Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Tips on income/financial support of the Game Research Forum

Read rules and news about the XeNTaX Game Discussion Forum
Csimbi
veteran

Re: Tips on income/financial support of the Game Research Fo

Post by Csimbi »

Donations are deductable from tax...
______
Csimbi
Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Post by Dinoguy1000 »

Might this be an appropriate time to look at switching hosts, as well, Mr.Mouse? I know we're having some trouble getting any support with the wiki from the current hosts, but other than that I don't know how their QoS is.

If the answer's a "yes", I'd suggest Curse, which have experience hosting gaming fora and wikis, and I could get you in touch with one of their community managers (at least, I think that's her job); Curse covers the financial and technical costs of hosting, allowing the community to focus on the content.
Welcome to Xentax!

Rules | Requests | Wiki | Discord

If you run across a post that breaks the rules, please report the post - a mod or admin will handle it from there.
DrEmuler
ultra-n00b

Post by DrEmuler »

hi im Dr.Emuler a S.T.A.R.S Modding Team Member.

Well my english is not really good but im gonna try to expose my ideas properly.

1.-Youtube adsense.
but make new account upload tutorials, or demo videos and make money with that.

2.-Enable a paypal donation system.

3.-Use ADFLY.COM in the forum links.

4.-Enable the VIP members that have special features and of course that have a monthly cost.

5.-in the last of chances sell the content :S

thats my ideas.

about the "legal" of this site in some countries modding is not a illegal action but in some countries yes.

so if the webmaster is "payng" for the host, i suggest move it to russian server or something like that and open a new google adsense account because in that country modding is not illegal.

i hope this site still open running its very useful.
goder2910
advanced

Post by goder2910 »

How about AdFly ?

In my country, people used it too much for earning money.

The AdFly will plus point when other people click a link.

Maybe we should attach "AdFly" to some download links in the forum.

But i suggest the forum should open a donation system :D
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Dazz wrote:I use a few advertisers - Intergi, who have a minimum user requirement, and CPMstar who do an alright job - better than Google did when I used them.
If you need to reduce costs, I have my own dedicated hosting server which I could offer to you at a heavily reduced rate.

While I've had a falling out MrAdults, it doesn't mean anything about this, don't worry.

I'd be more than happy to help you guys out.
While the decision of what to do about XeNTaX ad's/hosting is ultimately Mr.Mouse's (and/or the other admins here), I want nothing to do with you and don't want Noesis anywhere near you or your hosting, and I would definitely never allow you to host Noesis or anything relating to it.

I wouldn't exactly call your refusal to cease openly and vigorously violating copyright law a "falling out". You're a huge liability to Noesis and any community you touch. I won't deny that I personally hold you in disdain for your irresponsible views, but I also see you objectively as an incredibly dangerous influence. Your mentality is also openly encouraging people to redistribute copyrighted content as their own and even offer it to others who don't know where it came from. This is even a danger for indie developers that may happily accept content donations only to find out that it came from another commercial game. I also don't imagine you're quite so stupid as to be overlooking all of the *very many* harmful consequences of what you're doing, nevermind the simple fact that it's plainly illegal, and you haven't a single positive thing this theft provides that Noesis itself couldn't *legally* provide for users who legally own the content in question. This makes me question your agenda to an even greater degree.

I have no desire to continue this dialog with you, but I do have a desire to ensure that you have absolutely nothing to do with Noesis or XeNTaX. I'm not going to ban you, but I am going to make it a point to assert my opinion that you are toxic and that no one here should have anything to do with you or your site(s).
EagleEye
ultra-n00b

Post by EagleEye »

http://projectwonderful.com/ is used by The Let's Play Archive, and it stays afloat. https://projectwonderful.com/aboutthein ... uction.php

P.S. Sorry for sounding like an advertisement.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Thanks to everyone so far for some intriguing suggestions! A lot of cool options, and the t-shirt and mug thing is really a fun idea as well. We will explore the options. The website is not in any danger of shutting down at the moment, just so you know.

Some users are happy to see GoogleAds make a mistake though, judging from our "member" tempo that sent this message to us:
what a pleasure, cut off of you income, finally

"false reasons"? yeah, sure

now you need help and you won't get any

good luck selling mugs!

... and don't bother to reply, I'm not reading the inbox
finale00
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by finale00 »

Oh, mugs are a great idea.
I've been wanting to get a new one.

I see a lot of people agree with mugs :)
Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Post by Dinoguy1000 »

Mr.Mouse wrote:Thanks to everyone so far for some intriguing suggestions! A lot of cool options, and the t-shirt and mug thing is really a fun idea as well. We will explore the options. The website is not in any danger of shutting down at the moment, just so you know.

Some users are happy to see GoogleAds make a mistake though, judging from our "member" tempo that sent this message to us:
what a pleasure, cut off of you income, finally

"false reasons"? yeah, sure

now you need help and you won't get any

good luck selling mugs!

... and don't bother to reply, I'm not reading the inbox
Some folks are impossible to please. If they really enjoy being utterly unable to enjoy anything, more power to them; I certainly won't lose any sleep at night because of it. :wink:
Welcome to Xentax!

If you run across a post that breaks the rules, please report the post - a mod or admin will handle it from there.
Csimbi
veteran

Post by Csimbi »

finale00 wrote:Oh, mugs are a great idea.
I've been wanting to get a new one.

I see a lot of people agree with mugs :)
Ask yourself: Would you buy a mug every month?
______
Csimbi
AlphaTwentyThree
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by AlphaTwentyThree »

Although I'd certainly buy a mug and shirt, the last post has a high amount of truth in it.
Is there some possibility to externalize the "code" tag? I'd like to suggest AdFly together with pastebin for code. I personally wouldn't mind to go via AdFly to get QuickBMS or java code. If it's somehow possible, you could disable the AdFly link for the author of the post. To get a better readability of the posts, it would be extremely helpful if the link could directly open INSIDE the forum body so that you'll view the pastebin content like normal code as now.
If you like what you see, why not click the little Thank You button? ;) It will definitely motivate me! :)
And here's Mr.Mouse's Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s ... 8469022795 - thanks ;)
Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Post by Dinoguy1000 »

It's certainly possible, but I'd hate to see it done on phpBB, which is far from mod-friendly.
Welcome to Xentax!

sparkweb
ultra-n00b

Post by sparkweb »

MrAdults wrote:That's actually a pretty good idea. I'd love a XeNTaX shirt. And a XeNTaX mousepad. And beer mugs.
me too
it's an idea to see using sites like zazzle
or spreadshirt.
again, it would be beneficial on product sales are
tee shit, cofee mus badge etc etc ^^ :]
Ninja
veteran

Post by Ninja »

Is buying priority tickets for scripts, or temporary exclusive use of scripts, legal?
Basically buying the access to expertise for expedited solutions to novel problems.......
Membership?
I know more than a few people that come here as their first port of call to access content that gains them prestige in other areas, and I've seen that when more than a few people jump on a 3D thread, scripts are made within a few days if not hours.

Other than that I can only think of getting sponsorship from somewhere, if that were game companies it would need to be from ones who encourage modding/fanart.

Can't afford a T-shirt :(
artworkplay
veteran

Post by artworkplay »

Paypal donations boss. I may not be able plunk in some big bucks but I'll try to pinch in a few.