Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Telltale Games "Almost-All-In-One" Model Importer

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Telltale Almost-All-In-One Model Importer

Post by RandomTBush »

I just did a quickfix for the script -- I swapped out the import window for the D3DTX converter for an alternative one that lets you pick and import more than one texture file at a time. Just be wary that if it finds a file that wasn't extracted correctly (which I've noticed ttarchext.exe tends to do), it'll crap itself and you'll have to force 3DS Max to shut down before it overloads. I'll try setting up a failsafe so that won't happen (my coding ain't perfect, but I think it's something to do with the ReadFixedString command), but for now just be wary of that.

(EDIT: Whoops. I goofed with the image size detection, I had the height and width values flip-flopped. This has been fixed now.)
(EDIT 2: And another quick fix which should stop inexplicable crashes.)
(EDIT 3: Seems there's a glitch with it -- don't convert over 500 textures at a time. Convert less than that, then restart 3DS Max to prevent errors.)
VoxBombarde
ultra-n00b

Post by VoxBombarde »

Hey RTB I've just started using the script and so far its worked with pretty much anything I've thrown at it....... except these 3 models.
These models - obj_carclassic(a/b/c) give me an error when I import them (--No "+" function for undefined) and after that it imports the bones but not the mesh.

I run 3ds max 2012 64 bit if you need to know.
I really wanted this car above everything else so I hope you can help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

VoxBombarde wrote:Hey RTB I've just started using the script and so far its worked with pretty much anything I've thrown at it....... except these 3 models.
These models - obj_carclassic(a/b/c) give me an error when I import them (--No "+" function for undefined) and after that it imports the bones but not the mesh.

I run 3ds max 2012 64 bit if you need to know.
I really wanted this car above everything else so I hope you can help.
I think I fixed it now. It had something to do with the hastily-done unknown-data bypass I did in the scripting (it seemed to be the exact same size in every single model I had looked at!). I rewrote it so that it actually parses it properly and I was able to import those three models. As always, re-download the script in the first post for the fixes!
VoxBombarde
ultra-n00b

Post by VoxBombarde »

Thanks a lot! Worked like a charm! Expect a flood of Sam and Max stuff in the SFM workshop because I think it works well with the tf2niverse. :D
pepsiguy2
advanced

Post by pepsiguy2 »

Am I missing something? All textures I try to convert end up as a 0kb dds file.
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

pepsiguy2 wrote:Am I missing something? All textures I try to convert end up as a 0kb dds file.
Send me one of the .D3DTX files you're trying to convert, just so I can check to see if they were exported correctly.
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

I've updated the scripts again. I've included a version that doesn't pre-allocate the memory so that people with 32-bit 3DS Max should be able to use it now, and after checking some files that a friend sent to me I've also updated The Walking Dead Season 2 and The Wolf Among Us's importers to accomodate any "5VSM" headers it finds.

(EDIT: And I goofed. If you downloaded it before, re-download it and it should actually work this time.)
artworkplay
veteran

Post by artworkplay »

Trying to test the maxscript but I can't for the life of me find the .skl files off the extracted .ttarch2 files
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

artworkplay wrote:Trying to test the maxscript but I can't for the life of me find the .skl files off the extracted .ttarch2 files
For The Walking Dead Season 2, they are in the WalkingDead_pc_WalkingDead20*_data.ttarch2 archive. For The Wolf Among Us, it's in Fables_pc_Fables10*_data.ttarch2. Of course, the * would be a number from 1-5.
artworkplay
veteran

Post by artworkplay »

RandomTBush wrote:
artworkplay wrote:Trying to test the maxscript but I can't for the life of me find the .skl files off the extracted .ttarch2 files
For The Walking Dead Season 2, they are in the WalkingDead_pc_WalkingDead20*_data.ttarch2 archive. For The Wolf Among Us, it's in Fables_pc_Fables10*_data.ttarch2. Of course, the * would be a number from 1-5.
I had hoped it wasn't that file (WolfAmongUs) I am getting a lenc/lua file can't be decrypted error using ttarchext to extract.

EDIT my bad. I was using the wrong syntax. data had extracted without errors now.

EDIT 2 : Maxscript works beautifully for TWAU characters with single meshes. Small UV fixes are also very easy to do. Just one texture problem for me though, when exporting characters "ink/line" .d3dtx textures all I get is a black .dds file (no mask on the alpha if there is supposed to be one). Is there a workaround for this?
pepsiguy2
advanced

Post by pepsiguy2 »

RandomTBush wrote:
pepsiguy2 wrote:Am I missing something? All textures I try to convert end up as a 0kb dds file.
Send me one of the .D3DTX files you're trying to convert, just so I can check to see if they were exported correctly.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/qdra2 ... /brock.rar

Happens with any game i try.
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

Pfft, I should have known. It's pretty much the opposite of the last problem that was reported involving The Walking Dead Season 2 / The Wolf Among Us models. Basically, instead of having a header, these don't. This confused my clumsy scripting, so I've added another check, which will fix Poker Night 2's headerless textures at least. If anything else crashes, send me the problematic textures through a PM.
artworkplay wrote:EDIT 2 : Maxscript works beautifully for TWAU characters with single meshes. Small UV fixes are also very easy to do. Just one texture problem for me though, when exporting characters "ink/line" .d3dtx textures all I get is a black .dds file (no mask on the alpha if there is supposed to be one). Is there a workaround for this?
It may be because they're "paletted" DDS files. I can only get them to load up correctly in Photoshop -- Paint Shop Pro and VTFEdit both won't accept it. If you would like, I can convert the lines textures into PNG and send them to ya in a PM.

But yeah. The "Layer 2" polygon groups use the line texturing instead, which for most characters has different UV mapping (hence why I doubled it up upon importing in the first place).
pepsiguy2
advanced

Post by pepsiguy2 »

i still get a 0kb dds file, i have no idea what im doing wrong. even on the textures i uploaded for you. what the hell? Im using max 2014 if it matters.
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

pepsiguy2 wrote:i still get a 0kb dds file, i have no idea what im doing wrong. even on the textures i uploaded for you. what the hell? Im using max 2014 if it matters.
I... really don't know. I'll have to pick up a later version of 3DS Max (I've only got 2009 and 2010) and check for myself, I think they may not read the MaxScript write coding properly...

(EDIT: I have come to the conclusion that later versions of 3DS Max are royally screwed up. It just won't work in 2013 or 2015, no matter what I do... You might have to locate an earlier version (pre-2012?) of 3DS Max for this right now, I have honestly no way of knowing how to fix this. Sorry...)
Cappu
n00b

Post by Cappu »

Sometimes models are composed of multiple parts/meshes (head, legs, etc.) it is possible to import multiple files at once?

The script works great! good job!