Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain g0s archive

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Re: Metal Gear Solid 5 Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain g0s archiv

Post by lionheartuk »

iambosh wrote:
lionheartuk wrote:Surprised to see how low quality some of these textures are honestly, the game itself looks fantastic, I'd been expecting a super detailed diffuse, but it really goes to show just how well the FOX Engine composites the different textures together (and seems to be able to tint them), a real testament to what that engine can do. Skullfaces face texture is a great example of that, as a texture it looks so flat and boring, but with the normals and spec, plus the scene lightint, and of course the details on the model itself, theres some real depth to the 'craters' that look so flat in the diffuse alone.

Something I've been wondering is, why are so many of the textures using strange hash names? Is it simply because we can't figure out the correct naming for them, or is it more that once packed in engine, it renames them (much like a few other engines do) to something shorter and quicker to sort through, resulting in something thats a bit of a mess for human eyes.

If you can point me to the names of some of these, I can spruce up the normals and specs and such to really make a nicer texture. same for like the ground and such. im having trouble finding what is what

Nvm, im a ditz
I don't think theres really any need, the definition is all there when the textures are composited together, if you start combining things then the darks are going to end up super dark, and the lights super bright, you'll probably have to run a few tests, but I'm sure theres a reason its done this way.

My first guess would be that with less definition in the textures themselves, it means something can be repeated a lot more (ie the ground or the rocks) and its not going to be particularly noticeable as most of the details are added in the lighting and so nothing stands out more than intended, change that and repetition might become pretty clear.
iambosh
advanced

Post by iambosh »

lionheartuk wrote:
iambosh wrote:
lionheartuk wrote:Surprised to see how low quality some of these textures are honestly, the game itself looks fantastic, I'd been expecting a super detailed diffuse, but it really goes to show just how well the FOX Engine composites the different textures together (and seems to be able to tint them), a real testament to what that engine can do. Skullfaces face texture is a great example of that, as a texture it looks so flat and boring, but with the normals and spec, plus the scene lightint, and of course the details on the model itself, theres some real depth to the 'craters' that look so flat in the diffuse alone.

Something I've been wondering is, why are so many of the textures using strange hash names? Is it simply because we can't figure out the correct naming for them, or is it more that once packed in engine, it renames them (much like a few other engines do) to something shorter and quicker to sort through, resulting in something thats a bit of a mess for human eyes.

If you can point me to the names of some of these, I can spruce up the normals and specs and such to really make a nicer texture. same for like the ground and such. im having trouble finding what is what

Nvm, im a ditz
I don't think theres really any need, the definition is all there when the textures are composited together, if you start combining things then the darks are going to end up super dark, and the lights super bright, you'll probably have to run a few tests, but I'm sure theres a reason its done this way.

My first guess would be that with less definition in the textures themselves, it means something can be repeated a lot more (ie the ground or the rocks) and its not going to be particularly noticeable as most of the details are added in the lighting and so nothing stands out more than intended, change that and repetition might become pretty clear.

Im a texture artist so I know what to do with the maps, im just trying to sort out what is what.

seems i found the player camera paramaters

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes\data_02\Assets\tpp\level_asset\chara\player

Also found:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes\data_02\Assets\tpp\pack\ui

ui_option_setting.fpk
Last edited by Gh0stBlade on Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double post merge.
Evin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Evin »

Sergeanur wrote:The tool is updated, link is the same.
Now you can decrypt the resources (LUA, FPK, JSON, etc.) while unpacking the archive. Run the tool like this

Code: Select all

MGSV_QAR_Tool.exe data_02.g0s -r
Also the tool now uses dictionary to match hashes.
Could you make an encryter/decrypter tool? Maybe it will works with console files, even with MGS4 files.
Sergeanur
advanced

Post by Sergeanur »

Link updated - tons of names added into dictionary.
evin wrote:Could you make an encryter/decrypter tool? Maybe it will works with console files, even with MGS4 files.
In will not work on console versions and it will definitely NOT work on MGS 4.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

iambosh wrote: I'm a texture artist so I know what to do with the maps, im just trying to sort out what is what.
Oh cool, me too, seems there are a few industry guys in the forums.

I think for the most part the textures are fairly obvious to be honest, though, the greeny ones are a bit odd, the ones that look sort of like night vision, they're not normal, specular or diffuse textures, so I wonder what they are, do you have any ideas here? It seems to be only the non-static objects (more specifically the characters), the game doesn't use tessellation maps either (unless its doubling its spec as tessellation textures, its been 5 years since I used an engine with tessellation so the way the textures work may have changed a little (or a lot).

I can't actually test any of the textures myself but if you figure out what those textures are do post your findings in here, no company I've worked with (or independent projects) have ever used such textures, unless they're just a standard map type with a channel or 2 flipped perhaps? (just a wild guess, I don't even have photoshop this laptop as its dead old so I can't really investigate anything properly until I get back to my own machine.
michalss

Post by michalss »

evin wrote:
Sergeanur wrote:The tool is updated, link is the same.
Now you can decrypt the resources (LUA, FPK, JSON, etc.) while unpacking the archive. Run the tool like this

Code: Select all

MGSV_QAR_Tool.exe data_02.g0s -r
Also the tool now uses dictionary to match hashes.
Could you make an encryter/decrypter tool? Maybe it will works with console files, even with MGS4 files.

Also would like to see some work on consoles version pls ? Specially on X360.... Any chance ?
Quick BMS Editor GUI - simple easy to use
Goto : viewtopic.php?uid=34229&f=29&t=6797&start=0

Downloads from DropBox : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/
Sergeanur
advanced

Post by Sergeanur »

michalss wrote:Also would like to see some work on consoles version pls ? Specially on X360.... Any chance ?
Well, if you could provide me with some X360's LUAs...
iambosh
advanced

Post by iambosh »

lionheartuk wrote:
iambosh wrote: I'm a texture artist so I know what to do with the maps, im just trying to sort out what is what.
Oh cool, me too, seems there are a few industry guys in the forums.

I think for the most part the textures are fairly obvious to be honest, though, the greeny ones are a bit odd, the ones that look sort of like night vision, they're not normal, specular or diffuse textures, so I wonder what they are, do you have any ideas here? It seems to be only the non-static objects (more specifically the characters), the game doesn't use tessellation maps either (unless its doubling its spec as tessellation textures, its been 5 years since I used an engine with tessellation so the way the textures work may have changed a little (or a lot).

I can't actually test any of the textures myself but if you figure out what those textures are do post your findings in here, no company I've worked with (or independent projects) have ever used such textures, unless they're just a standard map type with a channel or 2 flipped perhaps? (just a wild guess, I don't even have photoshop this laptop as its dead old so I can't really investigate anything properly until I get back to my own machine.
Well the Fox Engine is using Physically Based Rendering, So i can see that its using a color map. Now how the engine interprets this is up in the air. there is a possibility that some of the texture carry the roughness,gloss and metallness or ao maps in the RGBA channels. Color maps usually are to tell the engine what materials to assign to a mesh without having to remake the texture to speciafically map the object. I am having trouble finding the right maps as they are all scattered. I know that there seems to be some Sub Scattering and the rain gloss animation, and the ground and mud and metal and wood are FOR SURE using PBR. I would just have to get in the texture and mess with them. If you could give me the files i could tell you what is going on. I could even improve them. I noticed the characters are using 2048 maps. and the objects seem to be 1024
Eiwo
ultra-n00b

Post by Eiwo »

iambosh wrote: Well the Fox Engine is using Physically Based Rendering
If you have nothing else to do you could watch the FOX engine video, they talk about their PBR method. I'd really like if there was a way to increase the "roughness" they talked about which controller how wet things were in the rain. Anyway, it might give you some hints.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMbxzTUuSg

I've got to say though, all I see from watching old MGSV related videos are major downgrades! Hopefully there's a way to greatly enhance the visuals to the way they were pre-release, especially for The Phantom Pain.
Sergeanur
advanced

Post by Sergeanur »

"GROUND ZEROES", sunny weather, 10 AM, strong wind. Introduction cutscene has no textures (everything is white).
Eiwo
ultra-n00b

Post by Eiwo »

Can you disable the static time of day too? Which file had those settings?
Sergeanur
advanced

Post by Sergeanur »

Eiwo wrote:Can you disable the static time of day too? Which file had those settings?
I believe I can but I don't know how long I have to wait to see some weather change.
EDIT: Tried it. Played around for 10 mins. Nothing changed.
BTW people keep in mind that your changes will not affect if the file you're editing was cached into FPK or FPKD.
odrin
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by odrin »

3rd person games generally don't have super detailed tetxures. they make up for it with superior shader and lighting effects.

also, the modding scene for this game is phenomenal. a far cry from shite ubisoft games.
iambosh
advanced

Post by iambosh »

Im just dying for FOV, ability to enable only reflections and boost the resolution of those, and add back in the shell casing bit.
JayK
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by JayK »

I made a tool to extract the FPK files, I'm not completely happy with it as some of the filenames have illegal characters so I can't output those filename's, so to work around that I just made it put some hex digits out for the filename. Model format is fmdl and is super super simple, you can download the FPK Unpacker below, haven't really tested it thoroughly, so let me know if there are any problems. just drag an FPK file onto it.

FPK Unpacker

Should work on FPKD files as well
lionheartuk wrote: I can't actually test any of the textures myself but if you figure out what those textures are do post your findings in here, no company I've worked with (or independent projects) have ever used such textures, unless they're just a standard map type with a channel or 2 flipped perhaps? (just a wild guess, I don't even have photoshop this laptop as its dead old so I can't really investigate anything properly until I get back to my own machine.
It was already mentioned before that the weird colour textures store the AO, Spec and Alpha Map on the RGB levels.