Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Frogger 3D .MAP

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Miles2345
advanced

Frogger 3D .MAP

Post by Miles2345 »

Hi, I was wondering if any sorts of 3D graphics can be extracted from these MAP files found in Frogger 3D for PC?
These are maps in the game.

http://puu.sh/kI8Rq.zip
"O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention"
Miles2345
advanced

Re: Frogger 3D .MAP

Post by Miles2345 »

anything? anything I could do with hex2obj?
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Anyone? Can anyone help? Can't anyone do anything? Can't shakotay get down on his knees and service this person in a timely manner? Can't he be "helped" in finding his precious geometry? Is there no one left in this cold world that CARES?
shakotay2
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by shakotay2 »

Miles2345 wrote:anything? anything I could do with hex2obj?
you could search for point clouds - but from a first glance I don't see any (maybe you'll do if you search seriously)

you could search for structures; for example there are 28 bytes blocks with 44 43 30 FF contained in SWP1.MAP;

good luck
Tuts: a) Bigchillghost, viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17889
b) Extracting simple models: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10894
"Quoting the whole thing. Would u ever stop this nonsense?"
Miles2345
advanced

Post by Miles2345 »

MrAdults wrote:Anyone? Can anyone help? Can't anyone do anything? Can't shakotay get down on his knees and service this person in a timely manner? Can't he be "helped" in finding his precious geometry? Is there no one left in this cold world that CARES?
haha sorry, I often feel like my posts get ignored and buried by other requests and I figure they're usually very simple and it'd be beneficial for me to learn from other members who know what they're doing moreso than me. I don't post very often and when I do I usually can go on my own as soon as I know what to do.
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

If you've made an actual attempt on your own (unlike the vast majority of people that ask to have formats looked at here), you should discuss what you've tried and what/where you've investigated in the file to show you've made a real effort. I know I'm much more inclined to help people who are really trying to help themselves, and it's likely that so are quite a few others here. But I'm only going to believe someone's invested effort if they show it rather than just saying "I looked at this but I can't figure it out!"
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

360AMC wrote: Nothing? God damn it, this is such an injustice. Great game like this with a few things needing to be fixed such as traffic spawning, and it'd be easy to make a decomplier/complier, but nope. :x
The above is such a classic response from another thread that someone gave when a request to figure out a .LUA format wasn't met in a timely manner.

What it means: It is an "injustice" that the person is not helped. Also, this generic car game needs just a few things to be fixed, so COME ON, hurry up already. Finally, it would actually be EASY to make a decompiler/compiler, says the person.

One wonders why this person would need our assistance, when what it wants would actually be EASY to do.

My response.
TGE
veteran

Post by TGE »

What's the point of all this banter lol. Yeah sure, people can seem a bit witty in how they word their requests, but who cares, right? No need to post anything if it doesn't help anyone or anything, just seems silly.
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

TGE wrote:What's the point of all this banter lol. Yeah sure, people can seem a bit witty in how they word their requests, but who cares, right? No need to post anything if it doesn't help anyone or anything, just seems silly.
I agree, what is the point of all this banter about all this banter? What is the point of forums? What is the point of communication, or interacting with human beings in a sorrowful dance that can only end in the hedgehog's remorse? These are the questions we must ask in order to uncover the secrets of Frogger 3D, because like Frogger, we are destined to patterns of repetition which are fueled by an illusion of meaning.
Miles2345
advanced

Post by Miles2345 »

what has this thread come to
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

The header of the .MAP files says: "Maybe this time it'll all work fine"

Very comforting mister coder, very comforting.

Also, what has this thread come to? Kermit leapfrogged to the quintessence of Life, the Universe and Everything: Pointless Banter. And women. But without the women.

But hell, maybe this time it'll all work fine.
Xiron
ultra-n00b

Post by Xiron »

Are we even 100% sure models are in the .map files? I'm only asking because the only other option, being .wad, seems like a common extension for archives on PSX games, even if the game was ported to PC, and for the record this is a PSX/PC game.

What I've got so far from both can be found here (.map) and here (.wad). Unfortunately I'm not super pro on file reversing, so I can't get and give any more information.

Miles (OP poster) has some additional information posted here that is not in this or those topics.

Since the DL link in the OP seems to be disfunct, I've gone and uploaded a file of both specified files here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1zd34 ... nd_WAD.zip

Cheers!
Acewell
VIP member
VIP member

Post by Acewell »

i got a point cloud from your SUB1.map sample under the VRTX section :D

i could not figure out the face indices though :(
Last edited by Acewell on Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xiron
ultra-n00b

Post by Xiron »

That's amazing progress! :D
You're probably the one who has gotten furthest so far on this anywhere, so I must encourage you to keep at it. Hopefully you can figure out the faces or get help with them.
shakotay2
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by shakotay2 »

Kneesnap wrote:Could someone help me fill in the rest of the data to get a complete model?
This is what I get:
frogger_map_quads.JPG
Seems to use quads for faces and needs face indices offset (74).
hex2obj uses both but not together, that's the problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tuts: a) Bigchillghost, viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17889
b) Extracting simple models: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10894
"Quoting the whole thing. Would u ever stop this nonsense?"