Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

I.M.Meen (1995 PC/DOS) CMP format

Get your graphics formats figures out here! Got details for others? Post here!
Balder
advanced

Re: I.M.Meen (1995 PC/DOS) CMP format

Post by Balder »

Yeah, pretty easy from there I think you'll find such a tool even without having to code it yourself. (In such case we could make it just in a couple of hours)

Once the palette is found just tell me to update the tools, so the pixel coulours are output correctly.

Keep it up!
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Darkfox »

ALRIGHT, I extracted what seems to contain the palette we've been looking for!

I'll see if I can clean it up a bit. But it seems to contain the full palette.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Balder
advanced

Post by Balder »

As I said, I'll try to confirm that palette this weekend :wink:
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Darkfox »

Right, I'll be looking forward to it. ^_^
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Darkfox »

Good news/bad news moment

Good News: Image

The palette I extracted works with all textures AND sprites.

Bad News: Image

Sprites no matter the setting appear off, specific tools for extraction may be necessary to gain desirable results. But now that the palette is extracted and known for these, it should not be too hard now.

Bad News: Image

It doesn't seem to be the same palette that the CMP uses. =/

Edit: I provide the corrected palette file.

Edit2: It appears that it is not only the first palette I've found but the ONLY palette, so a CMP must read it differently.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Darkfox »

Another update:

The palette file attached in the above post is the ONLY palette used in-game. Almost all textures are viewable and can be converted using TILEDGGD, however, animated sprites are not, but that's for later. CMPs map differently to the palette but all colors neccesary are in there. Thus we are very close to finishing up the CMPs. Then all that would leave is the animated sprites contained in IMAGES.IMG. But we need to finish up the CMPs.

The end is in sight! Victory is eminent. :D
Balder
advanced

Post by Balder »

Hey! Back here and glad to see these progress. As that seems to be the palette and having now two days off (monday and tuesday) I'll try to figure out how is the palette used by the CMP's. Can't promise anything, but I'll try my best. There was also some unknown data at the end of each CMP that can be related to this problem so we'll see.

I think you can start thinking of having the game completely unpacked (and not just dreaming hehe)

Now a bit of rest for me as I had too much problems lately.

See tomorrow!
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Darkfox »

Balder wrote:I think you can start thinking of having the game completely unpacked (and not just dreaming hehe)
Yup! CMPs, animated doors, and sprite are the last needed graphics. When they are decoded, consider I.M.Meen resources cracked. And in celebration of that, I'm recreating the maps in Doom with what we've accomplished thus far!
Balder
advanced

Post by Balder »

That sounds fantastic :wink:

Sorry again, some unplanned business took me 4 hours and so I'll try to see that tomorrow if there isn't any new trouble (one can never be completely on holidays!)

That's it, see you soon!
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Darkfox »

Eh, it's alright. We are getting close to finally cracking the CMP files. Then we'd be 2/3 complete. (the final 3/3 is the sprites and textures with transparency)
Balder
advanced

Post by Balder »

Have taken a look over that. I got the same "fucked up" image as you show up, so It may take some time to figure the correcto order of the palette. Don't promise anything. I'll be away some time now I think (exams business) but any free time one of my tasks will be finding this out.

I hope yo keep too trying on this project.

Bye!!! :)
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Darkfox »

Well I'll be trying (key word there "trying") to get the sprite graphics and animated/transparency doors to display correctly instead of broken up as they appear now (IMG files exclusively). Maybe the sprites would be easier to work on as the palette works with them. Though you've done very good so far on the CMPs.

Overall we are 1/3 finished. 1/3 being finding the palette and displaying and extracting the textures (minus the animated doors and transparent walls) Funny enough, our project here has gained external interest since the game has escalated to internet fame. I myself have decided to put our progress to recreate this game in GZDoom minus the grammar puzzles for fun and as a classic FPS enthusiast.

Edit: I discovered why the sprites were displaying wrong as they were compressed by removing the numerous transparent portions and storing their portions in data stored at the beginning of the instance.
Balder
advanced

Post by Balder »

And so just CMP's remaining to hack huh?
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Darkfox »

Well, the CMPs and the IMGs. Primarily, IMAGES.IMG
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Darkfox »

Well, with Images.IMG cracked pretty much all that is left it seems is CMPs. And the way I see it now is that CMPs use a color lookup table as opposed to raw palette usage like with the IMGs. The numbers indicate portions of the palette and pick specific colors inside. I could cross examine simpler things like the pointers and icons which can be ripped without distortion.

Edit: They also use the masking that was used in IMAGES.IMG for transparency.