Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

[Xbox][MGF] MechAssault 2 / Material & Geometry Format

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Protocol X27
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: [MGF] Material & Geometry Format

Post by Protocol X27 »

Wow, wow, wow! I only have so many words to express: 'You Guys are Amazing!' I really appreciate having this thing cracked after soooooo long.

@shakotay,
Hmmm, it wouldn't be the first time I've seen Blender have alternate scaling even when using exact game scale values, so thank you for at least making an attempt on that. I'm glad you caught the WordUV change. I was thinking the UV's were looking a bit sharp, so I'm glad that's resolved now before I really start working on exporting even more obj's. That would have been frustrating to manually adjust all of those. Thanks! :D

@AceWell,
Amazing work. Definitely correct, that tackles most of them, definitely the body & face textures are covered. As I move further along I will see what some of the mech & stage textures look like. I did notice that a couple hair textures fell into the swizzle category, so perhaps when you do circle back you could include these in your testing. NAT_hair01 & NAT_hair01.spclr. (in cinema_1_1a.mgf) Totally not a deal breaker since I was already planning to use some better high res textures in that department anyway, but it will be nice to have them as an option down the road.

:gulp: :drunken: :lurk: <3 :bravo: :rock:

Just did a quick Blender test! Now the fun begins of modernizing. :)

Protocol X27
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: [Xbox][MGF] MechAssault 2 / Material & Geometry Format

Post by Protocol X27 »

I updated the first post with a tutorial and a streamed down utility now that it does not need my partial image & meta functions. I know you guys are community champs and not prone to receive anything for your efforts, but if you change your mind please PM me. At least to do my part and help anyone else ever interested, I compiled a tutorial & resources for everything done so far.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0765kr4zj ... f_V1.0.zip

I updated the first post as well. If anything is unclear or buggy, please let me know.

At least to show the effort was not in vain and going to use. Here's an implementation of using some of the assets (Left: My conversion, Right: Render from Marketing). After looking through the files and partially replaying the game it would seem Microsoft used some assets to promote the game that were not actually included in the data. At least if they were, my inspection was not thorough enough to find any dormant files. Still the journey was sufficient since having original assets in part is important for this conversion and other models I intend to work on eventually as well. :D

Pepsee
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepsee »

Protocol X27 wrote:Wow, wow, wow! I only have so many words to express: 'You Guys are Amazing!' I really appreciate having this thing cracked after soooooo long.

@shakotay,
Hmmm, it wouldn't be the first time I've seen Blender have alternate scaling even when using exact game scale values, so thank you for at least making an attempt on that. I'm glad you caught the WordUV change. I was thinking the UV's were looking a bit sharp, so I'm glad that's resolved now before I really start working on exporting even more obj's. That would have been frustrating to manually adjust all of those. Thanks! :D

@AceWell,
Amazing work. Definitely correct, that tackles most of them, definitely the body & face textures are covered. As I move further along I will see what some of the mech & stage textures look like. I did notice that a couple hair textures fell into the swizzle category, so perhaps when you do circle back you could include these in your testing. NAT_hair01 & NAT_hair01.spclr. (in cinema_1_1a.mgf) Totally not a deal breaker since I was already planning to use some better high res textures in that department anyway, but it will be nice to have them as an option down the road.

:gulp: :drunken: :lurk: <3 :bravo: :rock:

Just did a quick Blender test! Now the fun begins of modernizing. :)

Wow! Great job! I really hope you can upload a pack containing all models and textures in .obj and .png form or any workable format! Keep it up!
Protocol X27
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Protocol X27 »

Pepsee wrote: Wow! Great job! I really hope you can upload a pack containing all models and textures in .obj and .png form or any workable format! Keep it up!
Thanks! That's a rather tall order considering just how many models are included in 'all'. Even hair meshes are broken into a ton of parts, so that would take a ton of time not well spent. In my recent link I posted a walkthrough of how to get the meshes, so by using that it's fair game to extract any meshes available. The script that AceWell wrote is highly useful for finding specific files.

I don't mind helping narrow done some factors once you take a shot at which files you're looking for. The samples I posted already have all of the multiplayer characters and some of cinematic characters.
Trent24
ultra-n00b

Post by Trent24 »

Protocol X27 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:57 pm I updated the first post with a tutorial and a streamed down utility now that it does not need my partial image & meta functions. I know you guys are community champs and not prone to receive anything for your efforts, but if you change your mind please PM me. At least to do my part and help anyone else ever interested, I compiled a tutorial & resources for everything done so far.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0765kr4zj ... f_V1.0.zip

I updated the first post as well. If anything is unclear or buggy, please let me know.

At least to show the effort was not in vain and going to use. Here's an implementation of using some of the assets (Left: My conversion, Right: Render from Marketing). After looking through the files and partially replaying the game it would seem Microsoft used some assets to promote the game that were not actually included in the data. At least if they were, my inspection was not thorough enough to find any dormant files. Still the journey was sufficient since having original assets in part is important for this conversion and other models I intend to work on eventually as well. :D

We're going to have to be doing model by model in hex2obj ??

Is there a faster way to obtain the models?

By the way, excellent work that you have done.

sorry for my english
shakotay2
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by shakotay2 »

Trent24 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:30 amWe're going to have to be doing model by model in hex2obj ??
No. hex2obj is just a helpertool for getting/understanding the first submesh(es).
Is there a faster way to obtain the models?
Sooner or later (using the Make_obj project). Just checking some mgf files with about 1000 static submeshes.
Other than with the character meshes (FVFsize of 56 and an UVpos of 32) the buildings usually have 20/16 or 24/20 with weird uvs so far:
cinema_10_uvs_static_meshes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tuts: a) Bigchillghost, viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17889
b) Extracting simple models: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10894
"Quoting the whole thing. Would u ever stop this nonsense?"
Protocol X27
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Protocol X27 »

@shakotay
Thanks for tackling his questions and adding some new tidbits. It'd been so long without activity that I wasn't sure if it was to resurrect a dead topic, XD

So is the 'Make_obj' that you're referring to something that you're working on?

I got a bit burnt out working on some of the vehicles that I still need to revisit. The other tough aspect was that the trying to match up any buildings with textures since there are so many, and the names are obscure. :O
shakotay2
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by shakotay2 »

Protocol X27 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:38 amSo is the 'Make_obj' that you're referring to something that you're working on?
From time to time, when I have new "ideas" (uvs are still weird).
Here's a link to it (ignore the ".efo", there's a ".mgf" version contained in the appended zip):
shakotay2 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:24 pm
(some H2O files need a correction, for example 00000968_cinema_1_1a_507.H2O requires a switch to noStrip)
Protocol X27
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Protocol X27 »

shakotay2 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:09 am Here's a link to it (ignore the ".efo", there's a ".mgf" version contained in the appended zip):
Apologies if I'm missing something obvious. Do you mean one of the links in your signature?
shakotay2
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by shakotay2 »

nope (Make_obj-efo.zip).
download/file.php?id=17313
Protocol X27
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Protocol X27 »

shakotay2 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:08 pm nope (Make_obj-efo.zip).
download/file.php?id=17313
Thanks, This looks intriguing. Have to dust off the cobwebs and experiment with this.
Amity astray
ultra-n00b

Post by Amity astray »

Is anyone still working on opening the game files? :ninja: