Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Zone of Enders 1 PS2 - Research Model - MDL Format

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
denetsu
n00b

Zone of Enders 1 PS2 - Research Model - MDL Format

Post by denetsu »

Good for all. At this moment I am investigating (practicing a bit) file format for the game Zone of Enders (the first) for PS2. I've been able to locate the bytes of the models. HOWEVER for more I try to separate the bytes and get patterns, I find it very difficult to get a consistent pattern of 3 floating numbers.

This is what I have been able to achieve so far.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gh0stBlade

Re: Zone of Enders 1 PS2 - Research Model - MDL Format

Post by Gh0stBlade »

Did you manually extract the file through hex? It looks like the end has parts of another model.

It needs to be extracted properly, i already figured some stuff out already but it's useless with just 1 sample.
Click the thanks button if I helped!
denetsu
n00b

Post by denetsu »

Yes.

First, i was digging through the ram extracted by emulator PCSX2 in the savestate, but the strange thing is that after the name of many models (which could be seen on the screen at the time I made the catch) you could find the word init.pak (this not hapened in the ISO). It was as if they were group by a package or something. HOWEVER, I realized that digging in the ISO, you could find models not encrypted nor compressed. Just need to open the ISO with the hex editor and search all terminations. mdl.

Attach guess what is one of complete models. After the last byte begins the name of the next model.

Attached is an example with 3 models (in theory).

Ah! And the model viewer or extracter it's no problem. I can do it easily if i figure out the bytes order.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ares722
veteran

Post by Ares722 »

Great news,I hope finally this format will be converted properly....for Zoe and Zoe 2 maybe
Gh0stBlade

Post by Gh0stBlade »

What are you doing? You said that the .mdl files are all separate in the .ISO so upload them, why have you just pasted 3 models into a .bin file that's just useless. If you want this to work you need the original files all unpacked. You're just confusing people by providing the wrong files.
Click the thanks button if I helped!
denetsu
n00b

Post by denetsu »

C00L12345 wrote:What are you doing? You said that the .mdl files are all separate in the .ISO so upload them, why have you just pasted 3 models into a .bin file that's just useless. If you want this to work you need the original files all unpacked. You're just confusing people by providing the wrong files.

No sorry, i guess I explained wrong. The files are not separated physically in the ISO, even more, the only way to explore is to hexadecimal level. If you extract the contents of the ISO manually (eg with winrar) you will not find anything useful. You asked me a file with more examples. So I put a post with three consecutive files in a row within a BIN file. In the first post you have one model alone.

In what else I can help you?