Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep models

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Mirrorman95
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: [Request] Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep models

Post by Mirrorman95 »

Where the H did Falo go? He hasn't posted in months.
BBSFM and KH2FM+ saves are compatible with KH2.5. viewtopic.php?t=13424
ultimaespio
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by ultimaespio »

He hasn't been online since the 2nd of July. He's probably busy with real life stuff.
Zerox
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Zerox »

ChrisSquareFan wrote:I'm back from my well deserved 2 week vacation, sorry to keep you waiting.
Anyway, to make you guys feel better, I'm still studying the FBX SDK and I already started coding an application so keep watching for progress ^^.
This is the best news I've heard in a while! :mrgreen: I'm glad to see you back. Perhaps the information revelation posted will be of some use to you. I'm happy to hear of progress and I wish you the best of luck. I'd settle for any method of viewing these models with proper UV maps even if there wasn't an export function. But seen as your going for making them convert to an easily viewable format that's all the better. :D
ChrisSquareFan
advanced

Post by ChrisSquareFan »

I'm glad you are happy.

I've chosen FBX mainly because of the presence of bones. It's far better to export directly with bones then without bones.
Without bones you only get a "still" mesh, so it's not interesting; plus, the process of skinning the mesh is often tedious.

At the moment I'm integrating KH1 models in my exporter. It's better this way because i have complete info on the file format.
Zerox
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Zerox »

Ah progress is good! 8) So with the keeping of the bones is there a chance of keeping animations as well? :ninja:

And that's awesome news to hear the adding of KH1 models though they're fairly accessible already via yaz0r's viewer. Just curious but are you adding this support before or after attempting BBS models?
pixellegolas
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by pixellegolas »

fbx seems to be getting more messy and buggy with every release, at least in max, I think you should study collada and the opencollada that exist, I think it is the next fbx thingy :)
Zerox
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Zerox »

pixellegolas wrote:fbx seems to be getting more messy and buggy with every release, at least in max, I think you should study collada and the opencollada that exist, I think it is the next fbx thingy :)
This is something I must protest against. Collada (DAE) is a terrible format in many ways. There are so many alterations to the same format that importers and exporters for them can't even work with each other. And even if you did get separate importers and such for the many variations not every program exports in the same version so you can end up dealing with many versions of the same format and it gets really messy. I have had programs that exported collada models that even programs like Cinema 4D that natively support it couldn't open it because there were too many alterations in the format.

I do not intend to flame you in any way but I highly disagree that Collada is the way to go. It had a really promising start but as time goes by many will tell you that it just isn't what it was supposed to be. Even higher end programs like 3dsmax 2011 can't import Collada files.

He's already doing FBX and Autodesk has a free converter that can easily convert all the variations of FBX making it accessible to everyone with ease. It is by far the better choice in my opinion. :ninja:
ultimaespio
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by ultimaespio »

Yeah, like I can export a DAE with Blender, and it will import into 3ds max 9, but wont open again in Blender. :?

Better off with FBX, since that loads it WITH textures already applied, and bones.
ChrisSquareFan
advanced

Post by ChrisSquareFan »

fbx is not buggy, it's just that it was kinda messed up from a version.
I'll make the exporter so it will support different versions of fbx format.
About that collada thing... sounds like a weird format to me, like.. uncommon. what 3ds max are you using? i always recommend maya
btw, i used to work with 3ds max but now i cant switch back to it since i started maya XD
ultimaespio
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by ultimaespio »

I just said, 3ds max 9 xD

I've tried using Maya, I find it incredibly hard to use.
Zerox
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Zerox »

I use 3dsmax 2011 and Maya 2011. Or rather I have student licenses to both but Maya is just incredibly hard for me to navigate. Thank you so much for sticking with FBX. :] I realize this isn't your only thing in life but any idea if you'll have a working demo up for us any time soon?
ChrisSquareFan
advanced

Post by ChrisSquareFan »

Zerox wrote:I realize this isn't your only thing in life but any idea if you'll have a working demo up for us any time soon?
Yup, but for KH1, no BBS yet. Maya is not so hard to use, just look for video tutorials. When i switched to maya it took me one day to learn all the basic stuff.
Now i feel weird when i use 3D studio max, but i still love it ^^
pixellegolas
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by pixellegolas »

well the only reason I mentioned FBX as buggy is because I use a gameengine called gamecore. FBX works tip top until 3ds max came with the newer versions. Gamecore practically had to create custom fbx importers and change alot because the newer version of fbx was so different.

I really don't mind any format or prefer a certain but would be nice with a file format that does not change so much that completely new routines has to be made.

I use umodel with unreal models and the .psk .psa are tip top, really works well.

But to conclude, fbx is probably great and it was probably a version error as stated by chrissquare :)
ChrisSquareFan
advanced

Post by ChrisSquareFan »

Here's first progress:
Ares722
veteran

Post by Ares722 »

pixellegolas wrote:well the only reason I mentioned FBX as buggy is because I use a gameengine called gamecore. FBX works tip top until 3ds max came with the newer versions. Gamecore practically had to create custom fbx importers and change alot because the newer version of fbx was so different.

I really don't mind any format or prefer a certain but would be nice with a file format that does not change so much that completely new routines has to be made.

I use umodel with unreal models and the .psk .psa are tip top, really works well.

But to conclude, fbx is probably great and it was probably a version error as stated by chrissquare :)
have you tried with dae format? It can contain mesh,bone and UV cordinates, finally this format it was not so changed since the first version, so it has less compatibility problem than the Fbx format. Open collanda is a valid plugin for almost all max versions....bye