Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

The Crew fat/dat archives

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
headrushmayor
beginner

Re: The Crew fat/dat archives

Post by headrushmayor »

hi all i unpacked all dat files came too 175gb's so watch out as know sound in game way to low i use FMOD FSB Extractor get all wav files out there about 167gb's files so redid them in mp3 took down too 2.6gb's still sound so good in game they sound better then wav files save alot of space. i upload them to mega.nz u download them play around with them if like i have edit sum files use Audio Speed Changer Pro to chance pitch to -6 give cars and other sound in game bit low end kick to them as well used dbpoweramp boost sound up still a lot to do to sound files as play around u see going street to fullstock cars sound same so if use Audio Speed Changer Pro chance pitch i did street stock, racing -2.5, perf -5, fullstock to -8 u hear different in game now it like it unlock sound as cars sound better. here link for files if post here.

https://mega.nz/#!cvY1TaIY!pTrAPtydFV-J ... SowcRojdsw
mono24
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by mono24 »

So, anyone can help in ponting me in the righ tdirection as to how one performs a game dump, analyze the dump to extract the file names fully to update the list, anyone?
come on guys, a link, something, as to what needs to be done, anything, yes? no? maybe? possibly?
mono24
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by mono24 »

Well... still trying to figure out how to freaking dump this game properly then to update that list for the game assets, yet still no one wants to help in how to do it right.
Still tried to Google for lots of info/research, nothing is to be found for this kind of process.
I have IDA to analyze the dump file created with task manager with in windows still nothing, come one, someone? anyone?

Ekey only mentioned that needs to be extracted from the memory dump, but that was it, no other freaking clue, once again, anyone? I want to update that list for extraction, how can I do it?
mono24
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by mono24 »

After lots of trial and error, I understood a bit how to gain access in various ways to memory dump, in order to manually build the damn list, yet still wont work fully, something else I am missing, but I cant figure out yet.

CheatEngine is a neat tool, but it requires lots and lost of unnecessary clicking here in there to even see the strings, saving them is a pain in the ass.

Using windows task manager to dump the memory is a walk in the park and then to extract the strings from it, but no matter at how many stages I dump the game loaded in the memory, the results are almost the same with only few strings additions here and there, that means its buggy to dump the strings properly and another step I must perform but cant figure out what, yet, unless that is how it works?

Using WinHex is another great tool too, but like CheatEngine to save the strings is difficult.

basically all three offer almost identical results, so Ekey, any suggestions please or anyone else?
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

First of all, there's no easy and/or "proper" way to 100% find the names. This is why nobody answers to you.

There are some possible ways, but all of them have problems, and it seemd in case of THIS particular game they are especially big.

1. make a code hack (hook) for the running game and dump the names it will request in real-time.
Problems:
- considering its an online game, you may loose your game/account
- its hard or impossible to do if the game has heavy protection
- hook will only dump files names requested by game in real time, so its no guarantee you will EVER get all files, maybe only 80% or 30% of them.

2. unpack all game files, parse and scan them for names.
Problem: it will take a lot of time to reverse game formats, maybe months or years. I checked the thread and Chipicao already tried that, and seems there are some difficulties in this.

3. Scan the memory dump.
Problem: you will hardly ever get much names with that, its the worst method.

Big problem for all ways: if the devs completely removed name usage at some point, you will never get ANY names at all since that moment. The idea is that the game DOESNT need names to run, names only slow it down, so many other engines are only using hashes, or decided to remove names and access files by hashes. For both reasons of speed and blocking people from getting files from the game.

To conclude: to try finding the names or building the map, one will at least need ALL the game files, and probably the possibility to hook/debug the running game, which is dangerous.
Ekey
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by Ekey »

daemon1 wrote: - its hard or impossible to do if the game has heavy protection
- hook will only dump files names requested by game in real time, so its no guarantee you will EVER get all files, maybe only 80% or 30% of them.
Yeah, you are absolutely right. Game protected by Denuvo and when I try to change the code to inject hook, a game just closing with message like

mono24
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by mono24 »

daemon1 wrote:ok now i understand, if you can spend years on it, loading a few thousand files is not a problem for you. I will continue answering in "the crew" thread
Thank you.
The reason I am doing this insane task, is because of the stage of the giving research/tools/options that are available thx to Ekey and Chipicao and other people who posted information.
daemon1 wrote:First of all, there's no easy and/or "proper" way to 100% find the names. This is why nobody answers to you.
At least now I know.
daemon1 wrote:make a code hack (hook) for the running game and dump the names it will request in real-time.
-Yes I gave up on that idea since being online and protected would be bad, as simple as that.
daemon1 wrote:unpack all game files, parse and scan them for names.
-already did this 5 times, in various stages, and the results where 100% there.
I parsed every single file that had geometry and material, and after a full day, on top of what was already in Ekey's records list, I was able to add few more thousands, which I was very happy with.
Total file record now are 49290 entries.
The problem is, a good number of geometry lead to non existent materials to look for required strings, which makes no sense since geometry is there but no materials, and Ekey's tool unpacks everything, I think, even if some are unknown format.
daemon1 wrote:Problem: it will take a lot of time to reverse game formats, maybe months or years. I checked the thread and Chipicao already tried that, and seems there are some difficulties in this.
-I don't think extra reverse is necessary besides finding the right internal transforms where every piece of geometry goes in the 3D space:
Basically geometry is importable in 3dsMax with no issues what so ever, textures are fully extractable and usable.
daemon1 wrote:Scan the memory dump.
-I did multiple times various stages and files are same every time and already strings are in the record list of the unpack tool, so I gave up on it.
daemon1 wrote:if the devs completely removed name usage at some point, you will never get ANY names at all since that moment.
-names might not be the big issue in comparison to no material names to know what goes where from textures, yet they all work on hashes while hashed geometry leads to material then to textures.

In conclusion, there are only two viable options left, that make sense to me at least, please correct me if am wrong or better options are doable.

Option 1: Chipicao made that XBGMover utility to move hash named geometry in its required folders/subfolders based on the material file that leads to textures who already have folder structure.

Problem: is that its only available for moving vehicle geometry, nothing else.

Solution: another batch/tool utility that would parse every geometry and look for the material inside, then all will be placed in its required folder/subfolder, thus making the process speed up by 30% at least, and Chipicao's script to be updated with internal transforms and multiple file selection not one by one, he said he'd update the Max script but never got the chance.
Textures already have folder structure and geometry can be placed there, and it should solve the dilemma as to where textures go with out much guessing.
But I know that you do not like to do third party stuff for other applications so I respect that, it is what it is.

Option 2: would be for you to apply your generous knowledge same way you do for other game maps by making your own tools that would export the geometry where it belongs in game, which is impressive, honestly, you did more things in a short period of time where others struggled years, kudos.
Ekey wrote:
daemon1 wrote: - its hard or impossible to do if the game has heavy protection
Yeah, you are absolutely right. Game protected by Denuvo and when I try to change the code to inject hook
Thank you for your presence and looking in to it, much appreciated.

PS another thought
Maybe Ekey can update his unpack tool and it can extract the geometry in correct folders while parsing materials? just saying, theoretically anything is possible.
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

After a few days of research i have some first results. This highest LOD road of 1/6 of whole map takes 180 MB ascii file.

last image in HQ:
https://imgur.com/a/DD4ZI
mono24
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by mono24 »

Daemon1 made more progress on the game map, and these images show how it looks based on his export/import tests,
no tools are made yet, more information and other progress will be available in due time.

CobraGamer
advanced

Post by CobraGamer »

Would anyone here be able to take a look at TC2's archives (maybe Ekey or Chipicao)? I'd provide the fat/dat archives of the Closed Alpha 2 privately for this purpose.

EDIT: I've found out that the original DAT Unpacker can still be used for a few of TC2's archives (although only a few files get extracted), such as the video and sound archives, so it surely isn't much of an effort to get it fully working, I think.
Ekey
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by Ekey »

Nah, I do not have.
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

CobraGamer wrote:so it surely isn't much of an effort to get it fully working, I think.
i wouldn't be so sure
CobraGamer
advanced

Post by CobraGamer »

I don't know, you're the expert

@Ekey: What do you mean?
Ekey
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by Ekey »

Unpacker for TC2 here
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

oh, thats why "only a few files get extracted". Because they use oodle too

Considering filenames, it seems maps can be extracted the same way as in the crew 1