. Perhaps you should share them at ModelsResource as well then I won't be the only one with a 358/2 model there. Good luck making a high poly version, I'd personally recommend using Aqua's HP head for the base of the face because her face is just as HQ looking as the others but it's more conservative in polys. There are other things such as the few heartless like the (Large Armor, aka the armored Largebody) and then there's the Final Boss models. Those are unique as well.
I'm trying to make it my goal to fire up maya today and finally export the unhooded xion model. *is such a procrastinator* The hooded model is much easier, since it has UVs. I can find that one and fix it and upload it too if you'd like it. I think I'll upload them to model resource too, so other people can enjoy my hard hard work. *laugh* They'll have two lonely models under that game then. lol

I probably won't focus on any other days models except for Xion in her cloak. She just caught my fascination and I *had* to get her model. Plus, I fear for my sanity if I attempt to unscramble one of the complex armor models. *dead* What happens to her in days made me quite depressed for a while. :(

I don't really mind the higher poly count. I kind of want to have the highest amount I can out of the models available. Plus, because Xion has an identical facial structure to Kairi/Namine, it makes it much easier for me in the long run to start with their faces. I might use parts of Aqua's hair though, for part of Xion's side bang. Ah Aqua, another favorite character of mine. A strong badass female character? Oh heck yes. Er, anyway.
Tazuka wrote:To SoftIce,
First, thanks you very much for your answer. :)
So, I tried with NSBMD files of Mario Kart DS on NSBMD.exe and when I rip with 3dvia, I don't have UV. :(
With Ogle and 3D ripper DX, I can't get the result I should have ( No UV ).
I have tried with ConsoleTool, but It doesn't open my NSBMD files. :-(

Thanks you very much for your futur answers.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm french. 8D
Don't worry, your english is fine. :) I think it's very cool that you can speak two languages. I wish I could. lol.

And oooh, I see you're trying for a different game than KH days. Mario Cart. Hm. The best I can say is that you might get more luck with the link I posted below, which deals with mario cart ds and ripping stuff from it. I used their guide to help with ripping xion's model.

Ripping 3d models from the nitendo ds
http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=20088

Let me know if you get anywhere. lol.

Oh also, with nsbmd, sometimes I would get UVs and sometimes I wouldn't... so it could just be that you have bad luck with the model you're trying to get.

Console Tool acts strangely on my computer, so if the model isn't loading it could be that the program is acting weird again. I know the most recent version doesn't support the model format we're using anymore, so you need to use version 2.0.

Here's a link to the version I use, with Xion's model included. See if you can get it to load her model. If it doesn't, then it's something with your computer since she loads on mine.

The version of Console Tool I'm using:
http://www.mediafire.com/?kkcnaegq2w58xsk

What operating system do you use, by the way? Xp, Vista or Windows 7?

Oh - if you notice the model dissapears if you turn off things like joints or the grid, try switching users on your computer so it goes back to the start logon screen, wait a few mins, and then switch back to your user account. It fixes the display for me 7 times out of 10.

No clue why that helps. lol.

Edit: HAHAHHA. Under my username it says I'm a 'veteran' now. That's ironic, since I know almost nothing about programming.
Chaquan
ultra-n00b

Post by Chaquan »

If you want I can post my BMD0 from the compressed file to extract and bone marrow transplantation (texture file). Because if we simply find the extracted model, could not have been enough for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2012 fashion Leather shoes at CWMALLS, all of them are high quality and the best shoes shop online.
SoftIce
veteran

Post by SoftIce »

Thanks Chaquan, but I'm able to extract the BDM0 files okay. But, maybe yours somehow was extracted better than mine was. lol. Which model are you referring to, or do you just mean in general?

Anywayz... I finally got around to uploading my finished Xion model to mediafire. And since I'm neurotic, I included a bunch of different formats. :mrgreen:

Here ya guys go: The fruits of my hard labor. (Pffft... well it did take me a long time to do the UVS and fix the model cause I'm a n00b with Maya).
Edit/Updated link - go here if you got the other pack. The models work better here. :oops:
http://www.mediafire.com/?l505uffyk4ffeie

In this pack I included Dae, FBX, and OBJ files.

the .DAE file was exported with opencollada. Still can't get the transparency to work for me. It needs to be RGB intensity and I'm retarded and can't figure out how to do that with lambert material and Maya (sorry.)

the FBX files were exported with Maya's default FBX exporter. The FBX is ascii and has the textures embedded. The transparency works for these and the materials are lambert. I included the 2006, 2009, 2010 and 2011 FBX versions. (I would have also included 2007 and 2008 versions.. but Maya didn't give me that option. Hurp.)

But, both FBX and DAE don't seem to recognize Maya's surface shaders and convert them to lambert ones. Also... the materials don't work for the OBJ files. I have no clue... I'm retarded. I included one OBJ file with a mtl library and one OBJ file with no materials assigned.

Each format has it's own folder with the textures inside it.

When I figure out how to make the dae files use transparency I'll submit them to the model resource center... or I might just post a message at the forum there saying I'm retarded and can't figure out transparency for Dae files and can't figure out how to get OBJ files to know where the material files are. LOLOL

And why do I always end up writing novel length posts. I just like to ramble I guess. Derp. Anyway, let me know how the files work and if you need some other format or if I somehow managed to royally screw something up. :mrgreen:

Edit: Uh.. anyone know the policy over at the model resource for sharing ripped textures? Because I used Barubary's rip of Xion's textures for her textures, since when I ripped the model they didn't show up. I don't wanna get in trouble for including someone else's ripped textures in my file packet. Although, for her face, I did modify the texture so that it's not just half the face, but the entire face, so that I could add the second eye and not have her look cross eyed.

Mmm, if it comes to it, I know console tool v3 showed the textures used... so I could 'rip' them myself and then edit them in photoshop to make them transparent.
Last edited by SoftIce on Sun May 15, 2011 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.