Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Resident Evil animations

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Resident Evil animations

Post by daemon1 »

Resident Evil 5 animations (test tool)

Usage: Re5Anims <LMT name> <MOD name>

Or you can just drop LMT file onto the tool. If you do that, or use only 1 parameter, it will search for file named model.mod for a model. Incorrect model will produce broken animations.

To attach animations to model, it must have bones named like bone0, bone1, etc. I used latest NOESIS export to FBX. You must create IK constraints connecting right toe to "atarget1" bone, left toe to "atarget2", with chain length 3, both position and rotation. So IK chain includes: toe, heel, knee. No idea how its done in maya or max, but hopefully the same as in blender.

Consider it a test tool, because not optimized, just interpolates all keys to all frames (which leads to bigger files), also many things are not supported:
- no scale. Some animations use scales, maybe muscle work, some monster fx, etc
- only one type of IK (legs). Some anims have hands IK, these will NOT work correctly, but I've only seen this is static poses
- no tag bones exported. These are for weapons or some other purposes.

I was also thinking about an option to export all motions as separate files. Let me know if will be useful.

Videos: https://youtu.be/EhQ-6RW3sj0 https://youtu.be/X4tXTpJacXk https://youtu.be/J9VyHnQ0crw https://youtu.be/te2Vvbex_hw https://youtu.be/YZio9sT7CTc https://youtu.be/WcU4mTFugKM

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by daemon1 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Re: Resident Evil animations

Post by daemon1 »

Tool for DMC4, made in 2010 (not finished)

viewtopic.php?p=41809#p41809

Anyone who have max check if its working.
Last edited by daemon1 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

This is on my Noesis todo list, but it's way down there below the Souls games under the "other people already did it" category. It's been on there for years, though, and I don't remember at all what gave me the notion that it was already done, and there are no format specs in my usual storage places. Do post the specs if you find them somewhere. (I don't have a valid Max license anymore myself, so can't test the above tool)
Gh0stBlade

Post by Gh0stBlade »

MrAdults wrote:This is on my Noesis todo list, but it's way down there below the Souls games under the "other people already did it" category. It's been on there for years, though, and I don't remember at all what gave me the notion that it was already done, and there are no format specs in my usual storage places. Do post the specs if you find them somewhere. (I don't have a valid Max license anymore myself, so can't test the above tool)
PMed :P
Click the thanks button if I helped!
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

Gh0stBlade wrote:PMed :P
Note that these specs don't exactly corresppond to what I see in RE5 .lmt files. MotionInfo is different, and some types too.
PredatorCZ
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by PredatorCZ »

DMC4Motion works, BUT its not doing bone retarget. Model is exported from Noesis.
I tested it on DMC4 (original one), models with only one bone works fine.
I also tested it on Lost Planet but it seems Lost Planet have some new block types, so its not working, didn't tested it for RE5 yet.
Last edited by PredatorCZ on Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PredatorCZ
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by PredatorCZ »

When I use Dmc4Motion on Mod2Max it works.
Dmc4Motion also converts ONLY some blocks from LMT.

rubening
beginner

Post by rubening »

o my god, my wishes coming true:D

daemon1 wrote:I have all the information to start a tool to export animations. Now question is, which game to start from? 5? Or maybe other one will be better? I'm asking because I never know how much time I can spend on this.
please resident evil 5.

well i didnt know the tool of dmc animation to 3dmax already existed and worked...

sorry for the extra work. but can someone confirm the re5 animations are working with it?

i exported teh "SCRIPTS"(ms files) from the re5 model+motion

now how should i run the script, i should import a model first?

ahrgg i forgot the script to import mod files into max is not working for 3dmax2015 gotta try to get the 2013
PredatorCZ wrote:When I use Dmc4Motion on Mod2Max it works.
Dmc4Motion also converts ONLY some blocks from LMT.
predator, is the script working for 2017 version? i mean the re5 model import script. or havent tried yet?
Last edited by rubening on Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PredatorCZ
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by PredatorCZ »

I wouldn't count on dmc4motion, program was still in development, but it never got into some usefull stage.
Generated scripts are missing some vital parts, especially positions, global transformations and maybye more.

To successfully do the thing, first you need to import model script (it can take quite long, depends on size of generated ms), and then only ONE animation.
rubening
beginner

Post by rubening »

PredatorCZ wrote:I wouldn't count on dmc4motion, program was still in development, but it never got into some usefull stage.
Generated scripts are missing some vital parts, especially positions, global transformations and maybye more.

To successfully do the thing, first you need to import model script (it can take quite long, depends on size of generated ms), and then only ONE animation.
i got an error when running the script in 3dmax 2015. the script of one of the animations from re5.
PredatorCZ
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by PredatorCZ »

You need to use Mod2Max.exe to get propper model for animations to work.
Gh0stBlade

Post by Gh0stBlade »

daemon1 wrote:
Gh0stBlade wrote:PMed :P
Note that these specs don't exactly corresppond to what I see in RE5 .lmt files. MotionInfo is different, and some types too.
Hi,

What is different more specifically? That's strange cause those structs were directly obtained from the RE5 debugging symbols and is exactly what Capcom used. I also wrote a tool to read the animations based off this information which is where I quickly pulled them from. I "may" have made some small alterations but I'll get round to dumping the unaltered structs again.

Cheers.
PredatorCZ
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by PredatorCZ »

Gh0stBlade wrote: RE5 debugging symbols
You mean like .pdb files? Becouse I know only theese files have those informations.
Gh0stBlade

Post by Gh0stBlade »

PredatorCZ wrote:
Gh0stBlade wrote: RE5 debugging symbols
You mean like .pdb files? Becouse I know only theese files have those informations.
Correct.

Anyway, it looks like I did alter the structs slightly and/or mixed up the facial anim structs with non-face anim structs. It looks like Capcom have two separate animation formats. One for face.lmt the rest for the remaining animations. I'll re-send out the unaltered structs.

Cheers.
rubening
beginner

Post by rubening »

PredatorCZ wrote:You need to use Mod2Max.exe to get propper model for animations to work.
did as you said, worked to import the model but the motion script.
http://imgur.com/a/rbOWH havent worked
Last edited by rubening on Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.