Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Spotlight: Señor Casaroja's Noesis

General game file tools that are useful for more than one game
UltimateSora
beginner

Re: Señor Casaroja's Noesis

Post by UltimateSora »

Here's what I've been doing.

I export the .gmo to .psk then to .smd (do to Noesis crashing if I export directly to .smd). Because Blender (the program I use) imports .smd better then .psk. But just by exporting to .psk this happens:

The separate shirt pieces are now one piece.

I'll look for a .fbx import script for Blender and see how that goes.
Satoh
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Satoh »

Why not use COLLADA DAE? Blender imports that fine as far as I'm seen. (And I use blender a lot lately)
UltimateSora
beginner

Post by UltimateSora »

Satoh wrote:Why not use COLLADA DAE? Blender imports that fine as far as I'm seen. (And I use blender a lot lately)
I tried that, the file size is like 19MB and it takes a long time for Blender to load. :(
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

First, please send me the model that crashes on SMD export so that I can fix whatever the crash is. Whenever Noesis actually crashes I consider it a problem regardless of what the circumstances are (unless you've specifically engineered a crash outside the parameters of plausible user conditions), and I wish people would actually tell me about these crashes and offer model(s) to re-create them. Instead of just bothering me enough to get whatever they want done, and then disappearing forever.

Second, PSK is also a terrible export format, for a wide variety of reasons, including but not limited to a lack of proper normals. (they're approximated with smoothing groups on export) It also exports all triangles under a single chunk, and so distinction between meshes is lost.

COLLADA files will be big, especially when containing animation in the form of flat matrices. Anything OpenCOLLADA-based should work fine with them however. As for speed, well, the plugin I use in Max is fast enough for me. FBX loading tends to be faster, but it would again depend on the plugin being used to import.
finale00
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by finale00 »

I have a format that is encrypted.

Someone has written a small C++ application to decrypt the files and I've written a python plugin for it, but now I figured it would be nice if I could decrypt the files as well. That way people don't have to decrypt it themselves.

I initially wrote the decryption script in python, but these files can get into the MB's and python isn't usually the best at processing things fast compared to other stuff (though it is just XOR'ing every byte)

The easiest solutions would be to just write everything in C++, or live with the slower performance lol

I'm more interested in whether it would be possible to implement functionality that will allow users to compile their own dll's and expose any of those functions to python plugins?
Satoh
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Satoh »

finale00 wrote:I have a format that is encrypted.

Someone has written a small C++ application to decrypt the files and I've written a python plugin for it, but now I figured it would be nice if I could decrypt the files as well. That way people don't have to decrypt it themselves.

I initially wrote the decryption script in python, but these files can get into the MB's and python isn't usually the best at processing things fast compared to other stuff (though it is just XOR'ing every byte)

The easiest solutions would be to just write everything in C++, or live with the slower performance lol

I'm more interested in whether it would be possible to implement functionality that will allow users to compile their own dll's and expose any of those functions to python plugins?
Isn't that what the Noepython does anyway? Doesn't it simply call the functions that are in the Noesis core library? Basically aliasing the C++ functions into functions in the python syntax?

Maybe I missed something when I was looking through the python files, but it certainly seemed like that's how it worked.
finale00
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by finale00 »

Some formats give a material a color rather than a texture.
So like I might say material1 is red, or has rgba (1, 0, 0, 1).
And then all of the faces that use material1 are red.

How do I reflect this in noesis?
McCuñao
veteran

Post by McCuñao »

Can you add support to Shenmue I MT5 and Shenmue II MT7 files?

Intel and samples are here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4593&hilit=Shenmue
UltimateSora
beginner

Post by UltimateSora »

MrAdults wrote:First, please send me the model that crashes on SMD export so that I can fix whatever the crash is. Whenever Noesis actually crashes I consider it a problem regardless of what the circumstances are (unless you've specifically engineered a crash outside the parameters of plausible user conditions), and I wish people would actually tell me about these crashes and offer model(s) to re-create them. Instead of just bothering me enough to get whatever they want done, and then disappearing forever.
The GMO exports to SMD just fine, but when I try to load it, I get a crash.
Here's the model.
junk angel
veteran

Post by junk angel »

I actually believe that that is due to a faulty SMD exporter inside of noesis. As far as I know it messes up skeletal part of the mesh, which leads to most importers failing on importing the mesh.

There's a max importer that works, but the one that is more commonly used crashes as well. StudioMdl (source sdk smd to mdl converter) can still parse the SMDs into a working MDL. Which you can then decompile to get a completely normally functional SMD again.
rexil
veteran

Post by rexil »

Not sure what kind of .psk importer he's using, but I have been using Noesis to export to .psk like forever and I never had any problem with it. I also use SZKARADEK .psk importer which is great.
Your sample exported just fine to .psk and imported correctly with weights and all into Blender.
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

finale00: Noesis will read Python extension DLLs if you put them in a "DLLs" folder under the Python folder. However, they probably need to be compiled from a static build of Python 3.2.1, and I haven't tested the functionality. You'd probably be better off just writing a native DLL plugin, or doing your decryption in Python. (which if it's just a xor-based encryption should still be plenty fast)

For solid color materials, you can set the diffuse color of the material and not give it a texture, or just generate a small solid-color image for its texture. I believe I did the former in the FX Fighter plugin.

That GMO exports to SMD in Noesis and reimports just fine in Noesis, Wunderboy's SMD importer, and Studiomdl. Not sure what you're talking about when you say Noesis "messes up skeletal part of the mesh", particularly because what is exported is well within SMD spec (what little there is), and nothing that should be choking any given importer - particularly given that Valve's official tools handle these SMD's just fine. Exactly why is it that these other importers (not even sure which ones you're using, since no one has actually bothered to name one) can't handle Noesis-exported SMD's?
UltimateSora
beginner

Post by UltimateSora »

@rexil
My problem is when I convert the model to PSK the shirt pieces combine. Look at this.

I want them separated so I can easily have him with either of these shirts rather then delete face after face.

@MrAdults
OK, I just opened the GMO>SMD in Noesis and it works just fine on a different computer. So I think the other computer is the problem and not Noesis. Sorry. :(
finale00
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by finale00 »

I think at some point in time I was looking at some textures for some game, and the file containing the textures stored several textures, and I could hit the left/right keys to scroll through them.

Maybe.
Is that a feature?

I tried out chrrox's virtual fighter plugin viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7843 and changed the texture names to make them unique (to verify that I could export all of the textures), but I couldn't scroll through them even though they are all in the texList (like how if a mdlList had multiple models then you could cycle through them with a new button)

Also for GUI. I think the common one is tkinter. Or wxpython, not sure if it supports 3.x though.
chrrox

Post by chrrox »

you just have to go into component viewer and click on the texture listed there.