Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Spotlight: Señor Casaroja's Noesis

General game file tools that are useful for more than one game
MrAdults

Re: Señor Casaroja's Noesis

Post by MrAdults »

viperzerofsx wrote:noesis no longer starts for me. I downloaded a version on 6/13 but then it froze and crashed and would no longer do anything I downloaded a newer version on the 21st and it failed as well. I deleted both and tried restarting and re-downloading but it failed as well. what can I do?
What was the last version that worked for you? 3.0 and later are still on the Noesis site, just change the download url of the zip to the appropriate version number.
LUBDAR
veteran

Post by LUBDAR »

Hi Mr Adults,
my name is Lubdar, I just wanted to introduce myself and provide you with information (hopefully the right information) that might help assess my problem.
I've run into a problem with how the texture files are applied to models for FF8 models in Noesis. I was working with the Irvine model, I exported him as .OBJ and selected Flip UVs, and left the rest of the settings as default.
Here is a picture of the model in Noesis
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zrcnk2uEc_w/T ... Noesis.png
and then once I brought him into 3dsmax and applied the textures
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fCwiT8whJW8/T ... 3dsmax.png
It appears that the "inside of his coat" has been placed on the outside of his coat.

I've attached an archive with some file information for Irvine.
Irvine.rar
Let me know if you need anything more.
If you get a chance to work on this, I'd appreciate it. It's low on the Totem pole.

Has anyone else exported the FF8 models and ended up with weird texture issues?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chrrox

Post by chrrox »

just change the material to double sided
LUBDAR
veteran

Post by LUBDAR »

chrrox wrote:just change the material to double sided

THanks for helping me out, I appreciate it. :D
viperzerofsx
veteran

Post by viperzerofsx »

sorry this took so long i had an issue to resolve. any way i gave 3.0 a shot along with 3.31 and got nothing, but I think the issue is on my end perhaps my settings? I run as an administrator but I might be missing something. it does work on my family pc
finale00
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by finale00 »

I have a question about noesis' format auto-detection (or at least, I think that's how it works).
How does it best determine what format a model is? It seems to get it right most of the time.

Does it read the first couple bytes and then determine where it goes afterwards?
If so, some models have 3-byte headers, other have 4-byte headers, some have even more. How is this dealt with?

I can't think of too many ways to try to detect format for some arbitrary file.
Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Post by Dinoguy1000 »

I can't speak for Noesis' particular method, and anything I say is strictly the opinion of someone who has never worked on format auto-detection, but it seems to me that the most trivial way to detect a file's format would be to simply try to read it as various formats, and see which (if any) allow the file to be successfully read; this would require almost no additional programming beyond the file I/O programming the program should already have, but it's going to be terribly slow for large files or complex formats. The easiest way to then increase the speed would be adding some simple heuristics based on file extension and the first few bytes of a file, and possibly the directory a file that is being loaded is in.

Surprisingly, I'm not finding much at all on Google about format auto-detection; most of it is related to using or disabling auto-detect functionality in various programs. If we were to write a good guide on format auto-detection theory, we might get a bit of attention for that. =D
Welcome to Xentax!

Rules | Requests | Wiki | Discord

If you run across a post that breaks the rules, please report the post - a mod or admin will handle it from there.
shadowmoy
veteran

Post by shadowmoy »

the more reliable way is the "fourcc" also known as "magic" chars in the begining of the header but, lot of games don't use this trick and we need to found another way to identify the binary file, sometime just extension, sometime some part of the header, sometime something else and finally the last but weirdest possibility is to ask the user to select a mesh format and try each remaining one in some case, else it can lead to crash the app if the format don't match....

also in the case of noesis , the problem is that it begin to support more and more formats from various platform, using the same extensions , etc... etc ...
_-=<(¯`·._.·[ CodeMan ]·._.·´¯)>=-_
LUBDAR
veteran

Post by LUBDAR »

Hiya there,
I just thought I'd get a feel and ask if anyone else has been using the -decim option and found an optimal value they're using that they'd care to share...
thanks for your time,
Lubdar

different forum, potentially different group of people...
McCuñao
veteran

Post by McCuñao »

Hello there, I managed to extract all the files from BOUNCER.BIN from The Bouncer, but I'm not able to see the .bin files inside so I can check out the models. What am I doing wrong?
Sniperello
n00b

Post by Sniperello »

Please add to your program *BMO psp format
Here is samples files and textureshttp://www.mediafire.com/?6ocoykev276otkp
likebutter
ultra-n00b

Post by likebutter »

I've been trying to view the DMC4 models in noesis but they are all separate pieces, the body, head, and hair are not connected. Also their faces are a bit off as well, as shown in the picture. How do I make them into a complete model? Thanks! c:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maniacoloco
advanced

Post by maniacoloco »

likebutter wrote:I've been trying to view the DMC4 models in noesis but they are all separate pieces, the body, head, and hair are not connected. Also their faces are a bit off as well, as shown in the picture. How do I make them into a complete model? Thanks! c:
Dont' bother with that, that's the ingame lowpoly model.

The highpoly models are in:

x/(folder where you installed the game)/nativepc/id/libra.

For "building" the model you have to place the "root" bone where it has to be... I'm gonna do a tutorial tomorrow explainning how to do that.
likebutter
ultra-n00b

Post by likebutter »

Oh thanks! Now the only problem is connecting the parts, I still dont understand how to do that.
firsak
advanced

Post by firsak »

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.