Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Telltale Games "Almost-All-In-One" Model Importer

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Telltale Almost-All-In-One Model Importer

Post by RandomTBush »

Escope12 wrote:Is anyone having trouble with the characters jaw bones from The Walking Dead Season 2?
If it's related to the jaw bones being separate from the lower lip bones and whatnot, that's normal. There shouldn't be any problems with importing bone structures since there's only so much information they carry (almost all of which read by my script, including the parenting).
Escope12
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Escope12 »

RandomTBush wrote:
Escope12 wrote:Is anyone having trouble with the characters jaw bones from The Walking Dead Season 2?
If it's related to the jaw bones being separate from the lower lip bones and whatnot, that's normal. There shouldn't be any problems with importing bone structures since there's only so much information they carry (almost all of which read by my script, including the parenting).
Oh okay. I was gonna make Facial Expressions for Kenny since I'm planning on importing him over Snake for SSBB.
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

Escope12 wrote:
RandomTBush wrote:
Oh okay. I was gonna make Facial Expressions for Kenny since I'm planning on importing him over Snake for SSBB.
Just use the "Select and Link" button to attach 'em all to the jaw bone and manipulate 'em that way, it'd be much easier to pose that way.
Cappu
n00b

Post by Cappu »

Escope12 wrote:Do you have a tutorial on how to do it? With images maybe?
Yes, I have the tutorial, but it is in Russian. I tried to write it in simple words, so Google-translator translates it with almost no semantic errors: link.
Last edited by Cappu on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maximmum
advanced

Post by Maximmum »

Cappu wrote:
Escope12 wrote:Do you have a tutorial on how to do it? With images maybe?
Yes, I have the tutorial, but it is in Russian. I tried to write it in simple words, so Google-translator translates it with almost no semantic errors: link.
Here is a bit better translation:
1. Instruments

To extract 3D Models from Telltale Games archives you will need atleast two instruments:

1) Telltale archives extractor "Telltale TTARCH files extractor/rebuilder" from Luigi Auriemma. This is cmd.exe program. It almost always updates, by it's author, you can always find the latest version here: http://aluigi.altervista.org/papers.htm#others-file

"Telltale TTARCH files extractor/rebuilder" Download link is in the description of it's website

2) RandomTBrush script for 3DS MAX, that allows you to import meshes and their armature. Not all TTG games are work with this script. The list is here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11687

Besides script for 3DS MAX, in archive you can also find a program called "QuickBMS". You will need this scripts and the program itself for convert textures from the latest TTG games. If you can't "QuickBMS" in archive, then most likely scenario is that the creator has update the archive and create a different link for it, look for the latest message on the forum or the first pages to ind new links for it.

You can download "QuickBMS" here: http://aluigi.altervista.org/quickbms.htm

Just like the script for 3DS Max, scripts for "QuickBMS" are different for different games, so you should look better in their descriptions.

Just like additional instrument to work with models in 3DS MAX you might also need to download a script called "Quadrangulate". All meshes, that you import in 3DS MAX will be divided in to triangles, This is okay for games that was optimized to use in Video Games. But if you planned to use this models for different purposes, for example, to render animation, then it will be much better for you if you divide models in rectangles. And exactly for this you might need this script. It's free, and you can download it here:
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/quadrangulate

Translated by me Maximmum, a.k.a. Rhysha, a.k.a. Max, a.k.a. Alien!
jayko
advanced

Post by jayko »

RandomTBush wrote:I'm still here thankfully, but I unfortunately haven't had much luck with fixing the UV mapping issue yet. But I'm obviously not gonna let that defeat me since it's the only thing left that I need to fix for the importer before I can release the update.

Good luck with your job interview tomorrow!
Thanks, man - it's looking good so far, just gotta wait for a call back now.

I have to say I admire your determination to find a solution to the problem; it's very encouraging. I assume it's a trial-and-error process and probably quite tedious so I'm grateful you're taking the time to do that. If I were in your place it probably would've beat me long ago XD
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

Hey! Looking good so far. I don't suppose you have any plans to go back to TWD season 1 afterwards do you? There are a bunch of issues with various props/scenery. Some of it isnt that hard to work around at the moment, but there's various parts of maps that are slightly dodgy lol.
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

Tydeus wrote:Hey! Looking good so far. I don't suppose you have any plans to go back to TWD season 1 afterwards do you? There are a bunch of issues with various props/scenery. Some of it isnt that hard to work around at the moment, but there's various parts of maps that are slightly dodgy lol.
Yeah, I do have plans to go back and update/fix up other parts of the script later (like adding normals and such), but it won't be in the same update as the Batman/TWD3 implementation... whenever I get that fully figured out, that is. Just be sure to let me know which model files in particular have the problems so I can use those as a reference point.
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

Yeah thats cool, like I said a lot of the stuff have a simple work around. A lot of the texture faults can be fixed using a combination of UVW Mapping and Unwrap UVW and others can be replaced using other props, but there are a bunch of stuff that I just give up on lol. I'll let you know once you get to that stage! :) I should maybe make a list.
Maximmum
advanced

Post by Maximmum »

Hi RandomTBush, i want to ask you, is it possible and could you try to make a option to not only export the model but also, import the model in Telltale Engine to d3dmesh and skl format, because that would have been really awesome :]
jayko
advanced

Post by jayko »

Man the UV mapping seems to be a pain. I still have faith! ;_;
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

jayko wrote:Man the UV mapping seems to be a pain. I still have faith! ;_;
I was messing with the Episode 5 Boat Shed yesterday (obj_boathouseinterior105.d3dmesh), I was trying to get all the props textures to line up. I did everything okayish, and when I got to the shelving unit I gave it up as a bad job. Luckily the episode 4 shed works, theres just no props inside. I think the props are in other maps though so thats fine.
jayko
advanced

Post by jayko »

Tydeus wrote:
jayko wrote:Man the UV mapping seems to be a pain. I still have faith! ;_;
I was messing with the Episode 5 Boat Shed yesterday (obj_boathouseinterior105.d3dmesh), I was trying to get all the props textures to line up. I did everything okayish, and when I got to the shelving unit I gave it up as a bad job. Luckily the episode 4 shed works, theres just no props inside. I think the props are in other maps though so thats fine.
I was referring to the next update, but yeah... the environment models can be a pain in the bum.
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

Just (and finally) figured out how to fix things being improperly rigged in 3DS Max 2012 and above (2015's specific rigging issues were the most annoying to fix), so that'll be in the next update, too.
jayko
advanced

Post by jayko »

RandomTBush wrote:Just (and finally) figured out how to fix things being improperly rigged in 3DS Max 2012 and above (2015's specific rigging issues were the most annoying to fix), so that'll be in the next update, too.
I saw the words 'finally' and 'fix' and my heart jumped into my throat... but unfortunately it wasn't the fix I was praying for XD

Fortunately for me, however, I use the 2010 version so rigging's always been fine on my end, which is nice!