Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

We need your donations. Campaign 2011

Read rules and news about the XeNTaX Game Discussion Forum
Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Re: We need your donations. Campaign 2011

Post by Dinoguy1000 »

Aah, makes sense.
Welcome to Xentax!

Rules | Requests | Wiki | Discord

If you run across a post that breaks the rules, please report the post - a mod or admin will handle it from there.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Just to show the growth (also check our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/XeNTaX/143458469022795 )

Comparing April 2001 with December 2010
166885_177701932265115_143458469022795_366337_4386015_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Post by Dinoguy1000 »

:eek: Impressive!
Welcome to Xentax!

If you run across a post that breaks the rules, please report the post - a mod or admin will handle it from there.
Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Post by Dinoguy1000 »

Mr.Mouse, have you looked at Rackspace? I'm not sure how their pricing would compare with the current host/plan, but they claim 100% uptime and Mojang seems to have decided to switch to them for Minecraft...
Welcome to Xentax!

Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

NO DO NOT MENTION MINECRAFT

I am just getting on with life.....!
Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Post by Dinoguy1000 »

Mr.Mouse wrote:NO DO NOT MENTION MINECRAFT

I am just getting on with life.....!
What, you mean you quit MINECRAFT?! BLASPHEMY!!! =O
Welcome to Xentax!

RyuHayabusa
ultra-n00b

Post by RyuHayabusa »

There are much cheaper hosting solutions. Not sure what you are currently paying but this provider has reasonable prices and from what I have heard is a great host.

http://www.hawkhost.com/Shared/compare

If that doesn't work, then there are 1000's of other providers offering shared hosting. Or you may consider a VPS, though can be more costly if you are not familiar with running your own server.
lUIGUIPIETRO
veteran

Post by lUIGUIPIETRO »

It is fair to donate. The people of this community long used to decrypt files to others. When I have time I can donate.

Es justo donar. La gente de esta comunidad emplea mucho tiempo en descifrar archivos para los demás. Cuando tenga tiempo donaré lo que pueda.
redfootagebooby
ultra-n00b

Post by redfootagebooby »

@Crypton You are totally wrong, Man! Xentax.com has its own reputaion increased, now it can not go downward hosting their file to rapidshare. I admit that leeching can be controlled by PHP scripts, that is a good way to decrease traffic. But Xentax must go for donation.

@Xentax.com Answering all forum question and helping noobs is a great work! Keep up the good work! You must set your goal of donation you require for maintaining your website annually.
Set the goal please, So people can donate. I will also post this to my 12000 youtube subscribers.

I love Xentax.com
Sethioz.co.uk sent me here to discuss message i disccused in your forum.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Thanks for the thumbs up. Yes, I agree we should set a donation mark. We will do this in due time. This year, we will be safe, looks like. I will have to see how it develops. I will let you know.
Schot
ultra-n00b

Post by Schot »

Mr.Mouse wrote:Indeed, if you browse through the forum, you'll notice that a lot of people already use those 'free' hosting sites, and in fact, forum attachments are only allowed to be 256Kb in size, so bigger files will have to be presented at third party sites. However, tools and other type of software is stored by us, to ensure it is save and not resulting in 404s whenever some third party decides to remove files.

We're currently looking into the needed figure here, but as we are in an exponential phase we will have to keep track on events to see what traffic is currently needed to cover it.

An important aspect is that we've got a good relationship with our current host, and we've always been able to settle things in good faith and understanding. We're positive we can come to a satisfactory agreement with them. But, as said here, if there is a better deal elsewhere to be had (less costs, same or better hosting) then we'd have to consider moving the site there.
Oh wow. I wish I had been around before you renewed your contract with your present host. They charge much too much I think. Especially considering the site latency. I've had a few different hosts now. It;s difficult to find just the right one. I'm very happy with my present host. Going on 3 years now. Excellent priceing. Efficient servers. The guy that runs the place works very hard and has an amazing rep on some of the major admin sites. You should check his company out. MDDhosting
Schot
ultra-n00b

Post by Schot »

Something else you should consider. As much as I am surprised to read myself I think you should reconsider google ads... I fought tooth and nail against doing this on my own sites with the co-owner of my sites but when I finally gave in I saw how worth while it was/is.

My biggest issue was exposing our members to dreaded ads. I found a way though to only show the ads to guests. Anyone logged in doesn't see ads which made me very happy.

I checked your stats and you can easily make $10 a day by putting 2-3 ads on all pages. To guests only. Not an exaggeration. More likely an under-estimate. If you'd like some help getting things implemented feel free to ask me. :)
Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Post by Dinoguy1000 »

We actually used to run Google ads on the wiki, but (at least in my experience) they never seemed to work properly.
Welcome to Xentax!

Schot
ultra-n00b

Post by Schot »

I had a similar experience at the start. We gave it a try at first about 2 years ago and got minimal results. Like 5 cents a day or something, lol. So we gave up on it for a long while but after many months we tried again and saw much better results. It took a while for the revenue to "warm up". A month or two maybe but after that it was well worth the effort. Another thing is that our wiki gave great results but our forum was giving squat. It might be the inverse here. Maybe more guests visit the forum here than the wiki. It all comes down to where your traffic is the most. Oh and google rewards based on page views as well, not just clicks, so if you were getting nothing when you tried then you might have missed a bit of code somewhere. We did at first. I think we had the tracking code wrong or some such thing.

If your host provides Cpanel then check out your awstats. Better yet... Get an Analytics account. Either one will show you where your traffic is the most. Analytics is much less server intensive though since it's run offsite.

P.s.
Interestingly enough I just checked your stats from the link at the bottom of the forum, OneStat.com and sure enough almost all the traffic is to here at the forum. Just under 94%. So it's no surprise if you had minimal success from wiki ads. Which is promising news in fact.
Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Post by Dinoguy1000 »

Those are great tips, but when I said "the ads never seemed to work", I mean they literally always seemed broken. I don't know if this was just a problem with my computer, or if it had to do with how they were installed, or what, but I don't remember them ever even appearing (and before you ask, this was before I knew enough to use ad blockers or script whitelist extensions or anything of the sort... back then, I had AV/anti-malware programs, and that was about the extent of it).

Back to your tips, keep in mind that while I have server access to the wiki, I don't have similar access to the forum or main website, nor do I have access for the old Google Adsense account, the OneStat account, or even XeNTaX's account on the host site (I've never actually asked for said access, but I'm not actively interested in it (definitely wouldn't mind having it, in part or in whole, but not actively interested ;) ), and certainly wouldn't blame Mr.Mouse and Craptain if I did ask and they refused).
Welcome to Xentax!