Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Telltale Games "Almost-All-In-One" Model Importer

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Telltale Almost-All-In-One Model Importer

Post by RandomTBush »

jayko wrote:
RandomTBush wrote:Just (and finally) figured out how to fix things being improperly rigged in 3DS Max 2012 and above (2015's specific rigging issues were the most annoying to fix), so that'll be in the next update, too.
I saw the words 'finally' and 'fix' and my heart jumped into my throat... but unfortunately it wasn't the fix I was praying for XD

Fortunately for me, however, I use the 2010 version so rigging's always been fine on my end, which is nice!
Yeah, hence why I normally referred others to using an older version, thankfully I won't have to now. It amazes me how Autodesk manages to break things with the later versions -- first it was 2012/2013 alphabetizing the bones and therefore breaking the arrays, then it was 2015/2016 automatically assigning extra rigging to whatever bones were nearby (can't say much about 2014, nobody I know uses it and I don't have it either). It almost seems like they're breaking things on purpose sometimes. Sheesh.

But yeah, I'll get back to figuring out the UV mapping shenanigans hopefully soon. I'll probably have to resort to modifying the various float values in the headers until I find something that breaks the UVs in-game before I'm able to finally fix the script and release it.
Maximmum wrote:Hi RandomTBush, i want to ask you, is it possible and could you try to make a option to not only export the model but also, import the model in Telltale Engine to d3dmesh and skl format, because that would have been really awesome :]
Not for a long time. There are way too many unknowns in the headers for the models, and with the way the materials and bone names and such are hashed, it's pretty much impossible to make custom models without reverse-engineering the model format completely, or by getting Telltale's tools somehow.
Maximmum
advanced

Post by Maximmum »

Maximmum wrote:Hi RandomTBush, i want to ask you, is it possible and could you try to make a option to not only export the model but also, import the model in Telltale Engine to d3dmesh and skl format, because that would have been really awesome :]
Not for a long time. There are way too many unknowns in the headers for the models, and with the way the materials and bone names and such are hashed, it's pretty much impossible to make custom models without reverse-engineering the model format completely, or by getting Telltale's tools somehow.[/quote]

Damn, that's really shame :cry: , i think we need a hacker who can stole Telltale Engine from them (and also all beta versions of all their games, especially Wolfy with it's Brannigan storyline, and TWDS2 with it's dark atmosphere, stolen by Sam hat and fishing at end of ep 1 and many other things i could list them forever)
jayko
advanced

Post by jayko »

Hopefully it won't be too long now - I'll be starting work soon provided all goes well and I was hoping to have time to work with the scripts ; _ ;
Escope12
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Escope12 »

How can I blend Kenny's Body texture with his Body detail texture in 3DS Max?
meganmi
advanced

Post by meganmi »

The thing that bothers me the most is the release of GotG, which would most likely have a different format than Batman/TWD3. :eek:
jayko
advanced

Post by jayko »

Escope12 wrote:How can I blend Kenny's Body texture with his Body detail texture in 3DS Max?
The easiest way to do it is open up both textures in an image editing program (GIMP/Paint.NET/Photoshop etc.) and set the detail texture's blend mode to 'multiply', then export the whole thing as a separate image and use that as the texture.
meganmi wrote:The thing that bothers me the most is the release of GotG, which would most likely have a different format than Batman/TWD3. :eek:
God yeah, let's hope that comes as a separate update to the TWDM/TWD3 stuff XD
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

jayko wrote:God yeah, let's hope that comes as a separate update to the TWDM/TWD3 stuff XD
Yeah, the Guardians of the Galaxy format (whatever it is) will have to wait until I get the others done first, needless to say.
jayko
advanced

Post by jayko »

RandomTBush wrote:
jayko wrote:God yeah, let's hope that comes as a separate update to the TWDM/TWD3 stuff XD
Yeah, the Guardians of the Galaxy format (whatever it is) will have to wait until I get the others done first, needless to say.
It's almost like Telltale changes up their format every game just to mess with you - though, I suppose that's just them implementing anti-hacking measures or something, like with how they prevented Texmod from working with the Borderlands and Game of Thrones games.
AstroStormz
advanced

Post by AstroStormz »

jayko wrote:
RandomTBush wrote:
It's almost like Telltale changes up their format every game just to mess with you - though, I suppose that's just them implementing anti-hacking measures or something, like with how they prevented Texmod from working with the Borderlands and Game of Thrones games.
im just here waiting for it to work with batman o3o
jayko
advanced

Post by jayko »

AstroStormz wrote:im just here waiting for it to work with batman o3o
iirc batman and twd3 have the same model format, so batman should work with the next update too ; )
Konnie
ultra-n00b

Post by Konnie »

Hello, I have recently got around to using the importer for Game of Thrones, it all works fine but I have no idea how I can convert the .d3dtx files into .dds.

I have attempted to find the download for TTG tools as many people suggested it but I couldn't find it and I have no idea how to work QuickBMS (I'm a noobie)

Thank you.
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

Konnie wrote:Hello, I have recently got around to using the importer for Game of Thrones, it all works fine but I have no idea how I can convert the .d3dtx files into .dds.

I have attempted to find the download for TTG tools as many people suggested it but I couldn't find it and I have no idea how to work QuickBMS (I'm a noobie)

Thank you.
I've updated the first post with the QuickBMS script for that which I linked to a few pages ago (the abbreviations should give away what game it's for, you'd want to use "Telltale_D3DTX_TftBL_GoT_MCSM" for that). Dunno why I didn't do so earlier.

Either way, QuickBMS is easy to use. Double-click the program, then select the script you want to use (it'll be a .BMS file, same one I mentioned above), then the files you want to convert (the ones with .D3DTX extensions), and finally the folder you want to extract the files to, in that order. If done correctly, you should have .DDS files in the output folder.
jayko
advanced

Post by jayko »

I'm like 99.9% certain, but I just want to check the BMS scripts will work for the textures in TWD3 Ep3 when it's released tomorrow? I'm pretty sure that will be the case unless they happen to drastically alter how the textures are set up for whatever reason.

(Also is the UV mapping still being troublesome?)
jayko
advanced

Post by jayko »

jayko wrote:I'm like 99.9% certain, but I just want to check the BMS scripts will work for the textures in TWD3 Ep3 when it's released tomorrow?
Okay I just checked and it doesn't appear to be working (again). Bloody Telltale changing up layouts and stuff : P
Escope12
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Escope12 »

Does anyone have the normal map body texture for Doug?