Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Horizon Zero Dawn

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
LingeringHum
ultra-n00b

Re: Horizon Zero Dawn

Post by LingeringHum »

Hello All,

I'm new here and yup as you may have guessed I a, running into a few issues and was wondering If someone could point me in the right Direction.
I have read all the pages in this thread numerous times, and think I have a grasp on the processes, but I am getting a mixed up or something isn't quite working.

For Reference I am interested in getting my hands on all of the robot models with Textures. Looking at the animations could be fun, but I am mostly focussed on looking at the meshes and all of the textures.
I have a copy of the Complete Edition on Steam (PC) installed and have been trying to work from that.

So far I have copied (DLC1.bin, Initial.bin, Remainder.bin) to a folder on my desktop. I have then tried using Daemons Tool and Decima Explorer (I use the GUI version) to generate interrogate the folder, make a res list and generate the .core files - Both methods seems to work and I get a folder with subfolders and .core files in each - happy days!

Next as I understand it, I need to extract the data from these .core files and I have been trying to use Daemons Horizon_pc.exe which I found on pg 17 of this thread. Again I am new to this, so please correct me if I am wrong anywhere, but I beleive in order to use Daemons tool, I need to place a copy of his .exe and copy of oo2core_5_win64.dll in the same folder as the .core file? I didn't have a copy of the oo2core file, so I googled it and picked up a file from dll_files.com ( I noticed everyone says there is a copy of this file in most new games, I saw horizon had oo2core3 so didn't think that would work? - Anyway, I copied the files and then started dragging each of the .core files to the Horizon_pc.exe file. After a second or two, files appeared, such as .smd and .ascii and the odd .txt files - The thing is, all of the generated files state hey are all 0KB.

Using the example from JavidWilde on pg16, I decided to try the process on the redfox model, just to see If i can get the process to work before looking at the robots. The file I am trying is :
models\characters\animals\redfox\animation\parts\redfox_lx.core - I can see the .core file is 490KB on my file.
After dragging this file to the Horizon_pc.exe, I get the following files:
redfox_lx.core_0.ascii (0KB)
redfox_lx.core_0.smd (0KB)
redfox_lx.core_materials.txt (0KB)

I do notice however that when the black (cmd?) window appears, I see the message:
Redfox_La
File not found in cache! models/characters/animals/redfox/animation/parts/redfox_lx.core stream

I find this happen on any of the .core files I have tried with exception to the models/characters/animals/redfox/texture/redfox_set.core When I drag this file onto the Horizon_pc.exe file I get a new subfolder created called (Textures) and 3 files in that (redfox_set00_type_3_dx10.dds (340KB) redfox_set01_type_1.dds (340KB) redfox_set02_type_13.dds(40.1KB) - All of these files are just black in previews? - Not really sure If they are broke or If I have to do anything else to them?
Also the other file that seems to work is models/characters/animals/redfox/animation/skeletons/skeleton_rootbone.core The files I get from this are: skeleton_rootbone.core.ascii (3KB) & skeleton_rootbone.core.smd(4KB)

Am I missing something obvious? do I have all the required files in the folder to use the tool correctly? or am I just messing the whole sequence up? Could it be the .dll file I downloaded?

Any help would be much appreciated

As I say I am just looking for the robot meshes and textures. As a 3D Artist and Animator myself, I always like to look at the things, reverse engineer some of the modelling decisions and compare my own work to others to improve.

I know it is cheeky to ask if anyone could just give me the models and textures so I am trying my best to figure this out and do the work myself. However If I cannot get this to work, would anyone be willing to share files?

Many Thanks and hope to hear from someone soon

Ryan
nightwolf1982
veteran

Post by nightwolf1982 »

oo2core_5_win64.dll needs to be in the same location as horizon_pc.exe; do the textures load in an image editor like Gimp or Photoshop?
LingeringHum
ultra-n00b

Post by LingeringHum »

Hey thanks for the reply,
Yeah I can confirm that I had a copy of that file in the same dir/folder as the .exe and .core file when I dragged it on to the .exe file. It's strange as it looks like it's trying to do something and makes the files, but they are all blank. I haven't tried to open the texture files, apart from just in photo viewer - they just showed black. I'll boot up photoshop and see if I get anything. I also just tried renaming them to .png .jpg and .tif to see if that worked but nope.

Any more ideas would be very welcome

Cheers
Ryan
itscommonera
ultra-n00b

Post by itscommonera »

Hi, please tell me is there any reason this is being read as a Trojan?
nightwolf1982
veteran

Post by nightwolf1982 »

LingeringHum wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:38 pm Hey thanks for the reply,
Yeah I can confirm that I had a copy of that file in the same dir/folder as the .exe and .core file when I dragged it on to the .exe file. It's strange as it looks like it's trying to do something and makes the files, but they are all blank. I haven't tried to open the texture files, apart from just in photo viewer - they just showed black. I'll boot up photoshop and see if I get anything. I also just tried renaming them to .png .jpg and .tif to see if that worked but nope.

Any more ideas would be very welcome

Cheers
Ryan
There may be a problem with the .core files then, either they're corrupted or missing data.
LingeringHum
ultra-n00b

Post by LingeringHum »

Hey All,
So I think I figured Out what I was doing wrong!

I went back to try and export the red fox model again and this time after I created the .core files, I took all of the core files out of the subfolders and put them directly in a main root folder along with the DLC1.bin, Initial.bin, Remainder.bin.
I made sure I had a copy of Daemons Horizon_pc.exe and a copy of oo2core_7_win64.dll ( I just renamed the _5_ copy I downloaded before)
I then dragged and dropped each .core file in succession onto the Horizon_pc.exe file and this time when it spat out files, they were no longer 0KB each.
I booted up a copy of Noesis which someone suggested was a model viwer etc and low and behold I had the fox model.
Using the advise from before in the thread, I did the text editing for the skeleton_rootbone.core.smd and redfox_lx.core_0.smd and bam, I could see in Noesis new option because the rig was now present.
I exported the model - with Rig to .fbx and then imported into Max 2017 (need to get a newer copy heh) and yup theres the mesh, rigged amd ready to rock!
I applied the textures - Needed a bit of playing as the main texture was backward (Just did a quick mesh flip horizontally in UV Unwrap and its looks fine.
Added the texture to the fur mesh and applied the alpha channel.
Setup for a quick render - Not great results as the texture looks washed out. Removed the fur mesh and texture and the base mesh again looks washed out ( the eyes are not dark, but almost grey - weird! Looks fine in the viewport with crisp dark material - may do some investigation on that, but more interested in having a go with the Robots now.

{EDIT] - worked out the washed texture issue - Just me being daft - Forgot to put the Ambient Color to Black - It was on Grey hence the washed out Look!

I know someone mentioned that the robots are more difficult, do to the destructive mesh elements which have to be attached. I'll have to go back and read the whole thread again to see If I can work it out after doing the whole skeleton.smd edits.

I quickly got the base mesh for the Long Legs into Max (yay) and then tried to add one of the panels - The panel just came in at the root 0,0,0 so I am doing something wrong

Thanks everyone for the help so far, I'm sure I'll be asking more question in due course!

Cheers

Ryan
sihuhu
ultra-n00b

Post by sihuhu »

LingeringHum wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:00 am Hey All,
So I think I figured Out what I was doing wrong!

I went back to try and export the red fox model again and this time after I created the .core files, I took all of the core files out of the subfolders and put them directly in a main root folder along with the DLC1.bin, Initial.bin, Remainder.bin.
I made sure I had a copy of Daemons Horizon_pc.exe and a copy of oo2core_7_win64.dll ( I just renamed the _5_ copy I downloaded before)
I then dragged and dropped each .core file in succession onto the Horizon_pc.exe file and this time when it spat out files, they were no longer 0KB each.
I booted up a copy of Noesis which someone suggested was a model viwer etc and low and behold I had the fox model.
Using the advise from before in the thread, I did the text editing for the skeleton_rootbone.core.smd and redfox_lx.core_0.smd and bam, I could see in Noesis new option because the rig was now present.
I exported the model - with Rig to .fbx and then imported into Max 2017 (need to get a newer copy heh) and yup theres the mesh, rigged amd ready to rock!
I applied the textures - Needed a bit of playing as the main texture was backward (Just did a quick mesh flip horizontally in UV Unwrap and its looks fine.
Added the texture to the fur mesh and applied the alpha channel.
Setup for a quick render - Not great results as the texture looks washed out. Removed the fur mesh and texture and the base mesh again looks washed out ( the eyes are not dark, but almost grey - weird! Looks fine in the viewport with crisp dark material - may do some investigation on that, but more interested in having a go with the Robots now.

{EDIT] - worked out the washed texture issue - Just me being daft - Forgot to put the Ambient Color to Black - It was on Grey hence the washed out Look!

I know someone mentioned that the robots are more difficult, do to the destructive mesh elements which have to be attached. I'll have to go back and read the whole thread again to see If I can work it out after doing the whole skeleton.smd edits.

I quickly got the base mesh for the Long Legs into Max (yay) and then tried to add one of the panels - The panel just came in at the root 0,0,0 so I am doing something wrong

Thanks everyone for the help so far, I'm sure I'll be asking more question in due course!

Cheers

Ryan
Yes, you are right, .core file path need same as .bin file.
NoireHawk
ultra-n00b

Post by NoireHawk »

I'm trying to pull out all the files related to the holograms and their animations. from PC version of game 1.0.10.4 (6260111_(44375)_win_gog)

I copied three files to separate folder (DLC1.bin , Initial.bin , Remainder.bin)
also downloaded a file named oo2core_5_win64 and renamed it, replacing 5 with 7 in the name.

So, pulled out only textures, and only one works, other 5 when opened in GIMP gives an error. Used daemon1 pc tool, decima-explorer... nothing new

folder screenshot > https://imgur.com/SkXrpuv

I tried to find PKG CUSA07319, to make the same thing but all the torrents are dead :[
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

NoireHawk wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:09 am So, pulled out only textures, and only one works, other 5 when opened in GIMP gives an error.
seems GIMP doesnt support modern textures. Find something proper to open them.
LingeringHum
ultra-n00b

Post by LingeringHum »

Hey All,

So I have been playing around with extracting the models and textures and even the animations of the robots for 2 weeks or so now and I think I have the basic premise down. - I am able to get models in 3DMax and texture them - happy days!
I am however a bit confused about one or two things and wondered if anyone else has run into them.
  1. When I extract the skeletons for some of the larger robots, such as behemoth, Thunderjaw, I have noticed that some of the bones for the destructable objects are placed in really weird positions. The the case of the thuderJaw, many of the bones for the neck section plates are set to 0 in the X plane and randomly dotted around. This means when i then come along aand snap the neckplate meshes to the helpers - most are hidden inside the main meshes and I am having to move the helpers manually and trying to line them up by eye. Is there a skeleton file that has all the bones in the correct default postion?
    bonepositions.PNG

I have included links for the skeleton_rootbone.core of the ThuderJaw that I have extracted for reference:
    .smd - https://drive.google.com/file/d/18rx_Hv ... sp=sharing
    .fbx - https://drive.google.com/file/d/17Y2-oX ... sp=sharing
    As you will be able to see on the ThunderJaws Left had side 2 of the upper neck plate bones are positioned "correctly" where as, all of the other plates are not. - Any Ideas?
  2. How are people actually getting the destructable parts to appear in the correct positions weighted. In reading the thread, some have mentioned adding the skeleton code to the start of the parts code in the .smd files and for some of the bits (such as the canisters on the neck of the behemouth) this works!, but many of the bits just appear at 0,0,0 right in the same spot as the root bone. I have then manually snapped, aligned and linked these pieces to the corresponding helper bone. Is this right or am I missing something obvious or left a step out?
  3. How are people applying the animations to the extracted models and model skelton. As mentioned following the steps outlined in this thread, I have managed to extract, both models and and animations and can import them in 3DMax. I know others are using different 3D software, but how are you applying the animations to your meshes? The only way I have managed to get results is by manually snapping/aligning and linking the weighted mesh skeleton to the animated IK/FK skeleton. As both meshes have different amount of bones and different names (I know some match) has anyone got a better suggestion on how to achieve this? I have access to 3DsMax, Maya and Blender so if another software can do this more easily, I am open all ears!
Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you all for the help and support so far
Cheers
Ryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LingeringHum
ultra-n00b

Post by LingeringHum »

Hey All,

Ok here's any even easier question - Once you extract your .core files and place them into the same folder, is there a particular sequence I should follow, of dragging them onto horizon_pc.exe, in order to get the skelton(rig) to build correctly and so that all bones (helpers) appear in the correct locations?

Also has anyone tried to export the Snapmaw (BeachLizard)? This one is very confusing as the plates and parts numbers do not seem to match the naming conventions of the rig that I have pulled out. The rig/skeleton mentions no plates and even the animated skeletons do not seem to have positions to place the destructables.

Cheers
zensiert
ultra-n00b

Post by zensiert »

Hi, im kinda lost.
this is my folder:
* DLC1.bin
* horizon.ini
* Horizon_pc.exe
* Initial.bin
* oo2core_5_win64.dll
* Remainder.bin

and the ini file holds the steam download folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Horizon Zero Dawn *with \n at the end

but the tool just runs for 2 sec and stops.
I appreciate all help.
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

tool can't just stop
must be an error message
U653748
n00b

Post by U653748 »

Greetings all, been playing the game over again to both enjoy the game and see what models i wanted to extract, while playing frozen wilds i came across the drone hangar near the dam and went looking for the drone model itself seen here: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/horiz ... 1125134448

one of the references i was able to find was a folder named "droneplatform" however upon dragging the .core file on to the horizon tool nothing happened which leads me to believe that maybe there was no model there. i did do a search for other drone references but only found the ones for the cauldrons and what would appear to be the rail parts resource you're meant to get for a quest related to the hangar, the latter came out at 0 kb. Has anyone else perhaps came across the drone in their travels among the HZD files?
Py0
ultra-n00b

Post by Py0 »

zensiert wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:05 am Hi, im kinda lost.
this is my folder:
* DLC1.bin
* horizon.ini
* Horizon_pc.exe
* Initial.bin
* oo2core_5_win64.dll
* Remainder.bin

and the ini file holds the steam download folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Horizon Zero Dawn *with \n at the end

but the tool just runs for 2 sec and stops.
I appreciate all help.
I'm having the same problem, even tried copying the .bin files to another computer but same result.
I have tried oo2core_x_win64.dll versions 3 (from game), 5, 6, 7 and also renaming all versions to _5 and _7 but no luck with either the original Horizon.exe or Horizon_pc.exe.
All files are in the one folder, and I put the path in horizon.ini as well.
Also tried in the game Packed_DX12 folder.

The error is always:

Code: Select all

Unhandled Exception: System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Add(TKey key, TValue value)
   at ?????????????????????????????????????????.?????????????????????????????????????????(String[] )
I've tried the previous suggestions in this thread but nothing seems to work.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!