Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

XeNTaX attacked by virus

Read rules and news about the XeNTaX Game Discussion Forum
Balder
advanced

Re: XeNTaX attacked by virus

Post by Balder »

I just noticed the problem with the wiki, I hope it'll be solved with no big data loss. Also looking forward for the sonofabitch who hacked the wiki to die, as I was in need of consulting some GRAF's. He made me lose much time reverse engineering already done work.

Anyway, keep it going, try to ignore this loozers attacks and shield up the website.

Best regards!
XpoZed
veteran

Post by XpoZed »

The answer is actually quite simple. The site was hacked by a bot that search for vulnerabilities thru search engines as google/bing/yahoo/whatever.
Most of these bots just try to exploit the system so they can use the host for further (for example DDoS) attacks to other sites.
Best way to protect yourself from attacks is to watch for the latest system updates, and patch your forum/wiki on time.
I'm a PHP programmer myself, and i can help you with some advices, but the sad truth is, i'm also too lazy and bored from PHP coding to handle the forum/wiki support myself. :roll:
Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Post by Dinoguy1000 »

As I understand it, the wiki attack was unrelated to the forum/website one; it was just a matter of unfortunate timing. At any rate, MediaWiki has always been quite hardened against attacks (it has to be, to be good enough for one of the Top Ten websites); I suspect (having absolutely no data to actually back it up) that the attack may instead have exploited an extension.
Welcome to Xentax!

Rules | Requests | Wiki | Discord

If you run across a post that breaks the rules, please report the post - a mod or admin will handle it from there.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

"Mark Forums Read" works once again from the main index page.
maxfire02
Banned

Post by maxfire02 »

Hi all of you!

I am newbie here and i am scared that XeNTaX has been attacked by virus :(

by the way is the website safe to use now and can we visit attacked forum index is it risky to our systems? :?:

Thanks
Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Post by Dinoguy1000 »

Yes, everything's fine now; this was resolved months ago.
Welcome to Xentax!

Rules | Requests | Wiki | Discord

If you run across a post that breaks the rules, please report the post - a mod or admin will handle it from there.