Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Hellboy: Science of Evil PS3/KROME models

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Re: Hellboy: Science of Evil PS3/KROME models

Post by daemon1 »

Today I found some time to return to this game. Well, it really has submeshes for each material and crazy bone remappings.

Here's the tool. Use it on .MDG or .MDL file. It will only work with skeletal model files. To get the skeleton structure and bone names, it needs any .ANM file of that character. Put it in the same folder. If there will be many .anm files from different characters in the same folder, the result is non-predictable.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

Tool posted.
Acewell
VIP member
VIP member

Post by Acewell »

daemon1 wrote:..... it really has submeshes for each material....
i can't find any of this submesh information, where in the mdl or mdg file are you seeing this data? :oops:
can you please use the abe files as example and tell me where the offset to this data is so i know what to look for?
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

AceWell wrote:
daemon1 wrote:..... it really has submeshes for each material....
i can't find any of this submesh information, where in the mdl or mdg file are you seeing this data? :oops:
can you please use the abe files as example and tell me where the offset to this data is so i know what to look for?
sure.

mdl offset 0x68 ---> points to material table.

material table has offsets for all submeshes according to their materials. These are offsets to a table in the end of ABE_BINDPOSE.mdg file.

A row of this table contains starting face number and number of faces for this material part.

But each material may cover different parts of the model, so there's actually a linked list inside of that table that will contain data for each part (each with its own bone remapping). But since you're not interested in bones, you can just put all parts of given material into one.
Acewell
VIP member
VIP member

Post by Acewell »

daemon1 wrote:A row of this table contains starting face number and number of faces for this material part.

But each material may cover different parts of the model, so there's actually a linked list inside of that table that will contain data for each part ... you can just put all parts of given material into one.
i've seen this table at the end of the mdg before but i can't make sense of the numbers, it looks like that
table is in seven 32 byte blocks and i can see 2 pointers there (50b60 at 0x50b4c and 50ba0 at 0x50b8c)
but nothing else there looks familiar, is the starting face number and number of faces data stored as shorts? :?

edit
nevermind, the numbers makes no sense to me because there are too many details left out
and i don't think these are submeshes, but material groups.... (:
Last edited by Acewell on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

well, if you'll ever decide to increase you skill level, yes, face counts/numbers are stored as shorts. And those pointers are to define a linked list inside of that table. Its needed when a material covers many parts of a model, for example, body and arms.
ShadowLuigi
beginner

Post by ShadowLuigi »

I know that this thread hasn't really been active in years but this is what happened when I tried using the model tool.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShadowLuigi
beginner

Post by ShadowLuigi »

Did some more experimenting with models from other KROME studios games like Viva Pinata Party Animals and I seem to get the following for certain models and certain animations.
VPPA MODEL 2.PNG