Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain g0s archive

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
Higus
advanced

Re: Metal Gear Solid 5 Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain g0s archiv

Post by Higus »

Sergeanur wrote:Dictionary for QAR Tool is updated.
Only 12 Lua files left, neat.

How can we add new files to repack in the qar? (as opposed to updating/replacing files prepacked into the qar)
Sergeanur
advanced

Post by Sergeanur »

lionheartuk wrote:(oddly textures have been 'HD' since the PS2, if you regard 1920x1280+ to be HD then 2048x2048 is HD)
What do you mean by that? The biggest textures in PS2 version of MGS 3 I saw were 512x512, 631x343 and 1024x233.
Higus wrote:How can we add new files to repack in the qar? (as opposed to updating/replacing files prepacked into the qar)
You need to add an entry into INF, but as long as you don't know how to calculate a hash for its name you can't do it.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Sergeanur wrote:
lionheartuk wrote:(oddly textures have been 'HD' since the PS2, if you regard 1920x1280+ to be HD then 2048x2048 is HD)
What do you mean by that? The biggest textures in PS2 version of MGS 3 I saw were 512x512, 631x343 and 1024x233.

There were some PS2 games with textures at 1024x1024, and a very small number with 2048x2048 (I believe FF12), but commonly it was 2048x1024 and 1024x512 (along with some other rather unusual sizes such as your mentioned 1024x233).

I was more pointing out that HD doesn't really apply so well to textures, so ground zeroes for example on PC has 4k support, but it has no 4k textures at all, its mostly 1024 and a bunch of 2048's, the rest are all 512s and the like, those don't suddenly look much better when working things at 4k.

Snakes body texture is, I THINK, 2048x1024, so thats just a few pixels below what officially constitutes as HD anyway, thats all I meant really.

I'm quite pedantic when it comes to HD and other resolutions, I don't support the concept of 4 or 8k tvs at all, and to be honest I don't really support the idea of 3k tvs, at least not for another 4-5 years. Its a lot easier for games to be 3-4k+ than it is for something like films.
Higus
advanced

Post by Higus »

Sergeanur wrote:
Higus wrote:How can we add new files to repack in the qar? (as opposed to updating/replacing files prepacked into the qar)
You need to add an entry into INF, but as long as you don't know how to calculate a hash for its name you can't do it.
Care to add some kind of feature to get around this?
Sergeanur
advanced

Post by Sergeanur »

Higus wrote:
Sergeanur wrote:
Care to add some kind of feature to get around this?
Perhaps, but no plan to do such thing at the moment.
Higus
advanced

Post by Higus »

stiffy360 wrote:
DEElekgolo wrote: Can edit textures now
How would you go about doing that?
Atvaark's FtexTool:
https://github.com/Atvaark/FtexTool/releases
It was really pretty pointless up about until 2 hours ago when he updated it to convert with mip maps.
odrin
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by odrin »

Omission7x wrote:Has anyone yet found a way to add more geometry to Snake? His mesh model stretches the textures on his suit. Or maybe someone could make an HD texture mod for snake, with an added honeycomb pattern design?

Something like this
http://hdwallsource.com/img/2014/6/cool ... papers.jpg

With bump maps too.
if you add honeycombs, the stretching will be even more apparently, as now you have small honeycombs here, then suddenly long and big honeycombs here.

also texture stretching is actually good for certain fabrics and materials like rubber, leather, etc. his suit looks like some type of rubber or polymer
cra0
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by cra0 »

Annnnd we have bones
http://dev.cra0kalo.com/?p=277
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

cra0 wrote:Annnnd we have bones
Oh man thats awesome! Fantastic work!

Will you be releasing the tool before you complete model exporting back into the game at all?

I only ask as I won't be using the tool for importing back into the game, only for checking out the models themselves.

I wish someone was this enthusiastic and quick back when Twin Snakes came out, I'd still love to replace a lot of the shoddy models in that.
odrin
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by odrin »

twin snakes had fine graphics and modeling work for its time. remember it came out nearly 11 years ago
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

odrin wrote:twin snakes had fine graphics and modeling work for its time. remember it came out nearly 11 years ago
Yeah of course, for its time it looked, well no, it came out just before MGS3 and after MGS2 but its models were of slightly lower quality than MGS2 but eitherway for its time it did indeed look great.

But now due to emulators like Dolphin it can be played in HD and the low texture resolutions really do show, as do the not so great character models at times (mostly its texture stuff, which is easy to fix, but otacons model is just plain ugly). That said, sticking a model of GZ's polycount into TTS, even in emulator, the engine it runs on just might break, though I did replace tons of its textures and it still runs as well as before, but its dolphin loading them, so I imagine dolphin itself takes the bulk of the weight instead of the engine.
Kazeite
ultra-n00b

Post by Kazeite »

lionheartuk wrote:But now due to emulators like Dolphin it can be played in HD and the low texture resolutions really do show, as do the not so great character models at times (mostly its texture stuff, which is easy to fix, but otacons model is just plain ugly).
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection uses the exact same textures, right? It only allows you to play in higher resolution?
clairegrube
beginner

Post by clairegrube »

Kazeite wrote:Metal Gear Solid HD Collection uses the exact same textures, right? It only allows you to play in higher resolution?
Unfortunately Twin Snakes isn't part of the HD collection at all, so we'll never know. But as for the other HD collection games, i think some received better textures and some new shaders too, but i'd have to check on that.
JayK
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by JayK »

Yeah some of the texture sizes were increased for hd collection, but not all of them. If I was kojima productions though I wouldn't be happy with the way bluepoint handled the porting, seeing as they've encrypted their files and everything in the past bluepoint just psarc'd it all and left it at that.
cra0
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by cra0 »

lionheartuk wrote:
cra0 wrote:Annnnd we have bones
Oh man thats awesome! Fantastic work!

Will you be releasing the tool before you complete model exporting back into the game at all?

I only ask as I won't be using the tool for importing back into the game, only for checking out the models themselves.

I wish someone was this enthusiastic and quick back when Twin Snakes came out, I'd still love to replace a lot of the shoddy models in that.
Yes it will be released however when depends on some peoples opinion and when I think its working well.