Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Spotlight: Señor Casaroja's Noesis

General game file tools that are useful for more than one game
MrAdults

Spotlight: Señor Casaroja's Noesis

Post by MrAdults »

Noesis supports models from lots of games, including universal formats for Playstation Portable and Dreamcast, and specific games like Resident Evil 5, Tekken 6, and many others. You can get it here:
http://oasis.xentax.com/index.php?content=downloads

This thread is a central place for anyone who wants to talk about this program for any conceivable reason.

In the year 2014:
Xentax has stopped hosting Noesis due to bandwidth and stuff, so it's on richwhitehouse.com now. I stopped adding support for newer games a while ago, since I got kind of tired of finding the same data in a different package over and over again, and people that want to rip models from newer games are usually 600-800% more horrible. I now primarily add and maintain features for people who are actually using Noesis to some reasonably-productive end. I've released a lot of things over the years, and some of them have seen millions of downloads. Noesis is the most obscure piece of software I've spent more than a few months on, and it's been interesting to see how people leverage it to their own ends in the context of this community and other similar communities. Some of you guys are pretty great, and others I'd like to see burned alive and/or eaten by kittens. So, in the end, this project made me just a little bit more bitter toward humanity, and I guess a good number of you can suck it. Thanks, assholes! And thanks, non-assholes.

In the year 2017:
I'm still working on this thing. Unbelievable. Build automation has come a long way, here's a site that tracks everything and displays documentation for the latest build:
http://richwhitehouse.com/noesis/nms/in ... ent=readme
Last edited by MrAdults on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
firsak
advanced

Re: Señor Casaroja's Noesis

Post by firsak »

This tool is so amazing! :)
As far as I understand it is mesh2rdm, but with a nice GUI, right?
I couldn't find any references of Noesis on mesh2rdm website and vice versa.
Which of you guys is in charge? Señor Casaroja (MrAdults) or Rich Whitehouse? Or are you both the same guy?
I'm asking this, because I don't understand who I should turn to, in case I want to leave a feedback, or suppose a programmer that hacked some archive or model format wants to offer a support of a new file format and discuss things privately and so on.

Also, are you by any chance considering adding plugin support, so that people could write their own plugins for viewing models/extracting archives? I think that unification is cool and it would be very convenient if there was just one awesome tool that did all the job. :)

P.S.
I also see Kyrie in a certain pose on the main page. In the game she is in that pose floating in some jar when you fight Angelo Agnus. So i was wondering if it plays DMC4/RE/LP animations already? Or did you pose her manually?
rosciak
ultra-n00b

Post by rosciak »

Hi. I'm a guy from a team which working on Battlestations Midway and Pacific mods. We released some - just ask google for "Battlestations Midway Modders Mappack" and you will see our job. Since a year we trying to break unknown for us 3D fileformat called .MMOD.

Is this possible for creators of Noasis to take a look for this fileformat ? I can send files and also some of our discoveries.
I'm coming from http://battlestations.eu
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Brilliant tool, MrAdults. :D
noazett
advanced

Post by noazett »

Awesome! :o
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

firsak wrote:This tool is so amazing! :)
As far as I understand it is mesh2rdm, but with a nice GUI, right?
I couldn't find any references of Noesis on mesh2rdm website and vice versa.
Which of you guys is in charge? Señor Casaroja (MrAdults) or Rich Whitehouse? Or are you both the same guy?
The author prefers to remain anonymous. ;) (haha, yeah right, I messed that one up early on)

But suffice to say that all questions/comments pertaining to the program should go here, and I'll be happy to address them.
firsak wrote: Also, are you by any chance considering adding plugin support, so that people could write their own plugins for viewing models/extracting archives? I think that unification is cool and it would be very convenient if there was just one awesome tool that did all the job. :)
I totally am considering that. I'm a bit torn on the approach though. I have a great flexible and easy to use interface for feeding/converting geometry that I could expose through C++ DLL's. I also hugely prefer to work in native platform binary with a native platform debugger when I'm dissecting file formats. The problem is, though, that changes to the interface will then be breaking old plugins all the time, and it's easy to make a big terrible mess that way.

The other option is to expose plugins via a scripting language. This makes them far easier to manage. However, I hate working with scripts, and replicating native platform debugging functionality in a script debugger, to the extent that the script becomes as convenient to work with as native platform binary, is a ton of work.

So I've not settled on anything there yet. If only a few people were gonna use it, I'd go with DLL's hands down. But I'm very cautious of creating a situation where 10 people are making plugins, and then I want to change the central interface and have to either implement a ton of horrible hacks or break all of the old plugins.
firsak wrote: P.S.
I also see Kyrie in a certain pose on the main page. In the game she is in that pose floating in some jar when you fight Angelo Agnus. So i was wondering if it plays DMC4/RE/LP animations already? Or did you pose her manually?
She's actually in that pose already in another model of her in the game. :) I can't recall which file that was, though.
rosciak wrote:Hi. I'm a guy from a team which working on Battlestations Midway and Pacific mods. We released some - just ask google for "Battlestations Midway Modders Mappack" and you will see our job. Since a year we trying to break unknown for us 3D fileformat called .MMOD.

Is this possible for creators of Noasis to take a look for this fileformat ? I can send files and also some of our discoveries.
It's probably best to start a thread about it over in the 3D models forum (if there isn't one). If you post all of your discoveries there, everyone can freely contribute more findings, which is much more productive than just one guy like me working on it. :)
Mr.Mouse wrote:Brilliant tool, MrAdults. :D
Thank you, Mr.Mouse. :)
basil
beginner

Re: Spotlight: Señor Casaroja's Noesis

Post by basil »

I agree that plugin support would be totally sweet, and that's all there is to be said about that.

Also, is the data editor supposed to be working yet? I tried tweaking some bone stuff, but the changes only appeared on the first time an animation was played (load model, make changes, start animation), and they didn't show up in the exported DAE.

P.S.:
"Casa roja," huh.
If you wish to thank someone for a post, please click the Image button.
(↘corner)
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

ukurereh wrote:I agree that plugin support would be totally sweet, and that's all there is to be said about that.

Also, is the data editor supposed to be working yet? I tried tweaking some bone stuff, but the changes only appeared on the first time an animation was played (load model, make changes, start animation), and they didn't show up in the exported DAE.

P.S.:
"Casa roja," huh.
Fancy meeting you here! ;)

The data editor is indeed working, but once you start playing animations, the matrices you're editing are no longer being used for any purpose. The rendered matrices are then the ones being transformed for the animation, which aren't based at all on the base pose matrices. Skinning transforms aren't based on them either, they are based on the inverse base pose matrices, but that data isn't exposed in the data viewer presently. :) You can reset your view (F12 or middle mouse) to reset the animation state as well, which will go back to using the base bone mats.

The export process is totally separate from the preview too (you can export models not open in preview mode), so the changes made to the data in the preview model are just completely separate by nature. If the data viewer/editor ends up getting built up a lot more and made more useful, though, I'll probably go ahead and add an "export from open preview" option. I probably ought to do that anyway, since it's a rather obvious step. (preview data is already in the exact same form that exported data likes to take)
valvoga
advanced

Post by valvoga »

MrAdults thank you very much noesis is pure epic awesomeness tool
Oh yeah MrAdults will you add .pmo file support too for this tool
.pmo file is a 3d model file of kingdom heart birth by sleep
I hope you gonna make a .pmo file support for this tool because it will be awesome
if the tool can extract kingdom heart birth by sleep model
MrAdults this is an amazing tools
Oh yeah MrAdults you can extract soul eater battle resonance model too because
the model is in gmo
MrAdults for this amazing tools you deserve a cookie
And thanks a lot MrAdults for your help
brienj
VIP member
VIP member

Post by brienj »

What the heck, I'll be like the typical person that irritates myself, when it pertains to my hacks, asking questions before finding out on their own. But anyway, I was busy working on my SvR hack, so I don't have time to download the program just to see what it supports, but by any chance does it support any of the Yukes game models? Like Rumble Roses, Wrestle Kingdom, Smackdown Vs. Raw, or UFC? The Xbox 360 versions specifically. All of their model formats are very similar, yet too different to interchange. I am good at hacking, except when it comes to models, but it would make my day if you knew how to work with the Yukes models and make it possible to convert each type of model into another game, or make it so people could make their own models to use in each game. I would love you in a non-gay way forever, because this is the very last piece I need to make the best Ultra Hack on SvR 2010. :D

Here is a link to an existing topic on the board, so far only an importer for 3dsMax has been made:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3903

Here is my website, where I have models in the SvR2010 v2.0 section as well as all the files for that particular hack, if you are interested in it:
http://brienj.home.insightbb.com/

Edit: Actually, I just remembered that the models on my site are all the modified ones for the hack. If you would like unaltered models for the SvR games, as well as any other Yukes game, I can send you links in your PM Box. I also forgot to mention that the PAC files for the models contain compressed files within them, that are compressed with a special BPE format. aluigi's tool with a correct BMS script can extract them, or I can send you uncompressed data if you need it.

Thanks for any help you can give me. :)
Wudan
ultra-n00b

Post by Wudan »

It's a pretty cool tool MrAdults.

I got my first taste of messing with model formats on the Jedi Knight II and sequel games. When I saw the renderer I spotted a familiar model and thought, oh, somebody else has worked on those formats (esp. seeing the skeleton) and now when I read this thread it makes sense.

Really cool stuff, really strange to be bumping in to you so many years later.

I've been working on the RE:5 models (which the format is used in all of capcom's MT engine games, following the many threads here on that.

Really, just cool, thanks for sharing with the world.
Tosyk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by Tosyk »

Ok, i try make quick request. MrAdults, can you add support of assassin's creed 1/2 and Prince of Persia (assassins same engine) with weight data and bones? I think Turfster (site) can help handle with this games.

Thank for megatool by the way.
Last edited by Tosyk on Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you for all you do here
my blog | my forum
wyllman
ultra-n00b

Post by wyllman »

Hi,

does noeis open .sgbin files(cities xl model)???

byes.
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

These are the supported formats as of the last release.

Code: Select all

.obj - WaveFront OBJ
.md5mesh - md5mesh (Doom 3, Prey, etc.)
.md5anim - md5anim (Doom 3, Prey, etc.)
.ase - 3D Studio Max ASE
.bsp - Quake 3 BSP
.bsp - Quake 1/Half-Life BSP
.animlist - Animlist
.lzs - FF7 PSX Battle Model
.proc - Doom 3 Engine Proc File
.glm;.gla - GHOUL2 Model or Animation
.rdm - RDM (model)
.rda - RDA (anim)
.smd - Valve SMD
.png - Heightmap
.raw - FF7 Crisis Core Model
.gmo - GMO Model/Animation
.ymo - YMO Model
.trb - FF13 Model
.tp;.tpr;.gmd - DOAX2/NG2 Model
.pac - Sword of the Berserk Model
.mld - Skies of Arcadia Model
.nj - Ninja Chunk Model
.dae - COLLADA
.rdmfrank - RDM Frankenstein
.bin - Hokuto Musou Model
.nmd - SC4 Model
.mod - DMC4/RE5/LP Model
.3ds - 3D Studio Max Binary
.ply - Stanford PLY
.map - Half-Life .map
.rim - RIM Image
.dds - DDS Image
.tex - DMC4/RE5/etc. Tex Image
.pvr - Ninja-style PVR Image
.tm2 - TIM2 Image
.gim - GIM Image
.tim - TIM Image
.tga - TGA Image
.png - PNG Image
.arc - ARC2.0 container
.fpk - FPK container
.pbp - PBP container
.bnd - BND container
.bnd - BND305 container
.thfs - THFS container
.hed - HED/WAD container
.xpk - XPK container
.dll - Windows Portable Executable
.ftr - FTR container
.arc - ARC container
.arc - ARC zlib/xmem container
.pak - Quake/Half-Life PAK container
.ni - NI/NA container
.tbd - TBD container
.dat - DAT/.1 container
.x360.bin - FF13 container
.zarc - ZARC container
.iso - ISO container
.afs - AFS container
brienj
VIP member
VIP member

Post by brienj »

Awesome, thanks for posting what it supports, just bummed no Yukes models are in there. If you ever want to help me with the Yukes model formats, just let me know. :)