Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Telltale Games "Almost-All-In-One" Model Importer

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
mcemily
ultra-n00b

Re: Telltale Games "Almost-All-In-One" Model Importer

Post by mcemily »

Konnie wrote:Hey guys, I'm having problems with ttarchext.. I used it before to extract GoT files and it worked perfectly but ever since I deleted it and now wanting to get Guardians of the Galaxy models, when I run the program (ttarchext.exe), it just opens for 1 second and closes not allowing me to view the game ID, etc.
Anyways I can go around this or fix it?
Thank you!
What I did was to create a batch file. I've actually got two. One is just to see the games list and so on, to get the game numbers and the option letter codes I need.

Open notepad and type this:
ttarchext.exe
pause

Save the file as a .bat file (I called mine ttg_games_info.bat). Then drop this .bat file in the same folder as ttarch.exe. Instead of running ttarch.exe, double-click this batch file to run it instead. It will run ttarch.exe for you, but the window will stay open so you can actually see the games list and so on (you'll have to scroll up a bit when the window opens).

The second batch file has the actual extraction info (source file location, output location, the game number, etc.) You'll need to extract both data.ttarch2 and txmesh.ttarch2 files in order to get all the files you need. You can either edit one batch file as you go, switching from data to txmesh, or you can create separate ones. Your call.

I don't know what GotG's number is (the version of ttarch.exe I have only goes up to TWD:Michonne, which is 59), but my guess would be either 60 or 61, so your batch file to extract the data archive (maybe call it extract_data_files.bat) might read:
ttarchext.exe -m 60 "location\of\file\you\want\to\extract\name_of_file_data.ttarch2" "location\you\want\to\save\extracted\files"

And your batch file to extract the txmesh archive (maybe call it extract_mesh_files.bat) might read:
ttarchext.exe -m 60 "location\of\file\you\want\to\extract\name_of_file_txmesh.ttarch2" "location\you\want\to\save\extracted\files"

Obviously, you'll need to replace the text within the "" to actual file locations. And if 60 is the wrong number try 61. These batch files work like the first one. Instead of running ttarch.exe, double-click the batch file and it'll open ttarch.exe for you and extract the files to the location you specifed.

Hope this explanation made sense!
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

Tydeus wrote:
Konnie wrote:when I run the program (ttarchext.exe), it just opens for 1 second and closes not allowing me to view the game ID, etc. Anyways I can go around this or fix it?
Start > Run/search and then type in "CMD" without the quotations and drag and drop ttarchext.exe on to it. I dont think GotG appears on the list though, at least not the version I have.
Yeah, GotG's not programmed into it yet, but the key for it was posted here.
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

Aaaaaaaaaalmost done revising the older importers now. The only thing I need to do for those is figure out how the normals are supposed to be read (2 bytes for three values? This is gonna take a while), and then I can upload the proper update for the script. I even fixed up the problem with various models in Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People Episode 1:
Top is before, bottom is after. For some reason, a bunch of models in that game use triangle strips all of a sudden (and only for like 20-30 polygons out of the entire model), when none of Telltale's other games do (well, out of the ones supported at least). Thankfully one of the normally-unused header sections helped me out with that. And I also optimized the importer so well that the one function now works for 13 games/episodes at once (Hold'em, both of Bone's episodes, CSI episodes 3 and 4, the entirety of Sam & Max Season 1, and Season 2 episodes 1 and 2) instead of those all being different options, so that's pretty cool (and helps cut down the near-redundancy).

(EDIT: Well, the normals are certainly annoying to work with. Trying to figure out the pattern here, using a sphere (light_point.d3dmesh) as a reference point. Hrm...)

Code: Select all

[1,0,0] - 0x1FFF - 0001 1111 1111 1111
[-1,0,0] - 0x5F80 - 0101 1111 1000 0000
[0,1,0] - 0x7FBF - 0111 1111 1011 1111
[0,-1,0] - 0x003F - 0000 0000 0011 1111
[0,0,1] - 0x1FBF - 0001 1111 1011 1111
[0,0,-1] - 0x5FBF - 0101 1111 1011 1111

[0.25,0.951057,0.181636] - 0x3DCF - 0011 1101 1100 1111

[-0.25,0.951057,0.181636] - 0x3DAF - 0011 1101 1010 1111
[0.25,-0.951057,0.181636] - 0x01CF - 0000 0001 1100 1111
[0.25,0.951057,-0.181636] - 0x7DCF - 0111 1101 1100 1111

[-0.25,-0.951057,0.181636] - 0x01AF - 0000 0001 1010 1111
[0.25,-0.951057,-0.181636] - 0x41CF - 0100 0001 1100 1111
[-0.25,0.951057,-0.181636] - 0x7DAF - 0111 1101 1010 1111

[-0.25,-0.951057,-0.181636] - 0x41AF - 0100 0001 1010 1111
(EDIT 2: Nearly there! I figured out how to calculate the X and Y normal positions, but I'm stuck on the Z, which makes it look broken from the front but fine from the back.)
ImageImage
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

Ah, I was going to write down which models I found faulty in the older games I worked on. I havent got through that many Walking Dead season 1 props/maps but I've found one or two problems if you want to have a look. There's maybe 4 character models in season 2 I found to be an issue too.

I can't say I've bothered with normal maps, they dont seem to make that much difference to me xD I probably should maybe.
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

Tydeus wrote:Ah, I was going to write down which models I found faulty in the older games I worked on. I havent got through that many Walking Dead season 1 props/maps but I've found one or two problems if you want to have a look. There's maybe 4 character models in season 2 I found to be an issue too.

I can't say I've bothered with normal maps, they dont seem to make that much difference to me xD I probably should maybe.
Well, if you can make a list of 'em for me to check, that'd be helpful so I can make sure I've squashed whatever bugs are left in the importer before I upload the next revision (which might be a while, still).
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

RandomTBush wrote:
Tydeus wrote:Ah, I was going to write down which models I found faulty in the older games I worked on. I havent got through that many Walking Dead season 1 props/maps but I've found one or two problems if you want to have a look. There's maybe 4 character models in season 2 I found to be an issue too.

Well, if you can make a list of 'em for me to check, that'd be helpful so I can make sure I've squashed whatever bugs are left in the importer before I upload the next revision (which might be a while, still).
At the moment with TWD season 1, I've only managed to get through the first episode prop and map wise, but I did jump to episode 4 and 5 to steal things from the Savannah map so the list is pretty short.

Season 1 is just texture issues.

Season 1 Episode 1
obj_sawhand
obj_copcar
obj_copcarcrash
adv_motorinn_meshesa
adv_motorinn_meshesd

Episode 4
adv_savannahstreets_meshesd

Episode 5
obj_boathouse105

I think a few pages back someone had an issue with the savannah sewer map textures too.

Season 2 Episode 1:
sk56_clementineFlashback
sk54_troy
sk54_troy_gun

Episode 3:
sk54_carver203_headDamageA
sk54_carver203_gun

Episode 4:
sk18_raccoon
sk54_nickZombie_headDamageA to C

I'm a bit of a noob, but I think it's weight issues with these. Rotate a few parts and you'll not miss it. Flashback Clem's hair is the problem, if you rotate bone5 on the raccoon it sort of splinters a lot. With Carver and nickZombie I loaded up their extra heads, it's definitely (maybe) their damaged heads.

With Troy, it's more of the same, but the gun in the holster wouldn't map correctly, unless I was using the wrong texture. I had the same issue with Jane and Carver's revolver too, so maybe it's just me getting the wrong texture.
Escope12
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Escope12 »

Tydeus wrote:
RandomTBush wrote:

At the moment with TWD season 1, I've only managed to get through the first episode prop and map wise, but I did jump to episode 4 and 5 to steal things from the Savannah map so the list is pretty short.

Season 1 Episode 1
obj_sawhand
obj_copcar
obj_copcarcrash
adv_motorinn_meshesa
adv_motorinn_meshesd

Episode 4
adv_savannahstreets_meshesd

Episode 5
obj_boathouse105

I think a few pages back someone had an issue with the savannah sewer map textures too.

Season 2 Episode 1:
sk56_clementineFlashback
sk54_troy
sk54_troy_gun

Episode 3:
sk54_carver203_headDamageA
sk54_carver203_gun

Episode 4:
sk18_raccoon
sk54_nickZombie_headDamageA to C

I'm a bit of a noob, but I think it's weight issues with these. Rotate a few parts and you'll not miss it. Flashback Clem's hair is the problem, if you rotate bone5 on the raccoon it sort of splinters a lot. With Carver and nickZombie I loaded up their extra heads, it's definitely (maybe) their damaged heads.

With Troy, it's more of the same, but the gun in the holster wouldn't map correctly, unless I was using the wrong texture. I had the same issue with Jane and Carver's revolver too, so maybe it's just me getting the wrong texture.
Have you tried it with Doug from Episode 1 of Season 1?
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

Escope12 wrote:Have you tried it with Doug from Episode 1 of Season 1?
He's not my type, *peter griffin laugh* but yeah, I didnt have any problem with the season 1 models other than David, but RTB fixed that for me :D I've shared them all on my deviantart page, they all seem to work! http://akandrov.deviantart.com/

obj_sawhand was easy enough for me to fix, it took a while though.
before: https://puu.sh/u1ksV/fad319a148.jpg
after: https://puu.sh/u1HVy/f93941efa1.png

and I sort of built a police car https://puu.sh/u3Fgn/1a7a51e9ef.png but I'm probably missing something. :P
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

Tydeus wrote:At the moment with TWD season 1, I've only managed to get through the first episode prop and map wise, but I did jump to episode 4 and 5 to steal things from the Savannah map so the list is pretty short.

*list*

*another list*

Have you been using the recent WIP script for those? Looks like I've already fixed those issues. :P (The UV mapping problems in particular with the first TWD season were definitely because they used a different type, but the script should support those now.)

And the texture for Troy's gun seems to be obj_pistolColtPython, as it's the only one that matches the UV mapping.
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

RandomTBush wrote:Have you been using the recent WIP script for those? Looks like I've already fixed those issues. :P (The UV mapping problems in particular with the first TWD season were definitely because they used a different type, but the script should support those now.)

And the texture for Troy's gun seems to be obj_pistolColtPython, as it's the only one that matches the UV mapping.
Most were before the new script, season 1 in 2015 and season 2 was finished the day you uploaded the script :D I didn't actually know season 1/2 and the other games were working with the new script, I never tried!

I'll go look :P
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

Tydeus wrote:
RandomTBush wrote:Have you been using the recent WIP script for those? Looks like I've already fixed those issues. :P (The UV mapping problems in particular with the first TWD season were definitely because they used a different type, but the script should support those now.)

Most were before the new script, season 1 in 2015 and season 2 was finished the day you uploaded the script :D I didn't actually know season 1/2 and the other games were working with the new script, I never tried!

I'll go look :P
Don't blame ya for not knowing, I kinda snuck it in not too long ago when I was doing rapid-fire updates, heh.
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

RandomTBush wrote:Don't blame ya for not knowing, I kinda snuck it in not too long ago when I was doing rapid-fire updates, heh.
Ah! I missed that one :P you've been busy! Everything works! and you even made it so the season 1 alphas are transparent, that saves even more time! Does it make any different to use merge or split other than creating separate layers btw?
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

Tydeus wrote:Does it make any different to use merge or split other than creating separate layers btw?
Nah, not really. The "split" option's mainly there for debugging purposes now, since it's good for checking if models have more than one UV mapping layer, or for anyone who might have preferred it the old way. Frankly, I'm not even sure if there's a difference speed-wise between importing with and without the UVs in general, the option's mainly there "just because". So yeah, it's pretty much unnecessary to change it.

Either way, it wouldn't make that much of a difference for character models, since any extra layers are normally identical since they're used for the "detail" textures more often than not -- The Wolf Among Us is the only one that I can think of that it's necessary to use since it's got differences with its UVs for those. Map models, on the other hand, would use it for their lightmaps texture... but I think there's something else that's not being calculated correctly for those since the UVs don't line up, so I'll have to take another look at it later (if there's enough demand, personally I feel getting a .SCENE importer is more important, but that'll happen later).
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

RandomTBush wrote:Either way, it wouldn't make that much of a difference for character models, since any extra layers are normally identical since they're used for the "detail" textures more often than not -- The Wolf Among Us is the only one that I can think of that it's necessary to use since it's got differences with its UVs for those. Map models, on the other hand, would use it for their lightmaps texture... but I think there's something else that's not being calculated correctly for those since the UVs don't line up, so I'll have to take another look at it later (if there's enough demand, personally I feel getting a .SCENE importer is more important, but that'll happen later).
Oh, so the details on the Wolf Among Us uses them? I've been adding the layers together within photoshop, but TWAU have them all weird and all over the place. If thats the case that'll be the next thing I play with! :D

A scene importer would be something I'd be interested in, wouldnt that just be the same as loading the map meshes though? Oh and since TWD season 2+ doesnt have the textures pre-applied, is there any way to tell what texture goes where other than just guessing?
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

Tydeus wrote:Oh, so the details on the Wolf Among Us uses them? I've been adding the layers together within photoshop, but TWAU have them all weird and all over the place. If thats the case that'll be the next thing I play with! :D

A scene importer would be something I'd be interested in, wouldnt that just be the same as loading the map meshes though? Oh and since TWD season 2+ doesnt have the textures pre-applied, is there any way to tell what texture goes where other than just guessing?
Yeah. Take Bigby's face model, for example, and you'll see exactly what I mean by that:
Left is the default, right is on the 3rd UV layer (for the "inkLinesHead" texture, for some reason there isn't a second layer). Frankly I'd use the Render to Texture method in 3DS Max to transfer the latter onto the main texture.

And yeah, the scene importer would basically do that, but it would also move all of the parts into the right spots, and import map props and such. Hopefully it shouldn't be too complex to figure out. As for the textures, not right now unfortunately, but if I ever figure out what kind of method they use to convert the texture names into the 8-byte hex doohickeys, I can start setting up a list to compare it to (like I have for the standard bones currently).