Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

[PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4 (.MDN) [Maxscript]

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
GHzGangster
n00b

Re: [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4 (.MDN) [Maxscript]

Post by GHzGangster »

revelation wrote:i have not looked into the geom data as of yet. Mainly because i have not finished implementing everything related to mesh, texture, and animation data yet.

The gcx files are related to scripting. i have not looked into those much either. i'll see if i can find the method(s) that process geom data in MGS4 if i can. If you do happen to know of an equivalent format in MGS2, that would be even easier for me to find.
I haven't really messed with MGS2 too much, I really just installed it to see if I could find any similarities. Last thing I was going to do was re-implement the debug printing, but I need to work on MGO instead :(.

Also, Jay is slowly finding out some of the geom data, I was looking at too much at once I guess.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Do we happen to know whats in the DEMO.DAT file at all, its 12GB.

Any idea if its simply animation data that references models, or if it contains models and textures too, that're specific to the demoscenes.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Revelation, in your exploration of Twin Snakes, did you come across a font file at all? Using Dolphin I get all the text dumped out 1 by 1 for every line spoken in cutscene or codec, so I'm assuming that the font file used may just be the font that comes installed on the gamecube itself perhaps?
rensole
beginner

Post by rensole »

Hey everyone,
Unfortunately I dont have the disk space to download 25 GB of the game.
Could someone extract Metalgear Rex and Ray for me ?
I am willing to pay for the models with textures.
Acewell
VIP member
VIP member

Post by Acewell »

lionheartuk wrote:I'm personally quite happy with things as they are now, its only a few steps and isn't really much time or effort to do. Though some people want everything through noesis, because its quicker I guess, so maybe adding noesis support for it might be cool.
post some MSG4 PS3 texture samples (.seg/.txn ?) for examination and i will try to make a Noesis python script. :D
AaronTheSnob
ultra-n00b

Post by AaronTheSnob »

Okay, so I've been trying to rip Snake's model and animations from the game, and I've been successful for the most part. The only problem I have is the weird skinning weights. Is this normal, or did I do something wrong?

If it makes any difference, the model was ripped in Max 2017 from the European version of the game.
incorrectweights_4.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Portugalotaku
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Portugalotaku »

revelation wrote: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:02 am For data extracted from dat files, all the information necessary to dump things to DDS is available within the TXN and DLD/DLZ files without using Texture Finder.

i have put together a simple console app to dump all the files in a directory. Should make it a little easier to do some batch conversion.

Assumes directory structure and file names as created by my mgsextract app. There may still be some forms of the files this does not support.

Quickly done with very little error checking, so be careful. Will make a more polished version later.

Hope it helps.
I am sorry for asking this so many years later, but the program is not working. It just creates empty folders.
I do not have any way of properly converting TXN files, especially because texture finder does not let me get the alpha channels, so getting help on this would be great.
Kactusdog
ultra-n00b

Post by Kactusdog »

I am in the same boat! I will give you an update if I find a way. I recommend joining the MGSV modding discord.
JayK
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by JayK »

I've attached an updated txnextractor, this is how to use it;

you can use it by doing txnextractor.exe [txnfile] [cache_d.dlz] [cache.dlz]
or if theres just one file that doesnt use mipmaps txnextractor.exe [txnfile] [cache_nodld.dlz]
I'm not sure what tool you're using for getting files out, hopefully revel8ns one's if so you can identify the hashes of the dlz files, although they'll have the dld extension: cache_d = 65B9CC (the biggest, contains the texture at highest mip level) cache = 62196B smaller of the two, contains all the lower mips. You'll want to run it against both of these
you should get a folder output called TxnExtract which will have a hashed folder name of the txn, then hashed named dds files inside
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Portugalotaku
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Portugalotaku »

JayK wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:03 am I've attached an updated txnextractor, this is how to use it;

you can use it by doing txnextractor.exe [txnfile] [cache_d.dlz] [cache.dlz]
or if theres just one file that doesnt use mipmaps txnextractor.exe [txnfile] [cache_nodld.dlz]
I'm not sure what tool you're using for getting files out, hopefully revel8ns one's if so you can identify the hashes of the dlz files, although they'll have the dld extension: cache_d = 65B9CC (the biggest, contains the texture at highest mip level) cache = 62196B smaller of the two, contains all the lower mips. You'll want to run it against both of these
you should get a folder output called TxnExtract which will have a hashed folder name of the txn, then hashed named dds files inside
I'm sorry, but how do I use this? What does "doing txnextractor.exe [txnfile] [cache_d.dlz] [cache.dlz]" even mean? Do I have to run it via a bat.file? It keeps telling me it's not a valid application. It doesn't run the same way the txn_dumper did either.

Has anyone made any progress on an actual txn converter instead of all this console dumper nonsense? Sorry if I seem rude, but I am just immensely frustrated with the tools for this game. Nothing ever seems to work for me.
takoyaki111
advanced

Post by takoyaki111 »

amazing how a game this old doesnt have proper tools at all yet
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Rin wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:37 pm amazing how a game this old doesnt have proper tools at all yet
It has texture converters, texture extractors, animation extractor and converters, model and stage extraction, audio extraction and even tools for the videos. What more could you hope for? Thats, everything the game has basically.
Portugalotaku
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Portugalotaku »

lionheartuk wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:44 am
Rin wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:37 pm amazing how a game this old doesnt have proper tools at all yet
It has texture converters, texture extractors, animation extractor and converters, model and stage extraction, audio extraction and even tools for the videos. What more could you hope for? Thats, everything the game has basically.
Texture converters that do not work, model extractors that give broken rigging with no texture assignment and more. If you happen to have miraculously working tools that I am somehow not aware of, please do tell us, because all the tools in this thread seem to just be the same ones from years ago.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Portugalotaku wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:05 pm
Texture converters that do not work, model extractors that give broken rigging with no texture assignment and more. If you happen to have miraculously working tools that I am somehow not aware of, please do tell us, because all the tools in this thread seem to just be the same ones from years ago.
They are the same ones from years ago, I've used them a number of times, they all work.
Unless model extracting and texture extracting use the same tool, you'd expect them to not line up, its then upto the person doing the ripping to assign the textures in a 3D software of their choice.

The texture rippers work perfectly fine, I haven't used them for a long time but I know they work because I, to this day, have a number of MGS4 textures and the only texture tools are from this exact thread.

The tools are 'particular', as in, they take an exact format, and for textures I believe you need to extract a file, then convert whats extracted, then finally you get your textures, but it requires multiple steps, and yes it is a little painful I'll admit. you could try checking out the trikzme youtube channel that has a bit more information about various MGS game hacking tools, and how to use them etc.
Portugalotaku
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Portugalotaku »

lionheartuk wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:21 pm
Portugalotaku wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:05 pm

They are the same ones from years ago, I've used them a number of times, they all work.
Unless model extracting and texture extracting use the same tool, you'd expect them to not line up, its then upto the person doing the ripping to assign the textures in a 3D software of their choice.

The texture rippers work perfectly fine, I haven't used them for a long time but I know they work because I, to this day, have a number of MGS4 textures and the only texture tools are from this exact thread.

The tools are 'particular', as in, they take an exact format, and for textures I believe you need to extract a file, then convert whats extracted, then finally you get your textures, but it requires multiple steps, and yes it is a little painful I'll admit. you could try checking out the trikzme youtube channel that has a bit more information about various MGS game hacking tools, and how to use them etc.
Models coming with unassigned textures would not be a problem if texture names were not hashes and required you to check thousands of files to find the one that matches the UV's. In that scenario, it's ridiculous to not have assigned textures.
Plus, rigging is still broken.

None of the texture converters ever worked for me. All txn_dumper does is produce empty folders and txn_extractor does nothing at all. It's not helped by the fact that the instructions are immensely vague. Again, I'm sorry if I come out as rude, I am just incredibly frustrated with the tools for this game. Like Rin said, the game does not have any proper tools, only rather basic and unintuitive ones.